October 25-29, 2010

Toups

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you only had a clue as to how much MONEY they are saving i.e. no licensing fees (COST CUTS are a big deal now)....and how great that looks to investors & analysts who were so happy with their earnings call today.

Then why not talk about that instead of saying oh look, we tied OLTL? Look at our selectively highlighted demo performance?

They are downgrading their own show with the silly stuff.

• Members

Les Moonves and the people at CBS will probably move this show to 12PM East Coast time if it fails at 2. This show is more "morning fare" anyway than 1 in the afternoon.

Yep, actually I think that's eventually the goal if LM & Co. sees that there is real promise./lots of profit LOL in the show. And if Y&R #s keeps trending the way they are with the sh***y storylines that most times trickle down to B&B losing points as well..let's just say Y&R being #1 means absolutely nothing to me right now just for the fact that CBS doesn't own it or produce it.

I can tell you The Talk is a hit here in South Florida.

• Members

Even at a 1.6, CBS is making a lot more money and, with time, The Talk might actually catch on and gain viewers. Was The View a big hit at the show's debut? View has been retool numerous times and there is little doubt that The Talk will under go similiar alterations. The Talk in it's current form is far from dead, pulling only slightly less viewers than those of OLTL or ATWT, but with considerably lower production costs.

Does anyone know what Tyra Banks ratings were for the final CW season? I bet she would have done far better on CBS as part of a programming block.

• Members

CBS doesn't tend to do all that well at renovations with their light talk show things. The last one I think worked for CBS This Morning (I know that's supposed to be news but I don't see it as news) was Harry Smith and Paula Zahn and Mark McEwen. Everyone since then has been a mixed bag, to put it kindly, even with a name change.

All they really need to do is get rid of Remini, and I would also say Robinson-Peete and Winakour, and just replace them with a rotating guest panelist for each week.

• Members

Then why not talk about that instead of saying oh look, we tied OLTL? Look at our selectively highlighted demo performance?

'Cuz it sounds good. Because they're showing how they're faring against another network show. They're not comparing themselves against syndicated shows or shows airing in different timeslots (i.e. The View), because that wouldn't make sense or be fair or logical. But they can compare their network-owned show against another network-owned show that airs at the same time period as their own. Makes sense to me.

Although... I thought it was funny how ABC used to compare GH's ratings to GL's, when GL aired at 10am/9am on so many of the big affiliates (NYC, Chicago, etc.). Oh well. That's spin for ya.

Also, these numbers *are* decent for a new talk show, considering it's the year 2010.

• Members

Why would they have to point that out in the ratings. The people who know and need to know that sort of financial stuff are probably already trying to convince them that having soaps they don't own and that are no longer doing as well as they were and this is just in the last 2 years) is a lost cause and there is no profit in them. But perhaps because they consider Y&R and B&B to be "special" and their relationship w/the Bells they are still around. Though I don't know how "special" they are anymore. I actually think they currently like B&B more.

• Members

'Cuz it sounds good. Because they're showing how they're faring against another network show.

Yeah but OLTL isn't exactly seen as a powerhouse. The show has always been treated as ABC's "other" soap, whether that's fair or not.

If they are saving money and if they are doing well in demos, then why not just focus on that, instead of some competition with a soap which has rarely been the type of known name GH or AMC once were.

This also means that if OLTL starts beating them in the demo, people might say, "Well, The Talk is tanking," even if that's not true.

• Members

Yeah but OLTL isn't exactly seen as a powerhouse. The show has always been treated as ABC's "other" soap, whether that's fair or not.

If they are saving money and if they are doing well in demos, then why not just focus on that, instead of some competition with a soap which has rarely been the type of known name GH or AMC once were.

This also means that if OLTL starts beating them in the demo, people might say, "Well, The Talk is tanking," even if that's not true.

OLTL needs to be marketed for what makes it unique.

It's the only NYC soap left.

