OLTL: Discussion for the week November 1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God, I loved today's show.

Am thoroughly enjoying "Who are Rex's parents?" and I NEVER thought I would because I am no fan of Rex or JPL but it involves a lot of my favorites so I am totally enjoying it. Loved the scenes between Viki/Charlie, Rex/Bo and Echo/Clint. I am flipping LOVING this evil Clint, finally gives JvD something to play, and it makes me love watching Clint and that's a first. Never gave Clint a second thought until Jerry took over the role.

Ford is Jessica's baby daddy and John will be Natalie's leaving Brody out. Wonder if that will make him go crazy again. If it does, he will have plenty of company at St. Ann's with Hannah and Marty.

God, can Cole just go already.

• Members

Maybe because my expectations were for an OOT, campy, hammy performance, I've been so pleasantly surprised by KZ's more restrained style, but so far so good. I do think KZ seems most energized in scenes with ES, they are obviously loving working together.

Ford is that baby's daddy unless a huge backlash forces Ron to retcon it back to Brody.

I think Marty took the hit originally intended for Brody.

• Members

I think the show has been very good lately... like that Marty is out for revenge, it makes her much more interesting to me! I hope they find a way to keep her around longer term...

For a while I was bored with Jess/Nat/Brody but I am LOVING Nat/Brody and I really hope they go there. Jessica and Ford shouldn't be together- but I think it will be interested to see them try and raise a baby, if Brody chooses Natalie's baby over Jessica's Ford baby! Those aren't spoilers, just predictions. Its the soapiest way to go- and it leaves John out, which is always good.

• Members

Asa did that to him when Maria was pregnant with his son and that pissed him off especially all the years he lost with Cord. I cant seem him knowingly doing that intentionally with another child and being so cold and callous about it. Im glad its not revealed he had an ongoing affair with Echo years later, but now they messed up with the timeline by making Rex older than the Buch girls. But then again I shouldnt be surprised bc they did this with Dani and Jack

James is too much of a whiny bitch. He comes across as a stalker and I dont get the obsession with Starr bc she isnt all that. Nate has the anger and yelling down pat and Ford is the sleazy male-slut. James is just soft and whiny

• Members

I realize we've had our differences recently, Vee, but ICAM here. To me, this would be right up (or down) there with retroactively turning Victor Lord into meglomaniacal (sp?) pervert w/ a fetish for redheads and underground cities. Don't go there, OLTL, just...don't.

• Members

Exactly. One of the things I loved and counted on from OLTL back in the day was that Clint and Viki's love was rock-solid, built on mutual trust and understanding. And even if they weren't together anymore, the bonds that originally brought them together would still be there. But now...?

Frankly, I don't care how "interesting" this sudden turn of events has made Clint, or how much JvD is "rocking" the material. AFAIC, it's another case of TPTB pissing on a cherished part of my childhood -- and if that's what OLTL has to do in order to survive, then they might as well cancel the !@#$%^&*].

• Members

Hopefully they will not have it rewritten this way. Clint Ritchie was such an underrated part of OLTL's success in the 80s, and I think he also helped the Viki character a great deal, especially in the rocky period after Joe's death (I've never believed she was better off without him -- while I don't think Clint/Viki should be together again I think she was never really the same after they started stripping all of her layers away in the Sloan era). If Clint's present and future is of being an Asa clone, then OK, but the past doesn't have to be changed, especially not for detritus like Rex. I hope the show is not just going to say all of that was a lie, especially since for all we know, the next sweeps period could have Clint holding Gigi at gunpoint and burying Rex and Kelly in oatmeal, like what Passanante did at ATWT...

• Members

No, they didn't, but if they're suggesting that Clint cheated on Viki throughout their marriage, after all the times they both risked life and limb to save each other from various perils and disasters, then it's clear which fans they're writing for now, and which ones they're not.

• Members

True, but there's a fine line between rewriting history and rewriting history that contradicts everything an audience knows and believes about a character. This [!@#$%^&*] w/ Clint, Echo and Rex is an example of the latter, IMO.

• Members

Actually, I believe Agnes Nixon herself approved Malone revealing Victor Lord sexually abused Viki. Nixon was well aware almost all DID is caused by sexual abuse but couldn't go there in 70s. I watched OLTL in the 70s and recall Joe Riley calling out Victor Lord for his "unhealthy obsesion" with Victoria more than a few times. It wasn't just a father hating any man Victoria dated. He was insanely jealous of Joe and wanted his own stand-in Steve Burke to marry her. The subtext was always there I felt.

Eterna now THAT was a campy joke as was Malone2 resurrecting Victor in 2003. God awful crap.

• Members

Unless I missed something, I don't see a rewrite yet insisting Echo/Clint's affair was all that long. At least Clint isn't chasing Echo and claiming she was a great love like Luke did with the Ethan/Holly rewrite. Worse, they brought on Laura to admit she knew Luke cheated on her with hookers GAG.

Archived