As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Just discovered that Leon Janney's character of Major Page was head of a children's military academy.

I assume this was the school little Tommy Hughes was sent to by Lisa. This was in early 1964, as Janney played the role for two months before being quickly moved over to Another World to take over the role of Jim Matthews when the original actor was dropped after a few episodes.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

From Slick Jones' List:

Amy Lin Hughes     Irene Yaah-Ling Sun      73-74    adopted by Penny and Anton; real grandparents were Mr. and Mrs. Parsons       see Hoppers

Una Kim             86

This has actually been bothering me for some time. I wonder if someone who was watching in the 70s could help me out.

So I've always understood Amy to have been adopted by Penny and Anton, as Slick wrote. Penny moved to England where she (offscreen) married Anton and they adopted Amy. Neither Anton, nor Amy was seen at that time.  Amy was first seen when she came to live with the Hugheses (and reconnected with the Parsons') in Oakdale in 73-74. Anton was first seen when Frannie went to stay with Penny in London in 1986-1987. This is also when the Amy recast (Una Kim) was brought on. So far so good.

But if Amy was adopted by Penny and Anton... this being the 70s and naming traditions being what they were back then... Wouldn't she have been named Amy Lin Cunningham? Yet the scrapbook (and several other places, I believe) list her as Amy Lin Hughes. I actually started wondering if Penny had adopted Amy prior to marrying Anton... like possibly when she was still in Oakdale/on screen? In which case it would make sense that she took Penny's name and hung onto it even after Penny got married. 

But maybe I'm reading too much into the whole thing. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

No, Penny had not adopted Amy before she left Oakdale in 1968. Nor did she have Amy when she briefly returned to town in 1971. We know that Penny assumed Anton's name when she married him, because during Chris' and Nancy's 50th anniversary celebration, Frannie introduced her as Penny Cunningham, so Amy was not referred to as "Hughes" because Penny had kept her maiden name. Penny was a Cunningham too. I always assumed that TPTB had just used Hughes as Amy's family name to make her ties to the Oakdale branch of the family more obvious, whether it make factual sense or not. But maybe Penny had adopted Amy prior to her marriage to Anton in England, and given her the surname Hughes already, so that when Penny and Anton later wed and he adopted the girl too, Amy had already established herself as a Hughes and did not want to change her name again.

I know that little nitpicky questions like this can drive soap fans crazy, LOL. It happens to me all the time too. :)

• Members

Both Horgan and Rosemary Prinz could have made multiple appearances right up to the series finale.  Missed opportunities, for sure.

Some months ago, I was revisiting a classic ATWT from 1986 and saw a scene where Frannie Hughes and Casey Perretti were returning from a date and just as Casey was moving in to kiss Frannie a wail came from inside--it was from baby Christopher Hughes.  The crying disrupted the moment.  

In a half-joking, half-complaining tone, Casey laments the unfortunate timing of "Vinne Boombatz". 

Please register in order to view this content

I had no idea what Casey was referring to so I began to try to find out.  Initially, I had misspelled the name and got no answers and forgot all about it.  Today, something jarred my memory and I decided to search again and for some reason, I found who I think Casey was referring to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Regarding Penny, Anton, and Amy:

I am almost sure that Amy was introduced when Phoebe Dorin was playing Penny #2. 

When Rosemary Prinz played Penny #1, the fact that she could not be a natural mother was a significant part of the story and a huge part of the Penny character.   One of the reasons (or perhaps the major reason), I feel, that she married Roy McGuire (Kasey Arnold) was that she would be a step-mother to Jimmy (the son of Roy and Sandy).  When Amy returned later, she had adopted Amy, who was at least in her teen-aged years (possible a bit older).

Amy wished to locate her blood relatives, and she found them:  Mr. and Mrs. Parsons (played briefly by Augusta Dabney and William Prince).    Mr. and Mrs. Parsons were the third role on As the World Turns for this couple.   Earlier, they had played a couple  (following their departure from Another World, I believe - or maybe before that show's premiere), Mr. and Mrs. Bill Holmes (I cannot recall the first name of the character played by Ms. Dabney at this moment), and Mr. and Mrs. Parsons.