• Members

I don't quite get the OLTL/Talk competition (and why doesn't DAYS play into it?) I can't see The Talk really bleeding viewers from OLTL one way or the other--or people who tried The Talk for a week, maybe watched ATWT or who knows what, and nowhave switched to OLTL. Am I crazy?

In the majority of the markets the only soap that The Talk is up against is One Life To Live, which is why CBS keeps making that comparison.

• Members

CBS doesn't tend to do all that well at renovations with their light talk show things. The last one I think worked for CBS This Morning (I know that's supposed to be news but I don't see it as news) was Harry Smith and Paula Zahn and Mark McEwen. Everyone since then has been a mixed bag, to put it kindly, even with a name change.

All they really need to do is get rid of Remini, and I would also say Robinson-Peete and Winakour, and just replace them with a rotating guest panelist for each week.

Awwww I like her too, oh well...

• Members

Even at a 1.6, CBS is making a lot more money and, with time, The Talk might actually catch on and gain viewers. Was The View a big hit at the show's debut? View has been retool numerous times and there is little doubt that The Talk will under go similiar alterations. The Talk in it's current form is far from dead, pulling only slightly less viewers than those of OLTL or ATWT, but with considerably lower production costs.

Does anyone know what Tyra Banks ratings were for the final CW season? I bet she would have done far better on CBS as part of a programming block.

Well, THE TALK already fell to 1.5 its second week. A lot of talk shows premiere well then fall off dramatically. Be interesting to see where it's at by end of the year.

• Members

I did notice from the chunks I saw, that already they seem to have told The Talk ladies to be much more combative and abrassive than last week (which, frankly, is smart because the "I love and respect you and everything you say" attitude last year was deathly even if it was meant to be a contrast to The View).

I thought The View was a respectable semi success in its first year?

• Members

I did notice from the chunks I saw, that already they seem to have told The Talk ladies to be much more combative and abrassive than last week (which, frankly, is smart because the "I love and respect you and everything you say" attitude last year was deathly even if it was meant to be a contrast to The View).

I thought The View was a respectable semi success in its first year?

IDK, I read Rosie's year was their highest rated ever.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • On Soap Opera Network

