OLTL: Couple Out

Vee

• Members

From TV Guide:

One Life to Live KO's Kish

by Michael Logan March 10, 2010 04:13 PM EST

This won’t go down well with the LGBT community. One Life to Live stars Brett Claywell and Scott Evans—who play gay couple Kyle and Fish—are being written off the show and will be gone by mid-April.

“We are concluding the story that we set out to tell with Kyle and Fish,” says executive producer Frank Valentini. “We are very proud to have broken new ground with a same-sex couple on daytime.”

Word is, the decision to drop the duo didn’t come easily. Kish has been a big success with the media and the show’s gay fans, and gay-advocacy groups have showered OLTL with awards for creating the trail-blazing couple. But sources at the network say the duo failed to resonate with the mainstream audience. Ratings for the ABC soap were particularly dismal in late 2009 during the weeks that Fish came out of the closet and he and Kyle officially became a couple. Also playing simultaneously was a sprawling plot that had Robin Strasser’s character, Dorian, pretending to be a lesbian in order to win the gay vote in the Llanview mayoral race. A case of gay overkill? Perhaps.

Here are the plans for the Kish wrap-up: Spoiler Alert! On the March 29 episode, Fish will learn for certain what viewers have known for quite a while—he’s the biological father of baby Sierra Rose, via his drunken one-nighter with psychotic stripper Stacy Morasco (Crystal Hunt). With Stacy now dead, there are rumblings of a custody battle with Stacy’s sister Gigi (Farah Fath) but, ultimately, the law is on Fish’s side and the two dads will blissfully start a new life with the baby.

A show rep says the characters will not actually leave Llanview and, because Fish is a cop, he may pop up in a crime-related capacity down the line—but no promises are being made.

I'm of two minds about this, oddly enough. Am I upset that Kish are going? Yes, very much so, and it's typical that ABC would scapegoat them for ratings. But it's different than other stories for me, because this one was told, and told well, and broke major ground and it seems the boys will not be ruined as so many other gay stories on daytime have. Maybe they should go out on top.

This is a massive character and story exodus going down at OLTL right now, though. I assume many of these changes are not Ron Carlivati's idea - Kish was everything to him.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There must be some serious budget cuts going on.

I wouldn't be suprised if Tika Sumpter is the next one to go......

The ratings were down, yet they DON'T blame the stories that were on EVERY-FREAKING-DAY.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not even going to go there. :lol:

• Members

I do think they probably hurt the ratings a little, but you know what, you take that hit sometimes when it's important. OLTL lost affiliates in the South in '68 over the Carla story, but Agnes Nixon kept on going. I think OLTL would have if it was still only up to them, but it's not; Frons and ABC are involved, and we know their track record on gay stories, Reese. And a little dip from Kish is nothing compared to the shitty stories that have been told in other areas on the show.

I'm oddly at peace with this. It does not seem to have been in the show's hands and the story was done right. I am heartbroken they're not staying, but I know from worse.

• Members

This is like a needle through my heart. With ATWT ending in Sept and now Kish gone, there is going to be no gay couples in daytime soon. I freaking love and can't believe they are blaming the ratings on them. Yeah, I'm sure maybe a little bit, but they were hardly ever on. It's not like they took over the show.

• Members

Yeah maybe the show lost some viewers due to Kish, but they were hardly on more than two days a week. I wonder if the reason we hardly see Layla and RJ is because they're black and they don't feel (the largely minority) audience wants to see black characters? It's really just more excuses not to use minorities. We've heard it all before a million different ways.

Kish was a couple that fit in well. They didn't need to dump them this soon. It's not like they get that much screentime. They could easily scale them back to one/two days a week until another story is available for them.

• Members

I am ready to see the headline Terel Tilford OUT at OLTL!

Like seriously, why is he still here? :unsure:

Because he was a Frons idea.

Greg = Frons

Gigi and Rex = Frons

Rachel = old

Sky = needed elsewhere/not Rex

Kevin = old

Kish = gay

Archived