Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Silvio Berlusconi died. Lots of pictures of his life as television entrepreneur are emerging these days. One caught my attention. Settled in the hall of his main tv station near Milan, it shows a row of televisions (on his tv networks). One of them was broadcasting The Young and the Restless (I guess the woman is K.T. Stevens, who played Vanessa Prentiss). The photo was taken in early 1986 at 7,40 pm. At the time YR in Italy was 4 years and half behind US. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Dru and Lillie Belle's conflict is so utterly real, painful, and fascinating. This is a May sweeps story

Please register in order to view this content

I swear, I have never liked Neil more than when he called Lillie Belle a "first class bitch." Totally unexpected, holler-out-loud type of moment!

I also really loved Victor's complex reaction to the truth about Nikki's fall coming out. From defending himself staunchly, to his emotional reaction and heartbreak over being rejected and blamed, to self-pitying. This is the reason why he's THE Victor Newman and (almost) as recognizable a name as Erica Kane. What a character.

• Members

The Dru/Lillie Belle confrontation where Dru learned she was the result of marital rape and that Lillie Belle wanted to end the pregnancy was one of Victoria Rowell's best performances. 30 years later that scene is still powerful.

• Members

By the time I started watching Y&R around 89/90, Carl was barely there or already gone, but I thought he did an excellent job in his amnesia/return storyline and I think they made a mistake in writing him out for good at that time. He was a very solid presence with a spark about him - frankly, better than the part itself. I hope his last years were peaceful.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It’s a shame we don’t have that much of his, well as far as anything from the early 80s but it definitely was a mistake that he didn’t get to stay on throughout the course of the 90s, and that Bill Bell or Kay Alden wouldn’t have had to do the odd amnesia story, as good as it might have been told. He was definitely believable in the detective role and had great father/son Chemistry with Doug Davidson. 

• Members

I agree. The 1998 storyline was my first time seeing him and he was great. When someone posted those big clip compilations of 1982-1988, there was a lot of material with the Williams family that was wonderful to see. Carl's rivalry with Terry Lester's Jack is so underrated. They played off each other so well.

There is a little bit about Brett Hadley's life in retirement in this article from 2020: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-04-10/motion-picture-television-fund-residents-coronavirus

• Members

It's a pity the Williams family got lost during the 80's and was reduced to Paul and Mary.

Steve could have returned, maybe in a version of the Steve Lassiter character played by rod Arrants. marrying Ashley. There would have been another Williams/Abbott hook up. Imagine Patty returning for the wedding!

The Carl amnesia story was disappointing. Firstly it was a complete rewrite of what had (hadn't) happened on screen only a few years before. and once it was done, everybody else got amnesia and Carl was never mentioned again.

To me the story would have worked better had they set up that Carl had become distant. Maybe Mary mentions he constantly going off to a fishing cabin for weekends and breaks. Then Chris spots him at the airport with another woman. It all comes out that he was living a double life with Ruth.

It would have been believable that he would have tired of Mary and her narrow minded views.

So much drama to be mined from that without the corny amnesia aspect.

• Members

I can see how they got into the situation. You have the actor on recurring, you work him when there is a good crime story, then you work him less, but you don't want to completely write him off and make him leave town, just in case you need him, so it's just kind of assumed he's around until it just becomes comical... it's ironically the same thing that happened to Doug Davidson. They could have just said he died offscreen like Stuart Brooks or Mary Williams and let it be, but at least they tried to resolve it with a little retcon, and it was nice to have Mary in a big storyline. Back in those days, once in a while Gina, Mary, Miguel, Carol, or Esther would get their moment in the sun. Nowadays even the once great characters like Lauren and Michael you can rest assured will never be featured in a storyline of their own ever again.