• Community Posts

• This blast from the past showed up in my FB memories today & it seems just as salient now. One of WLS Top 25 Blunders 16. The Mismanagement of the Final Years of AS THE WORLD TURNS The first several years of the Chris Goutman era as executive producer of AS THE WORLD TURNS were award-winning and critically acclaimed, full of actors who couldn't praise their leader enough in the press. The final years were the complete opposite. The constant pats on the back were gone. In their place were a lot of confusing casting decisions, rumored turmoil, and the unbelievable mistreatment of the legendary Eileen Fulton. The show that had the most history that was still intact had a leader who could not have cared less. Letting the brilliant Larry Bryggman (John Dixon) walk away in 2004 was a huge blow to the show and a definite sign the tide was turning. Seeing his return for a few weeks at the very end of ATWT's run in September 2010 proved what an asset he was and what a hole he left. Similarly, allowing Martha Byrne (Lily Snyder) to leave, and acting so cavalier about it in the media, was infuriating and turned off many fans. Even when the classy Noelle Beck offered to step aside so Byrne could return to ATWT in the final months for a reunion of Lily and Holden, Goutman refused. Firing a returned Scott Bryce, who actually made the character of Craig human despite awful writing, was another head scratcher. We don't know if it was pride, personal grudges, or complete incompetence but this was not the man who turned this soap around in the early 2000s. What happened? And where was Procter & Gamble? They seemed to have lost interest in both their remaining soaps at the time. ATWT still showed moments of brilliance in its final years with Maura West (Carly), Michael Park (Jack) and Colleen Zenk (Barbara) leading a cast that gave their all, no matter what story was written. But there was no explaining the act of continuing to introduce new (and mostly unlikable) characters through the final months of the show. There was no justifying the rapid-pace style of editing that seemed to confuse and alienate viewers. And there was no reason to back burner daytime legends such as Don Hastings (Bob), Kathryn Hays (Kim), and Elizabeth Hubbard (Lucinda). As for Lisa and Ms. Fulton, what a horrible way to end this soap. All soap opera final episodes are not made alike. For every perfect ending (SEARCH FOR TOMORROW's Jo and Stu come to mind) there is a Paul Rauch stomping on a cigarette or CAPITOL having Sloane standing in front a firing squad. It's not always easy to wrap up a soap in a limited amount of time. But no soap opera had ever had as much time between their cancellation notice and leaving the airwaves as 54-year war horse AS THE WORLD TURNS. The logical ending would focus on Nancy Hughes, but unfortunately the legendary Helen Wagner passed away the month before the show wrapped production. So obviously, the next thought would be the characters of Bob and Lisa, played by Don Hastings and Eileen Fulton, who both joined the cast in 1960 (that's 50 years earlier!). The show got it (mostly) right with Bob and let him have the final words on the air. But Lisa, they couldn't have got it more wrong. Why didn't Lisa have some kind of storyline in the final months? Fans had been questioning her airtime for years. But surely, knowing the soap was going away forever, was't Lisa entitled to one last hurrah? The producers and writers instead gave her only two scenes in the final episode, as a supporting character in the Lucinda-John reunion and in quite insulting circumstances as well. The character of Lisa is credited as TV's first "bitch" and characters like Erica Kane or Alexis Colby may not have existed without her! That's huge. That's history. So what kind of historic tribute did ATWT pay to Lisa on the last show? They gave her four lines and a sarcastic talking-down-to from Lucinda and John. At the very least, would a phone call from an old flame like Grant Colman have hurt? Put them all together, and these decisions demonstrate a lack of respect for AS THE WORLD TURNS as a cultural icon, a lack of consideration of its millions of viewers around the world, and a general sense of contempt for the show on behalf of Goutman and P&G. The consistent and systematic dismantling of this beloved soap through poor management decisions remains a shameful blight in television history, and a tragic example of how ignorance and disdain can ruin an American institution. ____________________ This was the Executive Producer who openly wept at the end of ANOTHER WORLD, but who faced Jen Lenhart, ATWT Editor at Soap Opera Digest, in a 2008 Q&A and told her that he had no need to read fan mail, that HE knew what was right for the show -- not the fans.  
    • IIRC Ginger is a volunteering kindergarten teacher, at least in the early seasons. Not sure she's even getting paid.
    • Finally NLG's reel basis is out & about in the universe: On YT look for "GH Alexis 04 08 21". Haven't seen it yet myself but saw some people who had who are raving about it. Also she gave an interview to MFairman & its supposed to be of great interest. NLG talks to MFairman about her emmy reel
