The Dark Knight Rises

Sylph

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

I just came back from The Dark Knight Rises on IMAX. Great movie! There was some plot holes, but overall it was thrilling and a fitting conclusion to the Batman trilogy. Bane was scary as hell. Nolan is one of the best action directors and he did a great job with Batman's angst with Christian Bale's talent leading the way. He was outstanding as usual. He is such an amazingly talented actor. He has got to get his act together so he can work more. I have never liked Anna Hathaway and don't like her in the role of Catwoman. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did well, but he is no Christian Bale talent-wise. Michael Cain was wonderful.

• Members

Great movie. I have never seen Anne Hathaway in anything so had no preconceptions. She killed as Catwoman. She is not the beauty Julie Newmar was, but when she puts on the cat suit she is reminiscent of Newmar. Everybody in the movie was perfect in their role and the ending was the best ending for a superhero movie I have seen.

• Administrator

Loved the film!!! But I have to rank it behind of The Dark Knight and ahead of Batman Begins.

Obviously going to be talking spoilers.........

Loved Anne Hathaway at Selina Kyle/Catwoman!! She is by far my favorite incarnation of the character. The moment was sold it for me was when she does this arm gesture/body movement in the scene where she steals the pearls/fingerprints. After that scene I just knew Anne was going to be great in the movie. I thought she looked fantastic in her costume, which was a lot better than Michelle Pfefifer's in Batman Returns. I liked Catwoman’s motivation and goal –that she wanted a clean slate. Another favorite scene of her’s is when she’s watching Bane beating the hell of Batman, and you see that realizes that she might have done the wrong thing and feels guilty about it – she showed this again when John Blake asks her if Batman’s dead and she says she doesn’t know. Major kudos to Nolan for once again thinking outside the box and not going for the obvious choice to play Catwoman. He did it with Heath Ledger and he did it again with Anne Hathaway.

Bane was a fun character to watch too. The opening action sequence with the two planes was really awesome. His speech during the prison breakout was great. I knew that in the comics Bane broke Batman's back but I didn't think Nolan would have that happen in this film so I was pleasantly surprised that Nolan included that. My only complaint about Bane was that it was hard to understand him at times. The voice could've been better/clearer.

I liked the revelation that Miranda Tate was Talia al Ghul. When Batman thought Bane was the son of Ra’s al Ghul, I thought that was a bit weird since I never heard Bane was his son and because I knew Ra had a daughter named Talia. Even though the clues were there, I didn’t suspect that Miranda was Talia until close the to end.

I really think Michael Caine is going to be get an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He deserves for the scene where Alfred tells Bruce that Rachel chose Harvey, and how he wished Bruce would live a happy life.

Loved the cameo appearance by Cillian Murphy’s Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow as the judge. Now he’s in all three parts too.

Joseph Gordo-Levitt was a great addition to the cast as police officer John Blake. Throughout the film, you can see his character progress into something greater – Commissioner Gordon and Batman both saw that in him. The more I see of Joseph Gordo-Levitt, the more I’m becoming a huge fan of this. So of course I loved the ending, which could foreshadow something big for JGL – being the next Batman?

• Members

I had to strain to figure out what Bane was saying most of the time. I estimate that he was unintelligible about 50 percent of the movie. I also found his accent odd considering that he grew up somewhere in Asia.

I was glad that Nolan gave Bruce a happy ending although I can't imagine his relationship with Selina lasting. Bruce deserves some peace. Hopefully, he leaves Gotham behind for good. Let Robin deal with the bad guys and all their drama from now on.

• Members

I didn't like the news of Hathaway being cast, and I still didn't like her after seeing her in the movie.

I just thought that spark that Bruce/Selina should have had wasn't there, and actually, Bruce/Miranda (Talia) had no spark at all either.

And I didn't really like the hatchet job done to Talia's character, who despite always rationalized her father's actions, was never an all out villain who would deliberately try to kill millions of people in the comics. Hell, after Selina, in comic cannon, she's probably Bruce's great love (she was nothing to in this movie). But I guess artistic license gives them room to deviate.

Though, depending on what your preferred incarnation of Selina/Catwoman is, they absolutely got her characterization right. I just wish Bale and Hathaway had the chemistry to back up Bruce and Selina's complex relationship.

I did like Bane though, but agreed, his wad totally inaudible after a while.

The real star of this film was Jason Gordon-Levitt, who stole every scene he was in. I guess he should have though, since this film was John/Robin's set-up.

• Members

In retrospect, I think Nolan made a mistake killing off Ra's al Ghul. I think that The Dark Knight Rises would have been stronger with Liam Neelson as Ra's al Ghul returning with Bane to wreck havoc on Gotham. We could have then gotten Talia torn between her loyalty to her father/Bane and her love for Bruce. I think that scenes with Laim Neelson, Christian Bale, and Marion Cotillard would have been great and strengthen the movie.

In any case, I thought the movie was outstanding and if this is, indeed, Christian Bale's last stint as Bruce Wayne/Batman, the trilogy ended on a high note. Too often these superhero/action movie sequels fall apart. Kudos to Nolan for his creativity and ability to refresh the Batman franchise. I love that he clearly understands Bruce Wayne's angst and troubled psyche and that this is woven throughout the three movies, carried by Bale's brilliant performances.

Archived