OLTL: Discussion for the week March 1

• Members

I actually do see the Pacino/Cruising thing--actually I think Christian looks good right now--a bit rough but that's more interesting to me, lol.

Gotta disagree about Bree. I like her when she's Jessica, but this is reminding me of her work as the altars--I don't buy it. First of all, Jessica didn't behave like this 13 years ago--not remotely (writing "Mrs Christian Vega" on her notebook??). It's like they wangted to do another Altar story--this time a teeanged altar, realized they'd done that too much too recently so did this... The way she has zero interest in Brodie also strikes me as odd--it'd be one thing to not remember, but... I dunno--you have this dreamy guy who everyone tells you you loved, and whos aved your life, persuing you and you act disgusted everytime he enters the room?

And UGH UGH UGH about Langston and Ford. It's getting beyond creepy--I guess that's the POINT, but...

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Addie has become VERY sporadic comic relief, which is too bad. When was Melinda last on? Was it under the Labines? I admit, I hate having her character killed off (off screen, no less) but I guess she was the "Cramer girl" who is the most expendable to the show, if I look at it realistically.

I haven't liked Langston much in the past 6 months--I think even the acting by her portrayer has gotten worse. But this kinda story just doesn't make sense for a character like her--she's not a teenaged Blair. You raise a good point about being changed by sex, and I don't think someone who has seemed so confident and comfortable with sex, etc, like Langston would fall for Ford's obvious manipulations.

• Members

OMG I completely forgot about that... And yes, of course. But they seem to act that his alcoholism was just him being "mixed up" cuz of the war and all that :rolleyes:. But he did go to at least a few AA meetings didn't he? Of course alcoholism on soaps is usually portrayed with much more simplistically than it is in real life--and that's prob more realistic, but on a soap I'd expect him to stay far away from it until they wanted him to have a plot derived relapse.

• Members

Well it's not like he's a younger leading male actor on DAYS or Passions (particularly when JER was writing them--when suddenly they'd have the oddest reason to take off their shirts) at which point he would have been shirtless FAR more than he already has (OLTL under Valentini has always had more shirtless men than, say, ATWT or AMC anyway), though I get your point.

It's funny to me how much people seem to generally like Adriana now that she's not on much (and is away from Rex)--I remember how ahted she was on forums before...

Yes, Addie needs to be used more--the constant excuses that she's on yet another retreat, or whatever, are wearing thin.

• Members

When was the totem pole cult? :D Was that pre Laura being in the role?

Nono, I know it's pointless to say, but I agree. To me he's kinda odd looking (I think he's just a bit too ripped or something for my tastes) and I just don't get the way the story is "Well Ford is SOOOoOOOOO hot that of course she's drawn to him, even though he's a cliched, obviously manipulative, jerk and she already has a hot boyfriend!"

• Members

Thank you for saying this. I am certainly not against male hotties showing off the results of all their hard work at the gym :) but I despise the character of Ford, mainly because I cannot stand hearing him joke with Christian and Layla about wanting to hook up with teenage girls. I'm not saying he is IncestoMitch but, as you point out, he is a manipulative jerk who just wants a quick lay and has somehow worked out that 18-year old freshmen are ripe for the picking.

The sex scene between Langston and Ford was well-staged from a production POV, but it makes her look bad, especially as she just spent the first half of the show reaming him for having manipulated a previous situation to take advantage of her.

Good episode yesterday, on the whole. I actually liked TeenMessica and Cristian even if the SL is hokey. I liked the way Cristian explained their history, and I thought TeenMessica did have moments of clarity when she accepted that she shouldn't be mooning after him after all these years but that she couldn't help it. I hope Layla clues in to what is going on, though. I want to see Layla get (rightfully) territorial!

The Cramer ladies = awesome, but GT took a few minutes to "get" Kelly's grief about Melinda, I thought. It's like she didn't know quite how to play the beats.

• Members

There were times when I couldn't tell the difference just by a first glance.

He's plastic. I think Langston would be attracted to him initially but I don't believe she would obssess over him. Langston was always unique and presented as a bit of a freak. Someone who was different than most teens.

• Members

This is such a nitpick--and I know they need to do some of this in soaps--but considering Mitch is responsible for several murders and is a known *cult leader* would they seriously allow *anyone* to go and have private discussions with him?

Yeah, I definitely agree Leia--the story wouldn't upset me as much if this wasn't Langston we're talking about--who for years now we've been told acts differently, is very mature for her age, she even had a stupid song about being the freak :P

Cat--love your avatar :wub:

• Members

She made a brief appearance in 2004, when Kelly went to see her around the time of the baby switch. Her last stint that was a bit longer was a few weeks or a month or two in 1997, with the Labines.

The writing for Addie is very frustrating because she rarely appears and when she does she's either written as comic relief or just as an extra, or giving Dorian a lecture, or being a babysitter. The longer this goes on the more I wonder if they may just end up sending her offcamera for good.

• Members

I meant to ask this yesterday, but did anyone else think it looked like Kelly was about to slap Blair when Blair came over to offer words of comfort? Her mouth was getting all tight like she was about to haul off.

Archived