As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Yes, she was a fun villain. And her commupance was so earned and good. You just never get that nowadays. She was so evil for so long and she got just what was coming to her. 

Definitely her character was ruined and we called her Fluffy on MediaDomain and we all hated her. She was much more fun as a villain planting condom wrappers and faking stalkers. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I loved the Katie take down and the Endicott Awards (this was the year I started watching ATWT) but I loved loved LOVED her transformation into a leading lady. I remember reading an interview with her where the Terri explained how Kathryn Hays took her aside right before Katie's marriage to Simon. Kathryn explained to her how to go about making the audience go with you and come around to being on your side and which scene was the real hook that would make it happen.

And for some of us, she was right! Katie was one of my all time favorite ATWT characters. I loved the actress. I loved the character! Loved Katie & Simon, their wedding where it snowed in the church is beautiful, LOVED Katie & Mike - I called that pairing a few months before it happened. It was only in the horrid last few years of the show where I wasn't as into the pairings. I was never a huge Katie/Brad fan, and the Chris stuff at the end was just ridiculous.

So just know that not everyone is on the Hate Katie bandwagon!  HAHA!

• Members

I was excited for Simon and Katie because I thought two grey characters coming together...the anti hero and hwroine...but both kind of got declared.  It's why I liked when the actress joined OLTL after ATWT and got to play a fun con artist...that I realized she was good at playing shifty con artist characters.

The Endicott awards was a great exposure for Katie...and I also liked when Lyla visited one Christmas after Katie eloped with Simon where Katie' s lies about how horrible her mother was to her was exposed.

• Members

The Endicott Awards exposure was great to fun to see Katie get taken down, and I had liked Katie's characterization through the Simon years as I was a fan of the pairing as well as the early Mike and Katie story. I believe it was late 2005/early 2006 or thereabouts during the Nick Kasnoff caper of when Katie became a massive sanctimonious hypocrite as she pitted herself tooth and nail against Carly, despite Katie ruining her own marriage herself at the time. Katie being paired up with Jack was the worst!

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

What they did behind the camera is their business. I didn't mind Katie/Brad. They did have chemistry. What bothered me about the pairing was Katie constantly scolding Brad as if she was a saint. I did grow sick of them for some time when they were pro-Janet getting with Jack. But that was Jean Passanante's doing, who said she based Janet off herself. Of course she'd have Janet propped. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I'm really glad to I got to see Dear Evan Hansen with the original cast (including Michael Park) - I can honestly say it's one of the best shows/musicals I've seen on Broadway in years. 

MP seems so proud of his association with it too, it's just nice to see one of the actors you discovered on a soap be part of something else (in another medium) that means so much to many people. I know the relatively young cast loves him, and have said he's as much of a paternal figure backstage as his character is on the show. It was the lead actor's (Ben Platt) last performance today, and MP has some nice things up on Instagram of the two of them. 

• Members

They were both horrid for different reasons.

Katie was essentially a Stepford version of Carly, and it was disturbing to see Carly virtually replaced with her kids. And frankly, Jack looked like a hypocrite whitewashing Katie's sins to justify [!@#$%^&*] her.

And there was just something so pathetic about Carly hooking up with a guy who clearly didn't give a [!@#$%^&*] about her feelings. I've blocked most of it from my memory, but I remember he was pingponging between her and Lily, Carly knew it, and accepted whatever crumbs Holden dished out. And then she ended up taking the brunt of it from everyone, while Holden just shrugged his shoulders and slunk back to his marriage like he'd proved a point after Lily/Dusty. 

• Members

I like to refer to those as "the lost years". The show was a mess -- everyone covered it well in a few earlier posts.

1986/1987 was my favourite time, maybe other than 1997. I'm jealous you're experiencing everything for the first time. Enjoy

Please register in order to view this content

It's brilliant. I yearn for those kinds of days.