As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Of course, he wouldn't agree with that LOL

I'm going to say I never liked Carly with Jack.. I think pairing them was the worst thing the show did with her character.  She was a spitfire and entertaining pre-Jack.  Plus, while I thought she was a good actress.. I certainly didn't think she deserved all the Emmy accolades either, but I figure it's all in the eye of the beholder in terms of acting talent.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Pairing Carly with Jack (and vice-versa) was not a bad idea.  But having them marry (and marry, and marry again) was where the show went wrong.  Even if the show had had them marry and divorce once, Jack and Carly should have remained soulmates who would always WANT to be together -- and who would always have each other's backs whenever one or the other was in trouble -- but who knew that a marriage or re-marriage between them would never work.

Edited by Khan

• Members

So basically like Bob and Lisa. 

Yeah, I always thought Jack and Carly should have divorced.. stayed friends while both had relationships with others.. then during the nine months the show had to conclude stories.. worked them back into each other's romantic orbit and reconcile before the show ended.

• Members

Yeah, there was too much tying up of everything in a neat little bow before the ATWT ended.  In a way, Lily and Holden's "ending" was the most realistic of all the storylines (Bob and Kim moving to Arizona? Really?).

This is going to sound somewhat controversial but I think that tying up everything in a tidy bow shut the door on any possibility for the show to come back.

Many people hollered and whined about AMC's 'cliffhanger' ending but it actually created some space for the possibility of a revival (which it did get, at least for a season with the TOLN online version). 

If I'm not mistaken OLTL did a similar thing (not as obvious) with the Todd/Trevor situation.

Now if the Daytime Emmys were truly smart, they'd once and for all award Kathryn Hays with that lifetime achievement award and they'd likely be able to get Julianne Moore to be one of the presenters or at least a pre-taped segment but the way that Moore has spoken so highly of her, I wouldn't be surprised if they could get her there as one of the presenters.

It's remains inexcusable that Hays doesn't have an Emmy.

• Members

I never thought of Bob and Lisa that way. Lisa did love Bob but I felt like Bob had moved on, although he obviously had a lot of respect/fondness for her (even if she could still drive him crazy). 

The main issue with Jack and Carly I think was that the show trashed Carly's character with every breakup. 

• Members

There's still no excuse for such a minimalistic ending. The cancellation was announced 9 or 10 months before the finale aired...plenty of time to do things right. GL had less time than that, and for all the mistakes Ellen Wheeler made, she still got many former stars back for the last episodes. AW had mere weeks to wrap things up, so I can forgive them for everything except the gorilla. Chris Goutman really dropped the ball...or globe?

Anyway, I found the clip of Don Hastings and Kathy Hays being honored at the 1998 SOD Awards - complete with a video tribute by their castmates!! Kathy had just recently celebrated her 25th anniversary on the show. Pure class all the way. ❤

Nope, not one nomination. However, she did get a Primetime Emmy nomination for her guest spot on the original Star Trek.

• Members

On the topic of Marie Masters, her Wikipedia page says she was on Kate & Allie. But, I can't find it on her IMDB page. Does anyone know if it's true? And if so, which episode? I can't recall seeing her and feel I would've remembered. She and Susan Saint James do look alike. Maybe that's where the confusion is.

• Members

There are times when I wish someone like Laurence Caso had been brought back to help finish off ATWT, because Chris Goutman was so obviously disengaged from the whole thing that he might as well have been working on another show.

• Members

Had ATWT actually finished strong, there might have been a compelling case and perhaps some further interest beyond just talk but with that floptastic ending, I guess we'll never truly know.

I didn't realize this.

Edited by DramatistDreamer