Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

@SoapDope That's awesome, thanks for sharing, Ron Becker seems so nasty almost evil in the show, which makes his ending so horrifying. 1976 seems like such a dark and often morbid period of the show, slowly moving towards the gothic style Bell went for shortly after

As a side note: I found this article. The reviewer seems to hate the show, but actually gives a synopsis for the Thursday March 29, 1973 episode, even though they hate it.

So we have synopsis for at least 3 episode from week one, haha

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That was cool to read! despite the author's negative opinions.

I had know idea the Henderson Family was shown or even mentioned during the first weeks of the show...I thought maybe they came 6 months down the line....I'm guessing Bill Bell changed the Russell/Jim name to Mark when he was cast. 

• Members

I haven't seen anyone else bring this up, but if Bruce Henderson is Liz Foster's brother, that makes her maiden name Liz Henderson. That's the same name given as Beth Logan's maiden name on B&B. When Beth is in the hospital for breast cancer, Stephanie sees that she has a Henderson family Bible and she is "Liz Henderson" from college. There are already so many similarities between the Logans and the Fosters. I wonder if Bill Bell knew a woman named Liz Henderson who was abandoned by her spouse?

Since Bruce turns out to be Lorie's father, this also makes Lorie a cousin of Greg, Snapper, and Jill (before the Jill adoption retcon), which I don't believe has ever been addressed on the show.

• Members

Haha I didn't think of that at all! I guess the real Liz Henderson was a friend of the Bells or something!

I wonder if we saw Bruce interact with his sister and niece and nephews onscreen? I just know Bruce honestly as the guy Jennifer leaves Stuart for. 

• Members

They were mentioned in pre-press info as the other family in town, so this article probably got the info from there, they probably are mentioned early on but I don't think anyone is seen until June 1973.

Robert Clarke who played Bruce Henderson didn't join until June 1973. Presumably when Liz is in hospital for surgery. It seems this kicks off the Jennifer/Bruce affair storyline as Bryna Laub's DSN mentions this in the Jan 74 synopsis. 

• Members

That's right, Y&R was head-to-head w/ then-#2 All My Children in the Eastern time zone and in some areas in the Central/Mountain/Pacific time zones from February 4, 1980 to June 5, 1981. In that time period, Y&R had CBS's then-lowest rated daytime drama Search for Tomorrow as it's lead-in in the Eastern time zone and in some areas in the Central/Mountain/Pacific time zones so I think that also affected the 1980/1981 ratings. ABC's huge rise in the late 1970s/early 1980s really seemed to shake up CBS, thus the daytime drama schedule was rearranged again on June 8, 1981.

• Members

H. Wes Kenney also replaced Conboy in 1982, and by all accounts, he was very instrumental in helping Bell work out the kinks of the hour-long format. He later said he regretted leaving Y&R for GH and said the best experience of his daytime career was at Y&R. It seemed like he and Bell had a bit of a falling out as well, but I can't recall what that was about. 

• Members

That was neat to watch! One question though - was that Trish Stewart playing Chris in that clip? And it’s weird seeing 1984 Pamela Peters, as I had only seen her during some 1973 and 1975 episodes on here.

And I’m disappointed that they never broached the subject of Lance in that discussion, considering that’s the reason that Lorie left town in the first place.

• Members

Yes that is Trish Stewart, In SOD at the time it was stated that she had health problems that lead to her weight gain.

What was Janice Lynde doing at that time? Was she on OLTL or not asked/declined to appear as Leslie?

It would have been nice to have all the original Brooks girls together.

This reunion was not about digging into past stories - just for us to know everyone from the past was doing OK.

• Members

could you guys IMAGINE if stuff like the 1982 edits/episodes being uploaded would surface for 1978-80 and surround Kay, Jill, Suzanne, Derek, and Nikki?!?!? That would be SUCH a topper to all of this. Now that we’ve got the ‘82 stuff, I have hope that someday we’ll get just that. 

Just imagine what all we could see!

• Members

A few month prior to Y&R premiere, there was a highly rated ABC movie of the week that aired on November 22, 1972. It was titled " All My Darling Daughters".....in it Robert Young is the father of 4 very different daughters that all get married on the same day. Their similarities to the Brooks sisters is uncanny. The youngest daughter played by red head Judy Strangis even sounds like Pamela Peters Peggy. I wonder if Bell saw this movie and became a bit influenced by it that he tweaked his storyline bible for the sisters ? 

Yes that is a pre- Cagney & Lacey Sharon Gless as one of the daughters.

Fawne Harriman, Darleen Carr, Robert Young, Judy Strangis, Sharon Gless Appearing In 'All My Darling Daughters' : News Photo