October 25-29, 2010

Toups

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dante was once the most promising new character in years and Guza gutted him.

Sonny shooting Dante spiked GH over 3 million viewers. I believe many ex-GHers returned hoping at long last Sonny had gone too far by shooting an unarmed cop. Dante originally was a truly good guy in the line of Robert Scorpio, rescuing damsels and infiltrating the mob only to take it down. He's since become a corrupt cop LYING for Sonny and covering for Jason and Sonny. HUGE mistake Guza made teaming up Dante with Jason so much. Dante and Lucky as good cops was the team needed to counter balance the dark mobsters. JJ's Lucky was always a truly GOOD guy and Guza could have rebuilt around him and Dante working together.

Sonny is a disgusting excuse for a character who never ever pays but some characters do get to ream him. Jason is the saint of Port Charles, it's ridiculous and he's the biggest pit.

• Members

Isn't the only reason OLTL remains under budget due to Frank Valentini's production model? Actors at recent fan events confirmed it's one take and you're done at OLTL. Even if actor objects that it's not a good take, it's very rarely re-shot. FV also tapes so far in advance, their studio goes dark more weeks than GH/AMC do.

Not privy to backstage info at AMC, but GH can barely stay 3 weeks ahead on taping and there's always rewrites and cuts scenes over there which must be expensive too.

• Members

I think it was a mistake to bring JJ back without any plan. They have no idea what to do with him and just shoehorn him in, and the damage done to Lucky's relationships with his family doesn't just go away because Greg Vaughan did. Luke these days is such a diminished character that it just won't ever be the same. They clearly destroyed the last shreds of his relationship with Liz to try to show that Lucky was cool now and didn't need this woman who was according to him at her best when bleeding in the snow, but that has basically led to a lot of time in a supporting role and a mostly offcamera romance with a recurring character.

The only way they ever could have made Lucky work again was if they had genuinely changed the nature of the show and they don't want to do that.

Dante is probably along the same lines. They clearly felt the need to somehow tarnish him and implicate him so he could fit in with their pets. So he lies about a lot of stuff to help protect Sonny's other kids, and now we find out he lied about something big, which makes him look like a hypocrite because he went after Sonny and Jason for lying and covering up.

Then you have his extremely dull relationship with Lulu which seems to never go anywhere.

They don't have any real idea of how to tell stories or where to take characters. This has been a problem with Guza for years and years. In 99-00 you could see the show literally grinding to a halt as stories were dropped and scenes were repeated over and over to fill the gap. Now it's even worse. They just don't know how to do anything to keep a good story going. What they've done with the Lisa story is one of the most bewildering things I've ever seen on this show. They want to drag it out to keep her around without knowing that dragging it out just takes away what most people enjoyed in the first place.

• Members

I feel like Guza wanted to SPIT on L&L2 as badly as he did L&L and he used JJ's return to do nail that coffin shut. The writing wrecked them and yes Lucky wound up diminished for it. TG/JJ's magic chemistry been sacrificed for the Ethan garbagel, too.

I think Lucky as an Interpol agent could work as makes him Robert Scorpio but alas once again Guza tosses him to prop up Jason crap.

We've never agreed more, CarlD2!

GH lost its heart and soul after Lucky's death week in 1999. Guza's never recovered that heartfelt storytelling ever again.

It's a shame because I found Guza's 1998 GH the best balance and well-written soap I ever watched in 30+ years of watching ABC soaps. Rape Revisited was brilliant from start to finish, the show had a heart. Luke was a deeply flawed man but Lucky was the best of Luke and Laura, their heart and soul. The show had three anchors, JJ, VM and SBu and it was balanced.

• Members

Just started watch GH on a regular basis and think it is rather funny how the show has nothing to do with a hospital. I've tuned in a few times over the years, been disapointed almost every time, and just don't get why the show is so popular. I like Lucky, Dante and Dominick--three good characters--but find Jason down right odd in so far as his devotion to Sonny. Also, Sonny has gone too far many times but this silly car bomb that almost killed his daughter takes the cake. Why do so many characters what to protect him? Also, seems like his daughter might be better off knowing the truth.

Any show needs a moral compass and GH seems to lack any ethical focus. Also, they show does well with make characters but there are no strong women aside from maybe Monica who you see twice a month. I often feel like the homoerotic connections between the guys feel far stronger than typical soap romances. Jason has one true love--Sonny. Luke has been dumbed down to the level of class clown.

• Members

Since we're all making our usual weekly arguments, I'm just going to point out again as I do every week that the real problem is in the management across the board. Debating whether OLTL or AMC will go first is like arguing over which trash can a raccoon will turn over first. It doesn't matter because as soon as he empties out one, he's going after the other.

• Members

I agree Marceline. (And I still have a hard time believing that AMC would go first, anyway).

And next week is anybody's game. GH ALWAYS bounces back (as sickening as it is). OLTL does not. (Although I do see some minor consistency developing)

AMC cannot seem to get out of that deficit in the 18-49. They are all toast within the next 5-6 years. GH will maybe outlast the other two by a year. Who knows. I think the sign will be the shows that ABC Daytime has in development. And what the heck happened to this Aisha Tyler thing? (whom I have always felt was a BORE, with the exception of her stint on E Television)

• Members

OLTL is not doing better. There is absolutely no evidence of that. It is staying the same at best. It stays at 1.7 or 1.8. It moves and up in the ratings, only when other shows have a bad week. It will be comfortably back at the bottom within the next week or two.

• Members

These days, staying the same with tiny gains is a good thing. People have hyped Y&R for staying the same for over one year. Seems like people are taken with the OLTL stability given the free falls surrounding it.

Also, last year this time the talk was all about whether it would be OLTL or ATWT to die first. Now, that convo has shifted over to AMC and Days with OLTL seeming safe for the time being.

Suds report made mention of The Talk being off to a better start than The View. I can't remember 13 years back but he said there was serious talk of a View cancellation. Wouldn't it be a bitch if Chen replaces Susan Lucci as Diva of Daytime? Nelson is trashy but always has good info. He continued on by saying NBCU is now shopping the 55-64 demo as every bit as good as 25-54: Too little, too late--such talk, a few years ago, might have actually saved the World and GL from budget cuts and eventual cancellations.

Archived