As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks for sharing @DRW50 was glad to see the December 10 1993 pop, I love that era on the show especially with Connor being established as one of Oakdale’s more sophisticated leading ladies. Glynnis was awful as Margo in that ep.

Speaking of awful, I remember some of those terribly cheesy early 90s commercials, specifically those Tide ones with the dramatic music and moments LOL. 

I’d this sums it up well Carl! I liked her as Jessica but her storylines past 1996 with neo Nazis and Kim’s car being blown to smithereens in a car bomb were non-existent. She was pretty much the town lawyer for everyone until Tunie came back and they started writing for Jessica again. 

You nailed it! That sorry tale was so disregarding to Margo and Jessica; they couldn’t have had single women have the hots for him? It was huge low for Jessica, especially since she was still reeling from Marshall’s “no means yes” rape in 2002. Unfortunately Oakdale turned lily white after that. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I actually didn't... so thank you very much for clueing me in! I just can't believe how many of these connections we continue to be able to make, absolutely love it.

Kayden wrote "one of the very few ATWT episodes that I have". Would you happen to know if there are any others around? Since the video's unlisted, the channel shows no videos for me. 

--

I would also like to ask for help on something in this thread. There is a video on both Oakdalian ("Christmas 1989") and AsTheWorldStillTurns' ("ATWT 12 25 89") channels. That particular version of the episode comes from a re-airing in the late 90s (as can be seen in the doctored end credits). My assumption is that Oakdalian uploaded it first, as Christmas 1989, and AsTheWorldStillTurns assumed that it must be the December 25 episode. 

However, in the Full Episode List thread, I have now gathered four different leads that all state that the December 25, 1989 episode was pre-empted. Presumably, then, the episode in fact aired one airdate earlier or later. Normally, I would guess earlier (that's what they usually seem to do with holiday episodes), but since December 25, 1989 was a Monday, the next airdate was actually closer. 

Long story short: the episode aired on EITHER Friday December 22, 1989 OR Tuesday December 26, 1989. I'm curious to see if anyone can help dating it properly.

• Members

Fri December 22 1989! I saw the original end credits on the old WOST site with Dan Region giving a lengthy narration at the end. Weird they used the 1993-99 end credits style but used the same Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas jazzy instrumental as used in the original closing when they reaired this. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

It's funny that Liz does not seem to think very fondly of Marland's writing. When she was asked what she thought of Marland's writing for Lucinda, she said he didn't enjoy writing for her and he preferred writing "young love." 

She said she had to fight very hard for Lucinda. Very strage to hear all this as Lucinda has always been one of my favorites from Marland's era.  

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I think Liz had a very specific idea of Lucinda and didn't necessarily mesh well with others about their own ideas. I wonder if she had issues with how much Marland could use Lucinda as a plot mover (I think she worked pretty well in that role), or that Lucinda had to be humanized and punished. I think she may have also said in the past she was unhappy about the Lucinda/John relationship ending. I'm trying to remember her old quotes about the Lucinda therapy story he did (which led to the arrival of Royce and Neal) - I think she may have wanted the story but didn't really like the execution. She complained about scenes with her mother having liquor bottles laying around, as she thought it was cliched. 

• Members

It seems to me like she enjoyed the pre-Marland writing for Lucinda more. I guess I can see a more free spirit like her not adjusting well to Marland's sometimes heavily rigid approach to characters. 

And I love her to bits, but I know damn well she was never easy for producers, writers, directors, and actors to work with, lol. Lucinda wouldn't have been Lucinda without Liz, but I know she probably didn't make that many friends in the process. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Lucinda of 1984-85 does seem like a ton of fun, but also not a sustainable character. I suppose she doesn't see it that way. 

The battles with FMB brought the Liz vs PTB conflict out into the open whereas before it probably just simmered in the background of each regime. I'm still surprised at times that she stayed to the end with Goutman, that he didn't try to push her out. Lucinda was one of the only reasons I watched the last year so I'm glad that never happened.