As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

If I had the finances I'd move heaven and earth to get ATWT back on the air somehow on another network or maybe a spinoff of ATWT with most of the characters…vets of course and those who left that Id love to see back again. I'd bring back the 1985 opening and closing with the original classic globe spinning. I can't believe I stomached all the new openings and closings from late 93 and on…..the final years were tragic…with the cornfield opening and the last season with a simple small globe with no actual music….it was just terrible.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I liked the CONCEPT of the cornfield opening since it brought back some of that middle-class, Midwestern feel that might have been lost in the days of big action/adventure and business-oriented stories.  But, yeah, the execution of that sequence was just dreadful to watch.

• Members

Do you think that GL would've needed to go the UK route where they needed a permanent outdoor set along with a studio? That's what I thought was gonna happen with Peapack but I was sadly mistaken. To do that too, I think that GL would've needed to be out of P&G's hands and for CBS to invest in the show all the way, which I doubt would've happened. 

Even though I was glad ATWT was put out its misery (b/c of JP, CG, and P&G), it still had life to it. And EON would be a big hit nowadays as procedurals and murder mystery shows are HOT. 

I'd add Another World to that list, @Khan. I think the show just needed a few things retooled and it would've been fine. 

*gasps* 

I loved the Jelinda's theme opening ('93). I loved the toilet flush opening too. :P They just needed to switch the sound of the world rotating for something more pleasant. I hated the 02-06 opening though. That theme was garbage. I did love the cornfield opening though.  :ph34r: I was just pissed there was only one variation and we didn't get one with Lisa in it! 

• Members

The flushing opening was ok ….I loved the graphics but they should have gone back to the 85 opening music with an update on it….without the flush…and by then there was no closing credits although if fans purchased the dvds you can see the closing to the flush opening….again great graphics but the theme music could have been done better.

• Members

I used this theme on my blog that I was doing here awhile back--do you think this version would've been suitable?

SN: This YT poster has done modern version of Y&R, GL, AW, and other soap themes too. Should check them out. 

That probably would've been better. I did thought like the 1993 opening and it showing all the seasons. I wonder how it would've mashed up with the 1986 theme, as I hated the 89 theme of ATWT. 

• Members

It reminded me too much of Y&R. Funny how years earlier I wondered how ATWT would sound with Y&R music behind their graphics….I was so use to the fast pace music. I don't recall the reaction by fans to the new music. I am sure it was discussed in the mags by fans of the show.

• Members

Nuh-uh. Maybe it felt better because  a) all of the sudden GL got more publicity about it's cancellation than it had in the previous 20 years combined,  or  b ) it had fallen so far that the gruel EW served up looked better than the [!@#$%^&*] on a shingle she'd delivered in Peapack, But I will never forgive the WTFery of Billy and Vanessa's wedding (after most of their reunion being served up off-screen, BTW, and I know that's a fact because they'd sucker me in with spoilers and then be on for a grand total of two FREAKIN minutes while some huge non-event in Otalia's relationship played out for a majority of the eppy) being usurped by Buzz and Lillian and two non-credited Y&R homage-inspired "guests". They freakin' killed Alan and dumped his ashes three feet off a beach.

I may hate, loathe and DESPISE the way Luke's dead lover ate up more than half of the last month of the show, and that Katie got more sympathy than the dead matriarch of the show---at her own funeral. Or that that bitch Janet befouled Carjack's honeymoon suite with the afterbirth of her bastard son. Still doesn't make GL's ending better.

• Members

It felt better for me because of the returns and because even for all the phony earnestness and cheese and bizarre need for everyone to have a baby, I thought it represented the GL I'd loved. Little scenes like Bill and Fletcher saying they missed Ben (who hadn't been mentioned in years). ATWT, in comparison, had a cheap-looking spinning globe.

• Members

Ive seen that closing and love it…that should have been the 2001 ending graphics with just a few nip and tucks touch ups…the music is much better than the flush but it still sounds too generic…so it would need some tuning…sounds like a version I have from a cassette I bought back in the day of soap themes.

And the ONE thing I missed the most from the rest of the closings and openings was the first few seconds of the spinning sound of the globe..that was classic…One LIfe to Live tried copying it with their opening…..

It was also on the oltl closing credits ….by then ATWT was almost done with on and on theme…. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I love you dearly b/c of our love for CarJack and ATWT, but GL was better in it's final week than ATWT. :ph34r:

I didn't care for Buzz and Lillian's insta-wedding with Billy and Vanessa but it was a nod to history as Lillian begged Maureen for forgiveness--something we never saw her do before sharing a wedding with Maureen's best friend. That was what was great about GL--they acknowledged and made nods to history. I do agree that Jeanne Cooper and Christian LeBlanc popping up was stupid as hell; however, I knew Jeanne wanted to be on GL's finale badly b/c she's always expressed (as a fan) if she wasn't on Y&R, she would've wanted to be on GL.

ATWT didn't. Besides CarJack's wedding and the final scene with Bob/Kim, the final week was a dud thanks to Goutman. 

• Members

What was the "Corn field," opening?? Was that the boring and depressing one with the geese flying that made the show look so dull and out of date? I LOVED the toliet flushing one...I never thought of it as that until someone brought it up here. I think (besides the flushing noise) the theme was kind of classy and majestic like the old dame of the show should be.

But I have to give Bunim and Company credit that they did create the best theme with the "World Keeps Turning" one. They should have just updated that one..but I still think they should have kept JFP's GL opening and just tweaked it once in a while.

And P.J. they did not dump Alan's ashes off a beach ...it was a bad drainage ditch then that they used...earlier they had the Lewis boys fishing out of the damn thing! Who would have eaten the fish??? They also had that Chippendale's dancer looking guy who they unaccountedly hooked up with Mel, fighting someone in that ditch, so we could have poor Mel hose the mud off so that off course, we could get a shirtless wet shot of him.  That is the kind of ditch that as kids we would play around and try to drown barbies and float toy boats and if our one of our Mom's found out she would yell, "Get away from there you know its full of people's CRAP!!!" (which wasn't true but I could never watch a scene with that damn ditch without thinking someone should have yelled that at the characters.

I

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I thought it was Klein too. Oh well.

I totally forgot that Monti Sharp was on ATWT for a stint too. I thought his story with Camille/Ben was absurd. I swear they used to give Ben (and those surrounding him) some of the most absurd stories minus the church fire and later the Marshall Travers story.