As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Tomorrow is two of my all time favorite soaps anniversaries!   ATWT and Dallas!!

At the time during the 30th anniversary ATWT had surpassed GL in the ratings and became CBS #2 soap behind YR. ATWT would continue its surge in the coming months. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ah...Marland trope..ambition is bad and destroys relationships...even though most of the characters are upper middle class to rich and must have some ambition to get there.   

There are a lot of characters here and I can see why successive writers cut down on the amount..only Marland could have juggled all of this and even then, the more and more he got away from the core..(remember Aunt Mary???) 

Mark Lewis...he was so cute here and on GL...too bad his GL character was so boring and tied up Mindy from doing anything more interesting then stamp her feet and pout. 

Love how the MonaLisa suddenly became "peach." Whatever happened to it..did they ever mention it during Gautman.

• Members

After Marland's death, I watched ATWT for another 18 months.  1993 stayed strong but by early 1994 the seams were showing.  While Shannon's January 1994 return was a fantastic surprise, her story immediately became boring when it was clear that the new writers did not know how to write for her.  And the villainous Hans was also boring largely because the actor playing him was a light-weight.  Conflict, subtext, weighty confrontations all seemed to disappear from the show. With Marland, I felt he was always one step ahead of the audience; Friday cliff-hangers were true nail-biters.  But post-Marland, I was rarely surprised. I know I keep using the word "boring" -- but there it is.

• Members

I always thought it a waste to let her (Georgia) go when the character still had story to tell.

She had that push and pull connection with Lucinda while she was to Lily what Lily was to Sierra.  

And she was a nice bridge between the Walshes and Hughes family since she interacted with both.

• Members

Such sad news! I was a big fan of hers from ATWT and have continued that love with The Doctors reruns. I actually just reached her 1977 exit yesterday during my Easter binge. 

She truly was one of the greats and could make any story work, until the end. I think it’s a shame that there were times when her talent wasn’t appreciated which I know happened on both The Doctors and ATWT. She was one of the main reasons I was able to stay invested in ATWT until the end. 

My condolences go out to the cast and crew, as well as her family and fans.