The Dark Knight Rises

Sylph

• Members

I didn't like the film for me there were multiple problems. I hated that they spent 2 hours making Bane this big villain only to completely take away all of his agency at the last minute by saying it was actually someone else behind the scenes pulling all the strings. Although it did justify the fact that I never believed Bane in general could be that smart and he was always seen as this lunk head muscle man in all the adaptions I have seen. But the twist at the end was a complete cop out to me. Most of the people in power during the beginning of the film were so incompetent they damn near bordered on becoming imbeciles, there was no reason for things to happen as they did and it annoyed me how everyone just played into Bane's plans.

Batman not being Batman anymore was also kind of hard to believe. We've been lead to believe threw out the entire film franchise that Bruce loves Gotham more then anything else in the world and he does everything he can in this film to save his city and then he leaves? What's worse is that the overall theme of this was already attempted in one of the scenes with the Joker in The Dark Knight. It's that same premise just upped to eleven with Rises. The only things about the film that were worthwhile were Gordon, Alfred and John Blake.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If Bruce kept on being Batman, it would've destroyed him. Bruce wasn't getting any younger and he was already beaten and bruised, physically and psychologically. He stayed away for eight years after what happened in the last the film. And he just didn't abandon Gotham City, he pased the torch to John Blake. Also, the legacy of Batman will live on to inspire others. He felt it was the right time to move on. Bruce's life has been full of darkness, so him finally having a happy ending (with the last image being: outside, in the light, with a woman, and smiling) was a fantastic conclusion.

• Members

Bruce leaving and dropping the mantle of Batman was the entire purpose of the film. It was the entire theme behind his interactions with Alfred throughout the story and for him to stay, wouldnt have meant much sense since they seemed to be building up to him leaving it behind. The fact is Gotham did not need Batman. There was 8 years worth of relative peace. What Bruce did is leave behind a legacy so that if and when the time for Batman is needed again, that someone would be there to pick up the pieces and continue on. It was fitting

• Members

Great response. I liked the recognition that in this Batman franchise, Bruce is not immortal or invincible. He is a man who is aging and physically wearing down from his crime fighting. It was either he leave and pass on the mantle to someone else or die in the darkness. Bruce could leave because he knew that John would take his place. Bruce told him that the mask is to protect the ones he loves, and left him the coordinates to his crime fighting gear in the Batcave. Like Alfred, I loved seeing Bruce in that Parisian cafe, laughing, happy, and in love. In my fanwank, he had a couple kids and lived to be an old man.

• Members

I guess different strokes for different folks. I loved Burton/Pfeiffer's Catwoman. I think that will always be my favorite interpretation of the character. The backstory, the plot they write for her, Pfeiffer's PERFECT portrayal...I can watch it over and over.

• Members

Agreed, the most sophisticated and complex Selina/Catwoman (for mass public consumption, that is) comes from the original 90's animated series, and she liked cats and was around them all the time. Yet she wasn't one-dimensional or stupidly drawn to make everyone accept or like her.

Anne was good at snark and one-liners, but she tanked when it came to sexual heat and innate sophistication, and again, no chemistry at all with Bale.

• Members

Almost no one can come out looking good next to Julie Newmar in her Catwoman suit. Her body is out of style today and no woman has those type of curves. Plus, she was exceptionally tall with killer legs. There just is no modern actress today that looks like her or probably even wants to. I would say the perfect Catwoman is Newmar's body, Kitt's voice, and the characterization of Hathaway's. No one could purr and roll their Rs like Eartha Kitt.

Archived