As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah, when I think back, I think, with the exceptions of those two storylines, I didn't feel much about Margo during her run and it wasn't just the awful writing. 

Perhaps because TPTB knew that they had a recast and the two previous actresses had been so popular, the writing had become self-conscious, at times, too concerned with making the audience like the new Margo. 

Whereas with HBS, in particular, I felt like her Margo could genuinely make me laugh at something that might not have even been written that way in the script...she could also make me mad enough to want to shake the living daylights out of her but she never made me feel indifferent toward her.    And with Margaret Colin's Margo, well, she was the one who had an affair with another woman's (Barbara) husband, so obviously the writers weren't too concerned about whether the viewers would end up hating Margo and one of Colin's strengths was that she could really make Margo endearing, even after all that messiness. 

Even though MC and HBS had slightly different approaches to their portrayals, HBS kept that off-beat witticism that MC had started.  When MC would cackle, it made you cackle.  When HBS had that rapid fire giggle, you'd giggle.  And yes, both also benefited from good writing.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pat  says that when Dan was first aged she was replaced with an older actress.  However she was brought back to the role and then later let go in 1975 again.   Of course we know she returned until about 1995 .  Who was this  older actress who briefly replaced her?

• Members

Bruder specifically said that the show replaced her with another actress, but they were not satisfied with her, so they asked Bruder to return.

The only two actresses I ever remember seeing as Ellen were Wendy Drew and then Patricia Bruder, so if the story about Bruder's replacement is true, that actress must have come and gone in the blink of an eye. 

Bruder says the replacement actress appeared as Ellen while Bruder did The Sap of Life in an off-Broadway production, which would have been 1961.

There is no confirmation that I can find (in any of my soap history books or on the internet) which verifies the existence of a third Ellen. Still, you would think Bruder would know.