    • Interview with Michelle Lee. The marriage didn't last. Love James Farentino choosing a career woman because it would benefit him. Maybe Michele had a rethink on hubby's attitude? Interesting to note that none of the Knots ladies worked when the show premiered (did Ginger?), a reflection of the times that middle class women were expected to be 'housewives' and content with that. But things were changing... July 1980  Michele Lee calls 'Knots' ' a precedent-setting show By STACEY JENEL SMITH Chicago Tribune Service Michele Lee hates to admit it, but she nearly turned down her role in "Knots Landing." "My response was 'Oh, God playing the mother of a teenager! I'll be typecast as a matron and won't be able to get work. "The roles society puts on women ! It's as If once they're mothers, they're put out to pasture. "But the last few months have given me a whole new positive perspective on it, a whole new awareness,". she says. I know now I'm really lucky. And maybe it sounds funny to say this, but I really feel that this character is a contribution." Certainly the past decade has brought changes in television's treatment of divorcees and widows with the emergence of such shows as Bonnie' Franklin's "One Day at a Time." But as far as Michele is concerned, the "Knots Landing" character is still a precedent-setter. "You now have the opportunity for a viewing audience to see a positive, 'now,' 'together' wife and mother," she says. "She's liberated and she chooses not to work. I used to think I was liberated because I worked, but now I know that being liberated has to do with what's inside you. Karen doesn't consider herself 'just a housewife' and she isn't." Michele who like her  her character, Karen, is 37, sits in the sunny patio of a Los Angeles cafe, excitedly expounding upon all the plus points of her video alter ego. She describes scenes from the "Knots" series in which Karen has distinguished herself as honest, bright and capable sparing no detail. It soon becomes clear not only that the show's producers need not be concerned about her dedication to "Knots," but that effervescent, enthusiastic Michele could make quite a filibuster artist. She is equally enthusiastic when it comes to discussion of her 14-year-old union with actor James Farentino, a topic which, naturally, she includes during her talk about "now," liberated women and progressive marriage. "He conscientiously searched for a career woman to marry and that was before the new awareness, before the women's movement got started. He felt it would give him more freedom. ' That's how he saw it. He'd known men whose wives' days didn't begin until their husbands came home, husbands who were under real pressure to fulfill this other person. He saw it as a stifling influence. , "Sometimes things get uncomfortable when we're both working, when neither of us is at home," Michele says with a shrug, "but that comes with the territory." . She explains that under such circumstances, the Farentinos' longtime housekeeper is entrusted with the care of their 10-year-Old son, David Michael. Making the commitment to the long hours a TV series involves was a weighty decision for Michele. "One of my Own personal goals was to be on a television series," says the woman who grew up around show business as the daughter of a Hollywood studio makeup man before hitting Broadway for the first time at age 17, going on to the stage and screen versions of "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," and becoming a steadily working theater, film and TV actress and singer. "I know the enormous responsibility of being a parent and I don't take it lightly. I know I'm responsible to David and I also know that I'm responsible to myself. When I'm working, I let him know how rewarding and fulfilling it is to me. I also make it a point to reserve a period of time every day just for him, really concentrating with direct, one-to-one contact."  If there's any doubt of her intensity when it comes to parenting, Michele goes on at length discussing the numerous child-rearing methods endorsed by the group PET (Parent Effectiveness Training), of which she is a member. And discussing child-rearing advice she has gleaned from books. And discussing how some of the tips she has picked up in her research (such as the importance of avoiding "labels" in describing people) have had a great impact on her life. "Sure it's tough to have a career that's important to you and to be a wife and mother at the same time. It does become a juggling match. But I think that any woman who wants it all can do it. Hopefully one day it'll be common for men to share more in the responsiblities of the home. A lot of working women today come home from their jobs jobs that are nine to five just like their husbands' and go bananas trying to prepare dinner while the men are relaxing with a martini. Because the woman's role is to cook." One would guess that's not the case at Michele's and Jim's house. "He cooks, he cooks," she assures with a laugh, "more often than I do. It's something that happened out of pleasure because Jim really likes to cook. He cooks when he wants to or, sometimes he might say, 'Hey, cook tonight, will you?' which is fine with me." Michele envisions a not-so-distant future in which both men's and women's job schedules may be planned around home responsibilities, when mothers and fathers will. trade off days of working and days of being home with their children. "After all the upheaval and all the shifting and all the pain of the changes we're going ' through now," she says, "we'll come out of it with ' a new flexibility for families. I don't buy the idea that the family is disappearing, though, because we need it too much. I am absolutely positive that the family will always last." She wants to get into such current sociological matters as the liberated-into-confusion woman and the threatened man on "Knots Landing," particularly since, she jokes, her character serves as such a wonderful mouthpiece. "Karen feels the same way about things as I do, 'cause I say so."   
    • Watching the end credits of the 1966 episode just caught my eye: Elizabeth Harrower had what I can only assume was a small role on the show as an actress two years before her daughter, and 13 before she'd take over as head writer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy