• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Variety May 1st 1981

Paul Roberts, last season a story consultant for NBC-TV's "Days Of Our Lives," has been named head writer for CBS-TV's soap "As The World Turns".

He replaced the Dobsons.I think his stint was interrupted bt the writers strike.

ATWT went downhill during this time.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I probably wasn't yet sophisticated enough to think along those lines (though I was sorry the members of the triangle were gone)! I remember being really concerned about Betsy being an orphan (or thinking she was anyway).

Edited by jam6242

• Members

Well, I liked Kim so I was on her side whatever she did. Something about Jennifer put me off, I don't really know what it was, I didn't find her sympathetic. Were Carol and Tom a couple at this time? I liked them too. This may have been a little later but I was really into the Lisa/Grant/Joyce triangle. Barbara Rodell was such a great villainess. Joyce made Lisa seem like the heroine!

Edited by jam6242

• Members

1958 Summary

By early 1958, Penny and Jeff will have eloped; however, the two get an annulment at Nancy's insistence.

Jeff is having problems with Al James, who sees Penny as a "tramp" and Jeff as a spoiled rich boy. The two have a violent scuffle, which results in Al's death. Chris defends Jeff with the help of a new young lawyer named Tom Pope. Al's death is ruled an accident and Jeff is cleared, but there is a strain in his relationship with Penny for a time. So Jeff joins the army and Penny starts dating Tom Pope. Jeff has a temporary leave from the Army around August and sees Penny during that time.

Ellen Lowell has her own problems. Her mother, Claire, has just married Dr. Doug Cassen and Ellen has a hard time warming up to him. Judge Lowell also disapproves of Claire marrying Doug so soon after Jim's death. But a new man soon comes into Ellen's life: Dr. Tim Cole, a research colleague of Dr. Doug Cassen. The two have a passionate affair, but Tim is keeping something from Ellen: he is already married to someone else. Ellen soon finds herself pregnant. Since she doesn't want anyone in Oakdale to know she's going to have a baby out of wedlock, Ellen leaves for Columbus, where she stays with Dr. Joe Meadows and his wife. It is there that Ellen gives birth to a baby boy she names James, after her late father.

Edith Hughes, who was devastated by Jim's death, also finds love again via Dr. George Frye.

Donald begins his law career by apprenticing under lawyer Mitchell Dru. But Don quickly tries the patience of all would advise him on how to conduct himself as a lawyer. He argues with a judge at his first trial. Then, while working in the District Attorney's office, he takes so many liberties with cases that he is nearly disbarred. Chris is able to discredit the witness and thus saves Don's job.

Bob Hughes, now 16, has worried Chris and Nancy by spending time with local troublemaker Larry Winters.