October 25-29, 2010

Toups

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, you guarantee it?

Well, I don't make guarantees myself but I do predict OLTL goes up in viewership. I think the fallout from the big climaxes for so many characters will bring viewers back. Plus today was a juicy reveal. But let's meet back here next week and see how we did with our crystal balls.

As for rest of soaps, only watch GH and I don't see anything this week that helps it rebound really.

• Members

Sorry no. I live in Ohio. I never hope for bad weather. Screw the soaps. If they want to increase ratings then maybe they should make some improvements.

He'll be back. But you're right. David shouldn't have to carry the show. JY is okay but I agree he doesn't have the presence of a VI or DC. If you look at the crop AMC see has to work with it's puzzling. Jake could be great were it not for RPG, Frankie could be great if they wrote for him, Brot definitely has the sensitive hero thing going but he's sharing a room with Frankie on the Brown Backburner and Scott as played by Cosgrove is an unknown quantity. Damon and Asher are twinks not leading men.

But I think we know what's going to happen, Griffin will become the new Aidan.

• Members

2.4 million viewers sucks but by current standards relative to other soaps (Days, GH, AMC) ain't so bad considering OLTL recent gains as well as the the competition's even larger losses. OLTL is currently the one semi-bright spot on the ABC Daytime schedule and, with the current gains, one less headache for Frons with AMC stalled and GH dropping like a rock. If Guza, master of the sweeps stunt, can't gain his footing, OLTL may end up on top of the ABC soap pack. The real question is whether being on top with 2.4 million viewers even matters?

• Members

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as I wrote the post. I live in NYC and it can get really bad here, too.

Question: how do the Bell soaps stay so steady seemingly regardless of story. I know there have been small drops over the last month, really since the end of World, but, otherwise, both Y&R and B&B have stayed steady for over one year. I get this feeling that these two shows have just become habit for a lot of people. I'm just suprised that ABC hasn't hired Adlen or Smith and transformed at least one soap into a Y&R clone.

• Members

Can't stand AMC but don't want to see it cancelled. GH's downfall is hilarious if only due to GH's reputation- and Guza and Fron's supreme idiocy. OLTL, not surprised as the show's ratings are so bizarre. OLTL could easily be last place in all categories next week, with the exception of 18-49 where it could easily be second to last! But I am enjoying the show once again and I am very happy to see it surviving against CBS's NEW. HIT. SERIES. THE TALK!!!!! What a horror show.

• Members

It's not about infecting the show as much as exploiting the connections already there. I don't believe that anyone cares about Brenda/Dante. I do think people care about Brenda/Robin. Having Brenda in that story would have been better, to me, than doing some bizarre reset button on Robin/Lisa and having even more bizarre writing which tries to blame the whole thing on Robin and says she should stop being ungrateful because at least she isn't getting a beating from her husband.

• Members

Nobody really sucks up all of AMC under the new writers at least for 3 out of 4 months so far. The episodes counts look like CBS ones.

They definitely should not do this again mid-week. Not that I'm putting this all on the repeats but I don't think it helped an already bad and sad situation. If you have to do it, do it on a Monday or do it on a Friday - do not do it mid-week.

• Members

Y&R has a better timeslot and is at about the same level, or lower, that it was when Sheffer and Rauch were brought in, but you're right that they are still in a stronger position than the others.

B&B I think has had some bleeding and will probably continue to do so.

• Members

The idea that OLTL is not in a better position than AMC or GH right now is ludicrous.

OLTL is doing better right now. Period.

True, it's more about GH and AMC dropping than OLTL rising, but what's the difference? That's the only way soaps have been changing ranking positions for years now. Aside from DAYS' increases last year, the news in soapland has been about all the shows dropping, further and further. The fact that AMC and GH are dropping faster than OLTL *is* a good thing for OLTL.

And...it's true that most shows are pretty low right now. Aside from Y&R at the top, and AMC at the bottom, the other four shows all tied in the 18-49 demo this week. But keep in mind....the shows won't all be canceled at once. Sure, they'll all be canceled sooner rather than later, but OLTL at its current level will surely guarantee it a year or more past AMC's expiration date. And if GH keeps tanking? OLTL could be the last ABC soap standing. It's not impossible anymore.

Archived