Gilby suite

Meredith's Room

WRITERS

Winifred Wolfe

Warren Swanson

Ep#3947

Taped Wed June 30 1971*

Aired Thurs July 1 1971*

For unknown reasons this episode was taped Wed evening b/w 6.45-7.30 pm and aired the next day.

CAST

Chris

Judge Lowell

Simon

Lisa

Pete

Tom

SETS

Chris' Office

Lawyers Club

Simon's suite

Restaurant Dining Room

Ep #4007

Airing Thurs Sept 23 1971

CAST

Bob

Nancy

Tom

Chris

Bob

Simon

Meredith

Susan

Dr Foley (Chief technician)

David

Dan

Dr ?

SETS

Waiting Area - Hospital

Chris' room

Pathology Lab

Living quarters-bookstore

Phone Booth Hospital corridor

Writers

Warren Swanson

David Lesan

John Boruff

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

In 1984, Lily seemed more reserved/sad.. than spoiled princess.  I recall the scene between Lucinda/Lily where Lily admitted feeling guilt over the suicide of her father and blaming herself for it.  I often thought having Lily being adopted was unnecessary.. because just the suicide alone was enough of a barrier angst for Lucinda/Lily without the whole adoption angle.  I know the original actress playing Lily left in the spring of 1985.. did the writers decide to make Lily more of a spoiled princess when she was playing the role.. or after Martha Byrne took over?

Also, I thought Noelle Beck and Heather Rattray played closer to the original version of Lily circa 1984 to 1985 than Martha Bryne did.

• Members

In the Old Y&R thread, being treated to some vintage episodes from the 1970s and appreciating how magnanimous many Y&R fans are, dipping into their collections and trading and sharing videos.  Also wondering why ATWT doesn't have that same tradition.

The Y&R videos are in such good picture quality, better than many of the ATWT ones from the 1980s and even early '90s!

I truly don't understand what would be the harm in sharing, if you have vintage videos?  I feel like, with Y&R, every year a crop of vintage episodes pop up somewhere online while with ATWT, I'm seeing many of the same videos uploaded and reuploaded from the past ten years on YouTube.  

Today I feel like I needed some entertainment "comfort food" so I am watching an episode leading up to ATWT's 30th Anniversary where several characters from the past visit Oakdale for Chris and Nancy Hughes' wedding anniversary celebration and seeing Dee Hughes converse with Tom Hughes, I felt that instead of Emily, it would've been much more interesting to me had Dee and Tom had a dalliance.  The added effect it would've had on John (if he were still around) could have provided a lot of drama. 

I realize that part of the reason I just didn't care about Daniel was because I just didn't care about Emily and Tom's affair, the two actors who were playing Tom (SH) and Emily (KMH) lacked chemistry and for that reason, I wished the writers had never done the story.

Seeing Greg Marx and Jacqueline Schultz, uh Vicky Dawson, interact made me see that, in the right hands, it could've been more plausible, compelling even.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
Dee Switch= Dee-Lightful

• Members

That's the last time I consult Soapcentral, they have Jacqueline Schultz listed as being on being on in April of 1986, which is what when that episode takes place.

I thought it was Dawson but (sigh) let myself be convinced that my first instinct was wrong by Soapcentral, that has the dates and actresses all mixed up.

• Members

I was always annoyed that Marland didn't bring back Dee. She had only one marriage to John and her return could have provided a lot of story. Would she want revenge on John or would they rekindle their romance? Would John be jealous of a new boyfriend and so on...

Ellen would have had more to do  etc

Dee was just forgotten along with Frannie later on, Seth, the Ward quads etc

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

At least Marland created storyline possibilities, even if it included some and left some legacy characters off the canvas.

The writers who came after him could've done with bringing back Dee Stewart because the mid-late 90s and beyond was clearly starved for more expansive storytelling. 

Even as Marland was (rightly) criticized for focusing too much on Lily, I thought it was even worse with the writing regimes after him because most of the stories (with one or two exceptions) were not really compelling. 

The mid-late 90s, early '00s would've been a good time to bring back Dee and the quads when you had Alison on the canvas.  It would've been greatly appreciated since the show had become so dull by the late 90s.

Also, after Marland died, no Penny right?  Did Don Hughes ever visit Oakdale?

• Members

I think Rosemary Prinz did put in at least one appearance post-Marland.  I can't recall the specifics -- something to do w/ a boat that sunk? -- but I do recall her watching all the drama surrounding Molly, David Stenbeck and others unfold and remarking, "Who ARE these people?".