Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Right. For decades I "spent" the holidays with the Hughes, Stewart, Bauer, Matthews, Martin, Karr, Lord and Wolek families; with Jo and Stu, aqnd so many other soap "friends" whom none of us will ever have the pleasure of watching again. It's certainly enough to make one nostalgic.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

" Also you have no idea if I am multiracial/multicultural. Or others on this board. We are not shoving our ethnic heritage front and center in the majority of our posts. I think you get a weird satisfaction from going round and round in circles about race. I am not against a good dialogue about race, but you have to start saying something new, something different, not beat the same old drum all the time. It alienates others who would likely be on your side because they believe in progressive issues as a whole. I feel sorry for black people who over identify with being black; I feel sorry for white people who over identify with being white; and with gay people who over identify with being gay, etc. It's only one part of who you are. Stop narrowly defining yourself and clinging to victimization. Be truly progressive and move yourself forward. The second A in NAACP stands for advancement. Advance yourself, stop pulling yourself back and allowing yourself to be defined by one part of yourself that you can't even be positive about, a part that on some level must seem like an inescapable curse. "

This is the most inanely bizarre thing I've read on this board in a VERY long time.  And that's saying something.  Sure race or sexuality is only "one part of who someone is"--but it IS one big part, and it is you Jarrod, who has the problem if you find it irrelevant that someone would bring it up on here when discussing how they've seen different storylines handled where it becomes incredibly relevant. 

• Members

You should really quote that properly so no one mistakes it for your post, lol.

Seriously though, coming onto this board, which has discussed these issues for well over a decade, and announcing you do not want to talk about race on soaps (an incredibly racist subgenre) because it makes you uncomfortable, and then saying that black people should just get over it takes a special kind of cluelessness. It's actually astonishing.

• Members

" I also find it odd that you have used a white person's photo as your avatar which makes me wonder if you want to be white. I've never encountered that before. I'm used to black people who are proud of their heritage and do not see it as one wrapped up in victimization and bigotry at nearly every turn."

Maybe DD used the Sharon Case avatar because she was amused by the geeky 90's look?

Really Jarrod - deal with your demons...

• Members

I just can't separate the winter holidays and ATWT/GL in my head, especially ATWT, as that was the soap which for me best showcased family and tradition. I miss it so much. I am glad they did at least have Bob give one last Thanksgiving speech in 2009. 

• Members

Thank you, Paul. In all my years of lurking and then posting on this board, I've never seen someone so sanctimonious. Why so judgmental, Jarrod? For someone who attacked the members of this board just months ago for being overly critical and negative, you sure seem to love to wallow in negativity.

• Members

Wow... why don't we just agree to disagree and move on from this topic?

I do admit to loving holiday episodes on the soaps (and will watch older holiday episodes from the 80s/90s online).

The one thing I wish modern soaps would portray is the chosen 'family' vs biological family aspect of life.  I'd love more scenes of Friendsgiving and friends celebrating Christmas because I know a lot of people do that instead of trying to go home for the holidays.  

• Members

It's a shame that those SoapClassics people just up and vanished.  They were obviously able to persuade PGP/P&G to open their vaults, even for a short time.  It's not inconceivable that someone on their level could manage such a feat again? 

ATWT had some really fun, festive party and special occasion episodes and a few were even self-contained. 

Is there nobody that has any way to connect with the production wing of P&G? 

Also, looking at that Insta of Tamara Tunie's Call Sheets makes me wonder whether if she saved any of her vintage scripts.  Do the actors get access to copies of some episodes that they were particularly proud of?  They probably didn't have time to watch complete episodes.

LOL, Michael Swan complaining about being short-changed on IMDB.  I guess that answers my question on why so few episodes are listed, I think it's crazy that IMDB wants the actor to list every episode themselves, that would be exhaustive for someone on a series for twenty, thirty, forty years!  Sadly, there is likely no other way to do this, other than manually since I doubt P&G kept any database listing of every episode--that would've made everything so much easier.

• Members

I hear yah. I've been binging ATWT, where people wear true winter coats, talk about ice skating, hot cocoa. Where sets were decorated for the entire month of December lavishly, everyone had a tree, and presents. 

Sigh....

Edited by P.J.