As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Very true and that's all that matters in a soap, not social "relevance" (shut up Agnes...) or shocking twists, its what keeps you coming back each day.

Kind of off topic but really not since prime time shows have taken over for the soaps, but I watch Walking Dead like I watched the soaps, I bitch about it but I keep tuning in to see what happens next. This year its got a new show runner and it better then it has been in years and on Sunday they had their most soap like episode ever....the psycho villain disguises herself and attends the community fair, where she eavesdrops on the characters to find out where to strike and what their stories are..no one is of course the wiser and well, it doesnt end well. During the episode there were reunions and speeches about community and heroism and coming together despite the bad and I said to my partner..."Its like zombies invaded Oakdale or Springfield." Of course, he looks at me like Im nuts...

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Coming to the realization that next week will be another anniversary where the only acknowledgement of this show will be from a few bloggers and some fans.  

It's unlikely that there will be so much as a peep from P&G acknowledging all those decades of talent, hard work and drive in service of this dramatic series.  No nods to the decades of fan support. 

No magnanimous gesture as a way of saying thanks or celebrating an entertaining and sometimes great show.  

Thinking about it makes me a bit sad.

• Members

With all the reboots happening every five minutes, it draws into sharp relief, the absence of a soap like As The World Turns

On for decades, from Golden Age to Golden Age, yet M.I.A. during the current Golden Age of television, part of history (how often do we see the clip of Walter Cronkite interrupting the "regularly scheduled program" to announce the JFK assassination?). 

I'm not even expecting a reboot or anything but it's just the bane of my existence that P&G has left those archives to languish somewhere and no one with any agency seems to care. 

Are we to believe that it's all music rights that are the big impediment?  Does every single episode from 1979 to 199- whenever digitization began have a piece of popular music embedded in the episode??  Once a year, P&G couldn't throw the fans and the living cast and crew a bone by putting out a handful of good quality episodes from the original source?  (I find it hard to believe when there is an entity, as we speak, digitizing and preserving old episodes of Soul Train for the web). 

It's just a shame how little value these soaps have, and it's not just the cancelled ones either.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

If only I could stream ATWT, GL, and AW. I love that I can watch what is available on YouTube, but that is very limiting.

for God’s sake, The Wonder Years was released with substitute music. I have to think it was much more damaging to the integrity of that show than it would be to release our soaps with substitute music. 

Why not just charge money and release the shows in their original condition? You wouldn’t make much money, but you also wouldn’t make zero. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Was Lucinda Walsh the only character who would tell someone "Good morning" before she slapped them?

NGL but I watched this slap about 3, 4 times.  I've remember the times I've seen both Sierra and Lily slap people but had no memories of when Lucinda did it, but I should have because clearly, this was memorable.

• Members

The twitter accounts dedicated to the show have good intentions but I wish that there were an "official As The World Turns account", there are a number of ATWT alumni on social media.  Wouldn't it be nice if they got a tweet from an ATWT social media account, thanking them for their service to the show?  Even a group tag would be thoughtful.

I miss the show too, by the way, and wished there were an actual commemoration, even an online one.  Could you imagine a livestream where fans could gather and watch around their computers or streaming boxes and either watch the same classic episode at the time that the show aired in their area or watch the episode later on?  The We Love Soaps blog used to put out classic episodes sometimes.  I miss the days when the soap blogs had an active interest in the classic soaps, other than putting out the same clips and trivia.