Y&R: Week of March 8 Discussion

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Julia, IMO the redemption of Adam could be easily accomplished. Combine a backstory that explains some of it, have a who-shot-Adam story that causes brain damage (wipes out most memories since he came to Genoa City and turns his personality to the light a little--he has to express REVULSION for what former-Adam did), continue to play (which Muhney is doing well, IMO) the sincerity of Adam's love for Sharon (which is now destined to be thwarted). Then, tell a story about how Adam tries to make amends. If this is played slowly, it could (and has) worked. Potentially using Hope as a talk-to in his dreams and memories could help too. The trick would be to keep an edge to Adam, but dialing back on his conscience-free evil-doing.

Sadly, Adam should never have been turned so fully to the darkside (the payoff isn't worth the character sacrifice), and I doubt Y&R wants to make the long-term investment in telling the story of Adam's slow journey to the light.

• Members

I'm sure, you're right Mark, where there's a will there's a way, but I don't think TPTB have it in them to write the kind of long term story that an Adam redemption would take. Most likely it would be half assed and within a couple of months Ashley and Sharon would be BFF's with him again and he'd be married to Phyllis and playing step daddy to Summer with Nick's approval.

• Members

I don't know how anyone could believe that Adam sincerely loves Sharon when he's letting her believe her baby is dead. He could have gotten away almost scott free if he admitted to the hysterical pregnancy but claimed that it was Dr. Taylor who stole Sharon's baby and he didn't know it was hers until months later as their arrangement was for Dr. Taylor to get a baby from one of his patients who didn't want theirs.

There is just no redemption for this character since he cremated her fetus in the fireplace, cleaned up Ashely's bloody vagina, tucked her into bed, and hasn't shown a bit of remorse for it ever since.

• Members

The story was all over the place. I think they did try to sell us as Adam being genuinely in love with Sharon because they thought that would be more dramatic or because they were hoping they might be able to redeem him. I don't think it worked, because it was so rushed, but some did enjoy it.

As for what he did to Ashley, I was disgusted but I do see a lot of comments like "She was already crazy, she's a psycho, he didn't do anything that bad to her."

I think the show got a sick thrill out of this and then suddenly when they had to hire Muhney they sort of wanted to change it around but weren't sure how. In the end they settled for yet another edition of the old man whoops ass. I still think they may bring Adam back at some point.

Archived