LaQuanda Platt, BTG production supervisor,
talks about living with sickle cell anemia
https://www.instagram.com/p/Dd6IFo9x_cy/
Sept. 30, 2026
elleq.everything (LaQuanda Plantt)
September is Sickle Cell Awareness Month & on this last day of September I’m going to share my story. October 8, 1979 I was born with Sickle Cell Anemia. I was an extremely sick child. I was in the hospital so much I thought it was a normal place everyone went to… St. Francis Hospital Children’s floor was like Cheers, everyone knew my name lol
Having Sickle Cell has been apart of my journey my entire life and most of the time I battle my illness silently. When I first started ElleQ Casting, I would be in the hospital with my MacBook booking talent. I have always been a fighter, since I was a child & the doctors told my mother I wouldn’t live past seven years old I have always done what those told me I could not do….this journey is a long one but let’s fast forward to February, 2026 my shoulder surgery 🙏🏽
When I was 27 I was diagnosed with Avascular necrosis which meant the bone in my shoulder was deteriorating because not enough oxygen was flowing through my blood stream etc…but because I was only 27 I was too young for surgery fast forward almost 20yrs I’m going to have the surgery.
A normal person’s hemoglobin is around 12-16, mine is 8…when you have surgery your blood level naturally drops which was a concern for my surgeon but I was cleared for surgery because that was a normal level for me, however, my surgeon wanted me to get my blood checked a few days after my surgery.
Tuesday February 18, 2026 I woke up knowing I was going to get my blood checked but something didn’t feel right so I asked my son to take me to the ER. My oxygen level was extremely low and they immediately brought me back to a room. The doctors discovered I had a pulmonary embolism and they told me if I hadn’t come in I wouldn’t have made it another day. I had a blood clot in my lungs #saywhatnow
I was in the ICU for three days, hospitalized for six but GOD 🙏🏽
A simple surgery procedure turned into a life or death experience….that is sickle cell. #sicklecellawareness #sicklecellwarrior
I deal with my illness in private but look at what GOD has done for me. I am blessed beyond any measure 🙏🏽❤️💪🏽
By
janea4old ·
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.