"Secret Storm" memories.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Her Wiki page says she did well in rehearsal but was nervous oncamera. And, apparently, drunk.

It's a good script though, and she does OK. Imagine if Loretta Young had filled in as Susan!

The biggest and happiest surprise for me was getting to hear Aunt Grace for the first time. She wasn't what I expected at all. I expect someone like that little old lady on Brighter Day. Grace was tough as nails! I loved it. She added a lot of spark. The show had such a fascinating and in some ways very ahead of its time view of females.

• Members

I would like to contribute with this interesting SS article....it's from Daytime TV March 1974... A mask ball I would love to see one day in youtube....although I think it is nearly impossible....

And Carl, if you have the article and cover of OLTL from Afternoon tv Sept 1969....I'd enjoy a lot reading it...THANKS!!!!!

ss19741.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ss19742.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Members

Thanks for the article. It does seem like it came pretty close to being picked up. I wonder what would have happened if it had been, if they would have been able to build the show up again.

I've seen that photo of Gale and Braxton getting ready for bed, and it is always very evocative, striking. I have never been overly impressed with what I've seen of Gale elsewhere. I wish I'd seen him in this role.

The Afternoon TV cover is of ATWT (I posted that in the ATWT thread at one point). The OLTL contents are mostly, I think, an interview with Gillian Spencer. I posted that here.

• Members

The Joan Crawford episode was wonderful. The last 'Storm' episode saynotoursoap posted was from January / February 1967. Since then, Peter Ames has died, Paul and Amy Britton left and returned to Woodbridge, Robin died setting in motion to Amy / Belle feud, and a series of new characters have arrived in town.

I loved the opening exchanged between Charlie and Belle. Listening to this, I realized how soaps rarely do this anymore. Charlie and Belle aren't directly involved in the blackmail scheme, but they are reacting to it. They aren't just recapping, but we get the chance to see how they feel about it. Charlie is appauled and Belle certainly has no love loss for the Ames clan.

Then we see the Ames family dealing with the crisis. The Nick / Valerie relationship is interesting as Charlie notes he is a younger man. I wonder how the audience reacted to Nick and Valerie. I wonder where this would have gone. When the dust settled, would Joan have remained in the Ames orbit as an adversary like Belle or was the hope that the audience would accept Nick and Valerie and want them to find happiness together.

Jerry is very brusque in these scenes. This wasn't the man I imagined Jerry to be, but it was interesting to hear the final take on Jerry since he was the first of the siblings to vanish from the canvas. Grace Tyrell was much stronger than I had imagined, but this sort of falls in line with Brent's recounts about the encounters between Pauline and Grace. I assume Pauline had vanished by this point, but I could see how a Pauline / Valerie rivalry could have brewed ala Van / Meg despite the fact Valerie wasn't really Grace's daughter.

Joan seems to be a pot stirrer and I would love to learn more about this libel situation she seems to have concocted with the help of the Petersons. I wonder if someone was helping her like Nick suggested. Could Belle have been her secret benefactor as she was no friend of the Ames'?

'Storm' continues to intrigue me with each segment that finds its way online.