The Dark Knight Rises

Sylph

• Members

I kind of question having Selina and Talia appear in the same movie, though they have interacted in the comics.

They're both anti-heroines (not flat out villains), but for this movie to work, they had to make Talia an evil mastermind, because they couldn't do that with Selina/Catwoman being the more popular character and Bruce's true equal/confidant.

Even though I saw little chemistry between Hathaway and Bale, the ending made sense for Selina (Catwoman)/Bruce (Batman) fans. Selina is the only woman/person (other than Alfred) Bruce has ever been able to open out to and emotionally engage with on a higher level. I just wish the chemistry was there and the movie handled their relationship a bit better.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TDKR is supposed to be the end of the trilogy, but you think we might get a spinoff? The ending heavily seemed to imply that and I can see Robin taking on the Batman mantle or even becoming Nightwing to clean up Gotham

• Members

I am going to see it this week and can't wait!

As a huge Batman-Universe fan, I have to ask the other fans: how did you feel about the character of John? Would the movie have been better if he were replaced by say...Dick Grayson? That's the only thing that I've found odd about what I've read so far is his character's involvement in the Batverse.

• Members

One thing I hate, they NEVER refer to Ann Hathway's character as Catwoman! She doesnt have any fascination with cats and I dont think a single cat appears. Theres a passing reference to her being a cat burgler but thats it. As a Catwoman fan, that upset me bc I really wanted to see her fully embraced as Catwoman onscreen but instead she simply is Selina Kyle with high tech googles

Do you want me to spoil this for you? If so, read what I put in tags

• Members

It depends on your preferred interpretation of Catwoman/Selina Kyle, I guess. I think they just wanted to play up her role as a cat burglar and petty criminal more than the animalistic temptress.

In some comic interpretations, she had little to no fascination with cats/animals, and in other interpretations, she's an animal rights activist. In some interpretations she's a legitimate wealthy socialite, in others, she's poseur.

She has a very diverse backstroy that isn't consistent over time at all. I guess Nolan just went with elements of the ones he liked best.

I always loved this compilation video of Selina/Bruce from the Animated Series

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6zvGgmH2OM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

I love that! Batman: The Animated Series was amazingly well done. It still holds today as honestly my favorite interpretation of that universe.

The information about John is very interesting. I feel a lot better about it now!

And it kind of bothers me that they don't name her Catwoman in the film, but I will reserve judgment. Catwoman, to me, is one of the most fascinating fictional characters ever. I absolutely love her romance or anti-romance with Batman. Absolutely perfect and endless story possibilities!

• Members

Maybe but come on though, she should have been called or referred to as Catwoman at least once in the film. That bothered me more than anything

I thought it was done alot better in the Burton film than here. I didnt feel a sense of growth and progression in terms of where the characters are when they meet at the start of the film to the end. Situations change but I never got a sense that they were falling for each other and theres a lack of chemistry there. Actually there's more when he's Bat and she's in Cat gear, but as Bruce and Selina, sadly I didnt think they sparked as they should have

Defiently. I really wish they had given her more bc she's heavily featured at the start and then disappears midway through only to pop back up towards the end. She's one of the better things about this film. Her acting is pretty good here, especially when comparing her to Miranda. BTW, was it just me or did anyone else think Miranda looked like Marissa Ramirez from GH/Y&R? I had to google to make sure it wasnt her

• Members

Don't get me wrong, Nolan did a great job with Batman, but the original 90's Animated Series is by far the best and most true interpretation, IMO.

It was the gold standard for comic cartoon interpretations, and adults enjoyed it as much as kids.

She's the only person both Bruce and Batman has been able to let his guard down with, she's his most complicated dynamic. They know one another's true identities and personalities both with and without the mask.

Without Selina/Catwoman's existence, Batman/Bruce would be a less interesting character, IMO.

Too bad, IMO, that Bale and Hathaway has absolutely no chemistry in this movie.

• Members

In the very beginning when we saw newspaper accounts of her she was referred to as The Cat. That is also what she was known as in her first appearance back in Batman #1. I forget, was Jonathan Crane ever called "The Scarecrow" in Batman Begins? Did anyone ever actually call Harvey Dent "Two-Face" in the second film? There is a charm to the 60s series where villains would pop up saying "Hi, I'm The Mad Hatter!" but this works too and more realistically.

Anyway, I love Batman and Catwoman. They are pop culture's supercouple and always will be. One thing that shows how great these characters are is that no matter what the treatment be it comedy or drama, the relationship always works.

vigvnn.jpg

Anne Hathway was great, and about the only criticism I can say is perhaps she was not pretty enough for the part. Catwoman is supposed to be as beautiful as Bruce is handsome. Bale looks like Bruce Wayne come to life, but Hathaway not so much.

• Members

I cant remember on Two Face, but most definetly on Scarecrow.. She should have been referred to as Catwoman at least once

IDA on Ann's beauty. I never found her to be much of a looker but she looked absolutely gorgeos in this film; the best she's ever looked. She was extremely beautiful.

• Administrator

I'm glad that didn't happen in the Nolanverse like it did in the Burtonverse where Catwoman being all cat-like and The Penguin being all peguin-like (eating raw fish!). Burton went for more cartoonish/campy/freaky and Nolan went for crime drama. We didn't need to see the same interpretation again.

I really liked this article and totally agreed with it: 'The Dark Knight Rises': Why Anne Hathaway's Catwoman Is the Best One Yet

Archived