As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I know the story stinks, but I had a soft spot in my heart for the actress. She'd been on GL as a ex-hooker/nurse. 

But Beau---no such attachment. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by P.J.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

An ex-hooker and a nurse, whoa what a skill-set!

Robin Morse deserved better than what she actually got.  I think she was on the receiving end of two unfortunate events that impacted her character Pam heavily: 

I think the writing perhaps put her with Beau maybe much earlier and for keeps because they likely knew in advance that Brian Bloom wouldn't be staying for much longer. 

Also, the writer's strike, well, we all know what it did to the storylines.

I remember watching as a kid and not having much patience for Beau  Watching You Tube episodes just a few years ago and he didn't bother me, maybe because by now I've seen so much worse on soaps since those days.

• Members

It gets better: hooker nom de plume: Candy!

The biggest obstacle? Lily. Hard to thrive when Lily sucked up airtime and men. Even Jennifer Ashe didn't really hit her stride until Meg was moved out of competition with Lily.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I think that was the biggest issue. Marland mostly just focused on one ingenue - he tried to recreate the Nola/Morgan dynamics with Meg/Lily but Lily then blew up into a bigger character than Morgan (maybe because Martha Byrne didn't bring the backstage issues that Kirsten Vigard did)  while Meg was redirected. No woman could compete or contrast with Lily after that.

I do think Pam worked as a B or C-character, there to fill out 5 days a week of 40 minutes of television. And I really liked Robin Morse's work in the role - she was a very intelligent actress. I think ATWT and GL had the most intelligent and natural acting of the soaps in these years and it made them stand out. I even liked her with Beau.

Marland did try with her once she split with Dusty, but I think she was screwed by the transition period she was in. Brian Bloom, Jon Hensley and Martha Byrne all left. Marland was focusing more on Andy, Paul, Lien, all characters younger than her. Duke was coming and was in her age range, but he was her cousin. Her biggest solo stories had been during the strike, with Beau. I didn't mind Beau, but he was an odd fit for ATWT anyway (although I do wonder how Marland's original plans for the character would have worked out). She had that brief story where Trucker from Loving went psycho (another story I wonder what the original plans were) and not much else. 

Is Dennis Cooney in this Pontiac ad about 4 minutes in?

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I didn't much care for Pam when she first arrived in Oakdale. It was another character of which I had never heard, she didn't do much - at least in the episodes I could find - however, I've come to enjoy her as an actress, definitely. Even though I don't enjoy Beau all that much, it's through this storyline that I've warmed to her. Sounds as if she never really gets much of a chance to shine after this though. All soaps at that time had those B or C characters, as said above, and I agree that the character works quite well as one of those.

I see that my writing was misleading in an earlier post. When I said I was glad "she" was gone, I meant Laura. I do enjoy Pam. As you said, Beau though...not so much. 

• Members

No, I've confused you. Carolyn Ann Clarke played Laura, and the role of Lesley Ann ( Candy ) on GL. 

Robin Morse played Pam on ATWT. She is the actor Robert Morse's daughter, FYI. But she's been in little else since ATWT.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

LOL..I forgot about annoying Lesley Ann..who not only was Candy, the ex hooker turned nurse and good friend of equally annoying and seemingly lesbianic Hillary Bauer, but was dating obviously gay Warren Andrews (come on, I can see Alex keeping him around as an arm to go places with and to do her bidding as she manipulates everyone in sight..and to tell her which one of her necklaces was too..chunky to wear when going to blackmail someone... but as a passionate straight guy..noooooo...) and was bit by a mouse as she reached for a fork..(come on Warren, a little housekeeping does wonders...) and was infected and died of the "Dreaming Death!"

• Members

Robin Morse has been teaching acting, mainly in NYC, I believe.

My goodness, I had forgotten all about the Lily factor!  Of course!

Please register in order to view this content

Interesting about Meg breaking out of that Lily circle, although when we look at the timing of the initial introduction of the Meg character, she was clearly brought on as foil to Lily, especially in regards to her relationship with Dusty. Fortunately for the Meg character (and Jennifer Ashe), the character was allowed to mature and progress  to the adult world of relationships (and she progressed even faster than Lily did).

@DRW50 is right to assert the notion that the characters in Pam's age group having been cycled out and replaced by a younger set, left the character kind of stuck for awhile and a bit hampered going forward.

Still, I never got the sense that Pam was supposed to be a foil for Lily (like Meg), well, not for long because Pam was all the things that Meg was not when she first arrived in Oakdale. Pam was self-aware, mature and proud of her industrious nature, civil servant Jersey background.    Unlike Meg, Pam never had fantasies of being anybody's heroine. 

Pam was a fully formed woman, which makes me think that there were bigger ambitions for the character that somehow went awry.