As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

This episode contains Rosa's arrival in Oakdale.

You're welcome. 

One of my favorite things about Rosa, (besides how she and John traded barbs back and forth) was the fact that she'd always needle Meg Snyder and call her a cheap tramp in Spanish and Meg never even knew what she was saying!  

Please register in order to view this content

There was one scene where Meg was having one of her fantasies about being with Dusty and Rosa shows up as their maid and even in the fantasy, she's calling Meg a cheap tramp in Spanish.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

If you watch the first 7 minutes of the YT video I embedded, you'll find a hilarious sequence between John, Dusty and Rosa and then at minute 22:45, Meg faces the horror that Rosa is now living in Oakdale.  It's the first time that Rosa calls Meg a low-rent tramp in Spanish.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

@DramatistDreamer  thanks for the videos. I added a "Hopper" profile (page 75).

I have a question about a recurring 1989 Montegan character. Her name is Juanita Perrerra and she was involved with Tonio Reyes. Does anyone know the actress's name? I have watched hundreds of 1980's credit crawls, but have never seen the character in a credit crawl. 

Thanks to anyone that may know.

• Members

Unfortunately, I don't remember. 

From what I've seen on YouTube, Rosa was still appearing in 1989 (and possibly 1990) when Bianca was living with Lucinda but there are so many episodes missing from YouTube that it often becomes inevitable that any character that is not a central character can fall through the cracks. 

• Members

Okay, this may be one of the first appearances by Rosa and she starts calling Meg a cheap tramp in Spanish from her earliest appearances on the show.

@amybrickwallaceAt around minute 37:26 is Meg's fantasy, where even then, she's still being called a cheap tramp in Spanish by Rosa!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

In Bob's defense, adult Chris was a maroon and written like an idiot who couldn't keep it in his pants. 

I do think Bob was clearly the tougher parent with Chris, but there were times Chris was irresponsible. And Kim did coddle him. 

• Members

Currently watching 1990 on YouTube.

marland certainly has some annoying ticks as a writer. But I can’t fault him. This show is so damn watchable. What jumps out is that Oakdale is a terrific place, and I want to live there, and the Hughes family is front and center.

pros:

Ming-Na is very likable as Lien in spite of the writing.

courtney is a unique and interesting character.

doug marland uses the Greek chorus technique to great effect.

Oakdale is a town ruled by gossip. From day to day, who knows what and who was told by whom is the main plot. This is awesome and something that soaps have lost. The dishiness of Oakdale is highly addictive.

characters have jobs that we see them doing.

characters have values and morals. 

Scott DeFreitas is terrific as Andy and Andrew Kavovit is terrific as Paul. They are not the mold of soap hunks, unfortunately, so they would not last. 

cons:

Heather Rattray. Not her fault, but she is just not Lily. The character should have been written out when Martha Byrne left.

People treating Lien as if she is special needs. She is not special needs. She is Vietnamese. 

Kim keeps saying she doesn’t want to talk about Susan and doesn’t want to see Bob, but sees Bob every other scene and mentions Susan every other sentence.

The Duncan/Shannon disappearing dead body storyline makes no sense and I don’t care, but Michael Swan was shirtless for half an episode which was lovely. 

It it is a juicy and terrific show in 1990 and I am enjoying it.