As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

LOL..it looked like a good old midwestern drainage ditch to me!!

Speaking of Alan's ashes...why the hell would Buzz Cooper be sticking his fat head in the scene? First he takes over the Billy Van wedding with his open maw gum chewing and then Alan's funeral. Why did they not kill Buzz off..I would have gone off happy!

I never saw the cornfield opening and I don't know who half those people are!!! Shows how invested in the show I was.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I probably stopped watching the show about a year or two into Sheffer. I liked him at first...but then...I picked up watching again at the very end.  Weird, no matter how bad GL was I kept watching but I just could not watch ATWT.

God, how I would have loved a good old fashioned over acting Justin Deas death bed scene....it would have given me so much joy after years of that voice schreeching from my screen. But I could not have stood the funeral, as you know he would have had more attention then Bert Bauer...

• Members

Wow who knew Lily and Holden could be kinda sick and sexy??? In Marland's bible or outline proposal for his first few years..Lily was much bitchier and spoiled, even swinging a riding crop at Holden who then uses it on her. I don't know if its because of Byrne...(who never seemed sexy to me...) or because Marland made Lily the Mary Sue to end all Mary Sues...but they changed that.

That scene reminded me of when Holden had sex (unknown to him) with Rose and thinking it was Lily said..."I didn't think you were into that???" One could only guess what "that" was....but poor Holden, stuck with misonary position Lily his married life.

• Members

Well they should've kept the two this way going years forward. I don't mind MB's Lily during this time b/c she was at least a brat but not as preachy as she'd later become. When it comes to Holden, there are no complaints from me about him in the episodes I am watching as of late. I like him being lustful and raunch and I am questioning why Lily didn't jump his bones sooner. Especially, when he was on that bed shirtless, stroking that cat. I (personally) would've gotten rid of the cat and had some alone time with Holden. :P

• Members

I can't believe they put shirtless Holden on the bed...petting a cat! Not too subtle there.  The episode was good and really flew by..I forgot how bitchy Lucinda was and forget that Iva had balls back then. The actresses chemistry was great..I loved Lucy grabbing her (a bit of Hubbard improv?) and Iva pushing on back. Iva became such a drip later.  All the fire that Marland put into the characters seemed to have been drained in a few years. Real Margo and Tom with energy...(forgot them like that Dolan and that other guy turned them into such drips.)

I actually thought Holden was hotter older but I know I am in the minority.

• Members

Finn Carter really didn't have a chance surrounded by such a stellar cast at the very top of their game during those first years of Marland's reign.   But I've always loved her portrayal of Sierra.  So memorable even after all these years.  

• Members

I loved Finn Carter and Sierra during the Marland years!  Sierra was such a subtle character but the development of her character from 85, when she first appeared to the end of 86' was so dramatic when you actually think about it, but it was a gradual change that was rooted in story, which made it so believable.  

From those scenes of Sierra being manhandled by Tonio and wanting to hide the bruises to her response to Lucinda's plea for her to reconsider divorcing Tonio where Sierra saucily says "If you think he's such a great husband, why don't you marry him?!" :lol:   And Sierra admitting that (in marrying Tonio) she made the biggest mistake of her life and she was trying to fix it.  So you went from a character who was once easily manipulated by her mother, lied to and cheated on by her husband, to someone who creates and determines her own agency and under her own power, charts her own life course.  

That was some deft writing on Marland's part, which made it all the more sad how Sierra's character was torn up in '94 to facilitate Craig's budding relationship with Samantha.  I know Finn wasn't returning to the show so something had to be done to resolve the issue of her marriage to Craig but considering the fact that Scott didn't even stay that much longer anyway and Kirk and Sam soon got together, I consider it kind of a waste what they did to both Craig and Sierra at this point-from then on, both characters became somewhat expendable.  During the Marland years however, the character grew in esteem, albeit quietly.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I didn't really start watching ATWT live until summer 1985, so it was a bit jarring to find on Youtube Sierra's early scenes where Craig found her in Montega as a tomboy/rebel-fighter speaking English with a Latino accent.  But it just goes to show what a great writer Marland was by how well Sierra was integrated into the storylines.  Oakdalian uploaded some terrific and feisty performances by Finn Carter (playing opposite Scott Bryce) from a November '85 episode under the title "Lily Meets Holden," before her disastrous marriage with Tonio.