Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Victoria in the 90s was a very well written character. She was definitely Victor's daughter: strong-willed, independent and she was not afraid to speak her mind. She had also a vulnerable side (like 'Christian Miller') and that made her a complex character in all her relantioships. Heather Tom was (and still is) so talented: her Victoria was a leader, a Victor 2.0.

I can understand why she left Y&R in 2003. The essence of her character had changed. Victoria was marginalized as business woman and her latest love interests weren't that great. Rafael was a b-storyline and the pairing with Diego was more focused on the Nick-Sharon-Diego triangle than on Victoria & Diego's feelings for each other. There were also long periods of no storyline at all for Vicky.

I believe in Heather Tom's last months on the show producers and writers tried to revamp Victoria, giving her more space, a new house, a flirt with Damon Porter and the pairing with Michael Baldwin. I liked HT and CLB together, they started to have such a good chemistry (but I love Michael & Lauren). Victoria and Michael, both so smart and unique. Unfortunately Heather left the show soon after and the pairing was stopped. In 2005, when Vicky'AH come back to GC, visited Michael and found out that Lauren was his new love interest.

Edited by RestlessDuncan

• Members

Who was behind the decision to change Victoria's character? It is clearly sexism, but still it is a major and risky decision to change such a popular character so radically. It cost Y&R in the end and contributed to Smith's demise so there is some well deserved karma there.

I never liked that they were using Victoria to redeem the horrible Michael so I was glad when that ended quickly. There is no way that I could buy Victoria being interested in Michael.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I'm having a problem with videobash lately so I apologize for putting so many videos here.

Brenda's first day back as Jill. She already had that haughtiness in her voice. I wonder if this was how Deborah was playing her by the end?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va42rYRUHJE

Nina Arvesen's channel is putting up some short clips I don't remember seeing before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1SJMu9cXEQ

• Members

Thanks for the vids Carl. I am pretty sure Brenda's first scene back was with Marla Adams and occurred around Sep 9th 1983 (around that week anyway). It used to be on youtube. When Dina came to the Abbott house to visit and caught Jill drinking in the afternoon. They had a very deliciously bitchy fight.

Actually the scene (footage not just audio) you posted audio of used to be on YT in an edited form, but had Jill talking to her mother about Kay trying to destroy her marriage as well. What you miss is when Kay says "You really are a......." she forms a c with her mouth before stopping herself, or so it seems, lol.

There were so many scenes of Brenda's first few months, and a ton of Brenda's scenes from 1984 as well, but they have since disappeared. Too bad, I liked her in the first two years she was back. I wish they would be re-posted.

• Members

I had to laugh when Ashley dismissed that year as "bizarre." I guess Ashley's history with psychos made her blase.

I really miss Brenda Epperson.

That's the same place (location) that April wandered around in when her husband was spying on her. Y&R must have made a deal with the town.

• Members

Haha, I just want to make sure everyone gets their daily dosage of classic Y&R :) I actually am going to upload the July 1991 episodes I just got in a little bit, but I just wanted to upload the one episode from 1993 first because I thought that Ashley/Traci moment would be interesting to see.

I can't wait to upload those episodes, you get to see some of Victoria's scheming in breaking up Victor and Ashley, but most exciting is these are the episodes where Molly has the stroke at Fenmore's.