As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

It is amusing that James tried all of these schemes from drug running to mind control to make money, meanwhile he could have lived off of Barbara's investment in Lisa 's company.  While James is trying to figure out how to manipulate his wive's dreams, Lisa is quietly inventing J Crew's entire business plan.

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Probably Bunim's obsession with youth made her believe that dimmer lighting would somehow make everyone look younger, particularly the older cast members.  Who knows?

James seemed much too chauvinistic to rely on Barbara to maintain his lifestyle and I suspect Barbara was attracted to that aspect of him.

Before Hal, Barbara seemed to gravitate toward these chauvinistic types, brimming with machismo.  Maybe, not so much Brian, although the more he stood up to her and told her off, the more she seemed driven to keep him in her orbit.  Tonio and Duncan were both brimming with machismo.

Also, James liked to live on the edge.  A quiet life with the 'missus' would never have appealed to him for too long.

It kind of became a running joke, how many businesses Lisa had but I kinda loved that that she low-key had her hands in all these different companies. Every now and then, she'd exert her influence through one of her ventures, not in overt ways like Lucinda but in sly ways.

We don't see much of that in today's daytime soaps.

• Members

Is it their departure in 1984 that causes the exodus of Burke Donovan and Gunner St. Clair?

It seems odd to have two characters, in the same story, have fatal diseases that they want to keep secret from Dusty and the women they loved.

Also, I'm sure that I'm not the first to notice, and I know that they are spelled differently, but it would have been fun if Henry and Maddie Coleman had been relatives of Joyce and Grant Colman.  That scene from the 50th Anniversary of Soaps when Joyce feigns a headache and Lisa tells her she wouldn't care if she had a tumor; gets me every time.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Haha, that's actually @Mitch's quote though.  Mine was responding to his.  

That is odd.  I was so young when that story aired that I wouldn't have truly understood it but by the way, you've just described it...sounds like I still wouldn't understand it.

Having Maddie and Henry be related to Grant would've made a whole LOT more sense than having Henry related to James Stenbeck.  Also, it would've really made Maddie's connection to Lisa that much more meaningful had they done that.  Missed opportunity.

Hm.  That's interesting. I'm not sure how I felt about Y&R's lighting back then but it seemed to work a sure sight better for Y&R than it did for ATWT, perhaps the difference in climates?  Being in sunny California vs. being in seasonal NYC?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I would love to read Bunim's Afternoon Tv interview about ATWT.

I had all those mags, but they disappeared along the way.

I do recall her talking about the lighting, saying they would be using key lighting to focus on the performer on camera. She said it takes extra time to light the set but needed to be done to update the visual appeal of the show.

Seems that didn't happen as planned...

• Members

I wonder why they didn't have Bob and Lyla marry. They were engaged and broke it off due to the revelation of John being Margo's dad but the impact would have been greater with Lyla and he being married. I don't remember them having that much chemistry but they both are such pleasant actors I cant imagine they didnt have an easy chemistry. It made more sense then Bob and the drug lord Miranda.

• Members

That is Anne Sward who played Lyla.  I do agree that pretty much every 50+ actress from ATWT has aged like fine wine.

I think the actors had a nice chemistry even after it was clear that they were never going to be a couple (like when Bob and Kim were engaged). Bob and Lyla seemed more like friendly colleagues by then but they still had a kind of chemistry, albeit mostly platonic by then.

The only time I can remember is at Bob's bachelor party, he was roasted by a fellow doctor who made fun of all Bob's failed relationships before Kim.  Miranda and her infamous profession was mentioned.

• Members

I think Bob and Lyla had a lot of dramatic potential at the time and should have been married ..the impact of Lyla's past would have thrown a loop and then just as they were getting back together Lyla could have learned of Margo's affair with James, causing tension as she tries to keep the secret that Margo is screwing over Bob's step daughter....(okay, I would have gone full Marland and had Bob mentioning his need for honesty while Lyla looks guilty..)but they needed to have a strong Hughes family to make that work with Nancy and Chris there and the close ties with Babs and the family, which the Dobs destroyed so all the potential was gone.  Bob and Kim could have still come down the road.