AMC: Tuesday, 4.27.10

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im always trying to hustle for Davetta Sherwood but I think I could like Cassandra if she were in the role. It would be interesting if they built them up as rivals considering Cassandra already had an attitude and didnt like Jessie. I can see her being jealous of Frankie and Angie's relationship with her. But again AMC cant handle more than 1 young black female.

• Members

Wow. DW is usually horrid but i didnt hate him today.

Other than his acting i really liked tues episode. Nothing really happened, but i liked the interactions.

Also, Shannon Kane should be a leading lady in a front burner storyline, but we all knew that before.

• Members

AMC can't even handle that.

Given the LONG Hubbard/Chandler history & Canary's retirement it should've been a no brainer to let THEM fill the void instead of rushing on Courtlandts AMC aren't gonna use.

Darnell, Debbi, Cornelius & Shannon are all awesome with JY & Frankie/Natalia/Randi vs. Scott/Annie/Marissa writes itself.

But again they're Black so they get thrown under the bus for The Gut.

• Members

ITA. I can point to a LOT of things I would like to see AMC do with its black characters/families such as bring back Cassandra; rebuild the Fryes (Tom, Livia, Jamal, Derek, Mimi and Dani), bring Reggie home from basketball camp in Dillon TX, bring back Laura Koffmann as Natalia's mother, add some family for Brot (didn't we meet his mother when Frankie and Taylor went to visit and a recast Randi (paging Daphnee Duplaix).

But this week I got to watch Jesse, Angie and Natalia engage in typical soapy family drama then see Natalia and Brot talk about his term in Iraq. IMO, AMC deserves credit not just for the Hubbards but ESPECIALLY for not treating J.R. Martinez like a disposable P.R. tactic. So many other shows would've dismissed and forgotten about Brot/JRM the moment Beth Ehlers showed her ass but someone at ABCD chose to stick with a young, inexperienced actor who was willing to take risks and open himself up to the criticism of soap onliners and I am SO VERY glad they did.

All this is a long way of saying that even though I want much more for AMC, I can't ignore that it is lightyears better than the whitewashed trainwreck of Llanview, Arizona.

• Members

Yeah, I definitely agree with this. But AMC still doesn't do it's African American characters justice. They are thrown around at random times, IMO. The story's aren't consistent with them. I get excited everytime I see them, but know it isn't for long. There is nothing to savor with them, I just wish there could be.

Marceline, LOVE your post! And you know what, about Brot's mom, OMG she still doesn't know that he is alive! That is so stupid!! And he never even talks about her.....ugh, that always bugs me. Anyways, totally agree with your post and I like your ideas! Yes bring back Reggie, Natalia's mom, and recast the horrible Denise Vasi with DD. In our dreams! :\

• Members

Well, don't worry. DeeeeDeeeeeeee doesn't speak for the entire black viewing audience. One might think so with the 80 "thrown under the bus" posts this person posts, but in actuality -- and their fake "fabulousness" aside -- it isn't true. AMC utilizes the four black actors and two Hispanic actors they have ON CONTRACT regularly. Are they in FIFTEEN out of the 25 scenes per day every day? No. But, then again, how much have they been using Caucasian, blonde Madison since she's been reformed? Where's Scott been? Marissa? Hell, where's Krystal been?

So this whole AMC is using black people as tokens crap is just that. Crap.

• Members

Actually I hear she's on almsot every day but she's VERY easy to ignore and miss

But on a more serious note, IA, the blacks on AMC arent simply tokens. Jesse, Angie and Natalie are used regularly. Frankie, unfortunately is never used. Randi shows up but is almsot irrelevant bc she has no story. I guess 3 out of 5, isnt so bad. MUCH better than all of the other soaps

• Members

Token would be an upgrade compared to what they are on OLTL. OLTL is the capital of "Bait and Switch", meaning bring in some black characters to increase the audience for the white characters. At one time, there was 7 black characters recently, and 1 of them (Rachel) drove a story for 2 weeks. I guess one can call that progress. They bring in a young spunky black female and put her in the Buch's orbit. Kind of cool until we learn that her purpose was to get the audience to notice that Matthew Buch was alive and kicking. And in order to put him with the new center teen, Dani, this black chick is going to have to liven him up. Mission accomplished.

Quite Shameful that Debbie Morgan is the only representation in regards to black characters and good acting. I guess that is progress because Angie could've been the cleaning lady or the nanny to Emma. Guess we have moved on up...

Blech!

ANDREA

• Members

I think someone at OLTL wanted to introduce a new black family and reintroduce Rachel and they were ultimately shut down.

AMC is doing OK, compared to most of the other soaps, but that's not saying too much. I mean, if someone who was East Indian, Asian or Middle Eastern showed up in PV, I might be impressed. Right now they are doing good for 1970. For 2010, not so much.

Archived