OLTL: How would you fix Todd Manning

• Members

I used to really think Todd was a great catch. He was really super hot with Evangeline. He has great chemistry with Tea and Blair but he's become a big douche bag of a character these days. Trevor is still quite charming and easy on the eyes but his performances over the last year has been less than impressive. It's so bad that I often wish he would just leave the show. How would you all fix him?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he needs someone to fight. A rival who is more his equal. In recent years, its been heavily lopsided against like when they brought Spencer and Margeret into the mix bc they made him out to be the victim. After that they just made him an SOB going after the kids and Marty and he came across ugly. Todd needs to be someone you love to hate, not plain hate or plain love. He should be more of a grey character but these days he's too extreme in either direction. I think giving him someone to work against who is likeable would do wonders for him. John McBain failed in that. Isnt

returning? Maybe he can fill that role.

• Members

What I am torn about is what makes him so unwatchable now? He didn't start off as the town nice guy. Can't place my finger on why I'm at the end of my rope but I thought for sure others could figure out what to do to make him watchable again.

• Members

Todd was always a 'work in progress'. Even when he was his most obnoxious in the past, he still had a sense of guilt and shame that made him seem like far less of a monster. For quite some time he was unable to make love with Blair no matter how much he wanted her because of his sense of self-loathing, related to his role in the rape of Marty Saybrooke. He was incredibly self-punishing. The writers always bared just enough of Todd's soul to give you hope that he really could become a better man.

After Evangeline's death, the writers removed all vulnerability from the character. Someone seemed to decide that Todd needed to be hyper-masculine. He should never apologize for anything. He would be the old, ruthless Todd, minus the search for redemption.

The writers can try to restore his vulnerable side as a way of beginning to salvage him, but I don't know if too much time has passed. His treatment of both Blair and Tea is abominable. I'm far too disgusted with Tea's gratitude toward Todd - because he forgave her and allowed her back into his life. She was willing to risk going to prison for him. He treated her like garbage as a result. Letting the women in his life have their dignity back would make him less odious, too.

Archived