• Members

Someone posted several videos from The Price Is Right from 1983 when the show did a salute to CBS daytime dramas by featuring actors from the network's soaps.  This episode featured "Steve" and "Betsy" introducing prizes during the Showcase Showdown.  They come on at around the 52nd minute.

• Members

I just watched the January 22, 1993 episode and was surprised to see Christopher Cass as Scott Eldridge.

I've always had him listed as the 2nd Scott Eldridge, between Joe Breen and Doug Wert. Since I've seen Breen appearing into June 1993, this must have been a temp appearance.

Now I'm wondering, though, if Cass still also took over the role after Breen's exit (in addition to temping during Breen's stint, kind of in the way Randolph Mantooth was brought on to replace Benjamin Hendrickson after he departed the show after already having temped during Hendrickson's stint)? Or did he only temp during Breen's stint? 

Soapcentral's profile on Scott has Cass as appearing from September to December of 1993, but we all know how trustworthy the dates from those profiles are. 

• Members

I know that some have said that they thought the couple was boring, but I liked Lyla & Casey. 

Perhaps because the 1980s became known as the era of the Super Couple (a term I've come to resent), people's expectation of a soap couple was slanted toward some couple that looked lifted from the cover of a Harlequin Romance novel, or something but I thought it was a couple that was grounded much more in reality and realistic problems, although I thought the majority of the couples on ATWT were closer to a realistic portrayal than a lot of other soaps.

One thing that I could appreciate, something that today's soaps seem fairly inept at, is that time was taken to build Casey's character on his own.  Lyla had a longer history on the canvas so we'd expect her to have a fully-formed character by the time she and Casey got together but I enjoyed the fact that Casey's character was built on its own, outside of a pairing first before he ever got together with Lyla.  And their pairing was something of a surprise.  Nowadays, from casting, everyone can spot a mile away, who will end up being paired off with whom.

I remember watching an episode last week where Lyla was in NYC and Casey was unsure of the status of his and Lyla's relationship.  Frannie, who'd just broken off her engagement to Seth, encouraged Casey to call Lyla and sort things out.  Casey called but ended up feeling frustrated when he could only leave a message with Lyla's "Do Not Disturb" answering service.  I started to wonder how many fans at that time assumed that he and Frannie would get together and how many thought he'd reconcile with Lyla?  Even the thought that there was a little suspense surrounding a relationship made me appreciate how many possibilities Marland created with these characters--a few times, it seemed, almost too many!

I vaguely remember the Native American woman, I think I was likely watching less at that particular moment.  Was this after Casey had passed away, or was he still alive?  I think this had to be years after, right?

The actress who portrayed the character, Kimberly Guerrero, is more memorable to me for her stint on Seinfeld that that storyline on ATWT.

• Members

Thanks for the detailed reply. I love what you said about the term supercouple and Marland's version of it. Of course Lily & Holden became Marland's big supercouple but the other more mature couples, like Kim & Bob and Lyla & Casey had plenty of good moments too. I remember an interview Marland did in one of the soap mags where he said he had been going towards a Frannie-Casey pairing but saw how well Anne Sward (Lyla) and Bill Shanks (Casey) worked together, so he put Casey with Lyla, and put Frannie into a triangle with Seth and Sabrina. What I liked about Lyla and Casey was they both had very distinct backgrounds. Marland took the time to clue us in about Casey's large Italian family even though they lived outside Oakdale. Bill Shanks was a great actor, sexy and funny, very well suited to the soap genre, because you could see why women would fall for him, but also he wasn't arrogant or off-putting, and with his sense of humor, he seemed relatable. I was devastated when Marland decided to kill him off.

The Native American girl was named Simone. I just looked up Kimberly Guerrero on the IMDb and it says she was on ATWT from 1992 to 1993. I could have sworn it was earlier. So she must have shown up after Casey's death, I suppose when Lyla was involved with Cal. She rented a room from Lyla, and I believe she was from New Mexico. Maybe she was a nursing student? I can't recall all the details of why she came to Oakdale or if she was involved romantically with anyone. She stood out, because there were no real Native American characters on soaps up to that point, or very many since. At least not on contract, and she was a regular character for a year.