OLTL: Couple Out

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice column on this topic. It encapsulates how I feel.

And everyone has favorite characters on the show. There will always be characters who draw certain viewers in. There is nothing wrong with that. Just because the show screws those viewers over is no reason to blame the viewers for liking certain characters.

• Members

True, they are still fans... but a very different type of fan. The shows should be more concerned with the audience as a whole rather than groups of 30 rabid letter-writers pushing for their couple or duo at the expense of the entire show. That's what has gotten these execs in so much trouble over the past 30 years. The super couple phenomena was great in the short term with record successes in the 1980's, but has done far more damage than good in the long run.

• Members

I don't think it is a matter of judging as much as a little common sense and a helpful suggestion. On a show with 20,30,40 people, if you are saying only this one specific character is a reason to watch and therefore the only thing that makes the show good and watchable, you are setting yourself up for a lot of disappointment with the show. It is such a narrow way of looking at a show it is almost impossible to enjoy it and why subject yourself to all that frustration?

I love LOST and Locke is my favorite character, but if I only watched for Locke I would have to skip half the episodes and thereby destroy my understanding the of the greater plot (not that I really know what is going on anyway). Just my opinion, but people for their own sake are better off not focusing on any one element when watching a TV show. But to each their own.

Archived