Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is what I've been saying for years now!  Sheffer gets credit for simply pulling the show out of its slumber.  It was in the doldrums, tbh but his version of ATWT was vastly different from anything resembling the show's classic years.

It really did and because Sheffer had added a consistently absurdist element to so many aspects of the storytelling, everyone that came after him seemed to double down on that element.

Maybe because Lindsay hasn't really been an actress in awhile that the information, nobody bothered to update the information but it is still up there--her IMDB page and Wikipedia page still lists Rick Giolito as her husband.

• Members

It's a battle of the P&G actresses! We've got Colleen* promoting department store goods and at 30:51, Marcia McCabe** hawking jewelry. Come for the soap actresses, stay for the array of promos and commercials for 1983's, uh, eclectic batch of Christmas releases. I guess the ads for Yentl and Terms of Endearment were airing during Knots Landing's breaks.

*I'm 90 percent sure it's her.

**This one I'm less sure of.

• Members

+ 1,000,000

ALL OF THIS!!

The wheels came off this INCREDIBLE drama when Marland died, and they never were placed back on.  I know many didn't like the Royce Keller story, but I loved it.  That was the last story I enjoyed on this show.  Yes, it is post Marland,  but it still felt like an ATWT story.  

Past that the show lost it's character chasing stunts.  It was a sad sight to behold, because this was a jewel of a show.  

I loved Days, and accepted the camp because it was a standard feature of that show by this time.  ATWT had maintained it's integrity (Well, besides the head shrinking) and had remained a show devoted to character dissection.  I loved it for that reason.  Watching it wander so far from that path was an excruciating experience. 

• Members

From what I read Terry Lester (Royce Keller) was a friend of Doug Marland and after Marland died, things went awry.  I guess somehow Lester didn't fit into the newly evolving show structure without Marland.

AW had offers to keep it going but P&G didn't want to sell or make any type of agreement that would save the show.  Looking back, it's obvious they gradually aimed to divest themselves completely of their entertainment properties and they didn't want to turn over their properties to any other entity.  ATWT also had an offer from CBS to save it and P&G refused.

P&G gave a limited amount of time to the SoapClassics people to convert some classic episodes from their titles to digital (like, what eight weeks or so, if that?) before they snatched it back.  Not even a year.  Not even a season.  A big part of the problem of what happened to these soaps rests with P&G and the dysfunctional ways in which they operate.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Same.  For one thing, look at some of the players involved: Elizabeth Hubbard, Terry Lester, Mary Kay Adams, Joseph Breen, Richard Bekins.  It was practically a long-time soap fan's wet dream, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Ineptitude. 

After Marland died, ATWT was left with a series of hacks, to put it mildly.  So much so, that by the time the show got to Hogan Sheffer, it was in dire straits. 

People praise Sheffer for doing the least (basically making the show watchable) but Sheffer knew nothing about the actual characters, who he wrote as completely OOC-- half the time Sheffer thought he was writing for AMC, as mentioned in his Emmys acceptance speech.  After that speech, people should've seen the signs on what was to come.