"Secret Storm" memories.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kitty Styles was feisty and didn't take any nonsense. She had, obviously, acquired this demeanor, as a result of her (backstory) relationships.

You could see the hurt in her eyes, but the curling of her lips and gnashing of her teeth told the story of a very dtermined woman.

This really struck a chord with me, because, strangely enough, my wife is a virtual carbon copy of Kitty Styles. so, I guess I have the 1971 writers of Secret Storm and the incomparable Diane Ladd for steering me into my wife's direction a dozen years later.

• Members

When you get old and crotchety, like me, some details may slip by you. My other 1,001 current medical maladies don't help either. I do recall Kitty Styles being involved, or at least in her backstory, she had been involved with R.B. Keefer, who came to Woodbridge, in hopes of finding Kitty and stirring up trouble. Keefer was played by the former 1950s/60s teen heartthrob Troy Donahue. If memory serves me, I believe Keefer was murdered.

Kitty was one of a kind. If ever there was someone who had been in the school of hard knocks, she was one, but her sheer grit and determination helped her to overcome life's obstacles.

• Members

The role of Keefer must have been a hoot for Troy Donahue to play because it was a total departure from the clean-cut image he had in 50s & 60s. Long stringy hair, perhaps even a moustache or beard, I can't recall, at the moment. Whiskey swigging, Harley Davidson afficionado, brass knuckles...etc. The two of them, Diane Ladd and Troy Donahue were a joy to watch together.

I believe Keefer came to town because he had some dirt on Kitty, and threatened to spill the beans.

• Members

I am aware I'm asking questions that rely on the memory of events occuring nearly four decades ago. Because of this , I appreciate you sharing what you do remember about the program since there seems to be only be a handful of people online with actual memories of this program. Characters from the early 1970s seem to be forgotten even though they would be part of the final years of the series. Thanks again for your comments about Keefer and Kitty. It sounds like a classic soap setup.

If you have any memories about Kiser's role I wouldn't mind reading them.

• Members

Of course, Terry Kiser hit big time fame TWICE...at about the same time that he was on Secret Storm, he played in an Alka Seltzer commercial where he played a newlywed bridegroom who has had a less than favorable gastrointestinal reaction to his wife's first home cooked meal. The wife is seen in bed, on the phone enjoying what she deemed her 'moment of triumph,' while a bedraggled Terry Kiser stumbles into the bathroom to take a couple of Alka -Seltzer tablets. The actress, who played the bride, Alice Playten, passed away last year at the age of 63. Kiser is now 72.

His other big claim to fame was as the 'dearly departed' in the series of 'Weekend at Bernie's' movies.

I'm trying to think back to the storyline where he played twins, and if memory serves me, Terry Kiser's character, masqueraded as a returning Vietnam War veteran in order to pull off some scam on one of Woodrbidge's more affluent families. It's slowly coming back to me. Please bear with me, because if you knew the medical problems I have been going through (for the past 11 years), you would be shocked...My medical melodrama could, easily, fuel several soap opera storylines. I'm suing for medical malpractice...the simplest procedure was botched up 4 1/2 years ago. I can't wait for my day in court, if I last that long.

On a brighter note, I can happily tell you that the new book that I am a featured contributor, 'Survival of Soap Opera: Transformations for a New Media Era,' published by the Univ. of Mississippi Press, dec 2010, is coming out in paperback form in March 2012. My chapter recalls my memories of 'The Edge of Night,' which for many years airred immediately after or before 'Secret Storm.'

Edited by edgeofnight

• Members

A little bit of Secret Storm trivia...two actors on the show became the son and daughter-in-law of the legendary Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.

Linda Purl was briefly married to Desi Arnaz, Jr.

Lawrence Luckinbill, who played Frank Carver, has been married to Lucie Arnaz since 1980. He was formerly married to Robin Strasser (AW & OLTL)

Edited by edgeofnight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...