OLTL: Discussion for the week November 1

• Members

Honestly that swap is one of the big reasons I never got all the big hoopla over Danielle SORASing. Many of those same fans just accepted and cheered on the rewriting of a character's RACE. Age is nothing on soaps but I don't know of a single other soap that has ever turned an Asian women into a blonde southern white hick.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think when KDP proved herself (although I know many will say she never has) people accepted her. If Kellie Missal did that and if the writing was better, the aging wouldn't bother me as much. But she is mostly just there to shriek and to be another Todd groupie. There are a lot of other ways they could have cemented the relationship between Todd and Tea.

• Members

The age problems don't bother me -- I'm not a longtime viewer and wasn't around for any of these character's births. Plus, I've never got hung up on these things, even on the soaps I did watch for years and years. I understand why it bothers others, though. It would annoy me if Clint had a years-long affair with Echo, but I don't think that's been established (and I don't think it will). However, with what I know of Clint Buchanan, I can't buy that he would just ignore the fact he had a son, illegitimate or otherwise. Maybe while he was married to Viki, to keep the peace, but once they were divorced, I think he'd swoop in and take Rex in a heartbeat. I hope the show gives us a valid explanation for this, or at least addresses it.

• Members

Its funny how both of Clint's kids ended up getting raised by Roxy. I wonder if he knew if Rex was his when he first stepped foot in town. I wonder why he would accept Natalie but reject Rex. He wasnt with Viki by this point so its not like sparing her feelings mattered. I cant beleive he wouldnt embrace Shane. Speaking of which, that boy nearly died when he had cancer and we are to beleive Clint watched as that child suffered, knowing that he could have done something to help him by getting himself and the rest of his family tested? That is pretty descpicable of him

• Members

I think SORASing Jack would have been overkill. Todd with 3 teen kids? They had Starr at 17, Jack would have been 16 and Dani at 15. I really dont think Dani needed to be a teen. They could have still done the story but kept her young, maybe 7-8. I dont think Todd needed another teen daughter since we just got through with him and those stories with Starr. Dani seemed redundant when she was introduced

• Members

I think CLP is a trip, I wouldn't want him SORASed.

I remember a rumor that went around at the time that Markko's kid sibling or something would turn out to be Todd and Tea's child by adoption. While I think KM is talented I might have preferred that, it would've given Jason Tam an actual story and the waste of that hot piece of talent was criminal.

I've always advocated more Asians on the show as well. There's a horrible dearth of Asian-American representation on daytime. I think the original Blair could've gone far, but at the same time Mia Korf was apparently cast because she was the best actress who originally auditioned for the role - despite the fact that Malone had always envisioned the character as a Southern blonde. When he had a chance to recast he somehow had enough clout to change her race back to his original intent. I don't know if I would've done it in his position, but KDP has had staying power and I think she's more than owned the role, which I can't imagine anyone else in. Still, not enough Asians.

• Members

I believe Mia was hired as part of Linda Gottlieb's casting project, finding interesting, charismatic actors and creating characters for them rather than the traditional other way around (Mark Brettschneider and Susan Batten were others). Plus, they needed Blair to speak Japanese for Jaba City. If KDP's Blair made a long-distance call to Tokyo one day and busted out in Japanese I would [!@#$%^&*] a purple turd.

I agree, more asians in daytime! Imagine if Mia had stayed in the role and it was Jason Tam playing Jack for instance (SORASing aside).

• Members

SFK, the scenario you envision is one I have dreamed up as well.

After all, it's established continuity that Cord and Andrew needed Blair's knowledge of Japanese. ;) It is the dream of my life to see KDP bust out with 100% fluency.

I admire Gottlieb's choices but as of today, in hindsight, would I give up KDP? Not at all. There are other opportunities to bring in Asians.

• Members

Actually KDP's first year was voted worst recast. It took RH's immense popularity to get fans to accept Blair but they did.

Despite some vocal detractors, Kelley Missal's received quite a bit of critical acclaim from the press and she's one of the best new finds in daytime.

• Members

Danielle's conception scene was filmed deliberately onscreen to set up Tea returning at some point with Todd's kid in tow. There was casting calls out for a 8 year old girl but then Frons nixed that as he wanted another TEEN. So RC's timeline and writing didn't make sense.

Again, I find siblings SORASed past each other pretty ho hum compared to changing a character's race like that.

Carmen's been filming two movie roles so he's not exactly been all that available.

Archived