OLTL: How would you fix Todd Manning

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was once amused by TSJ. It seemed his antics were limited to the scenes with Blair. I like Blair but I was rooting for Todd to get with Evangeline. And then I noticed that his antics included his scenes with almost everyone. So now I know that's only where it all started. TSJ has checked out of everything.

You are so much more creative but my solution is simply to go back to the Walker Laurence days and reveal that this Todd is a Mitch disciple planted by Mitch who used some serum to make him think he was the real Todd. Since Mitch knows all they could write it so that Mitch programmed his Todd with images and memories that helped him with his cover. And then I'd start a mystery story that would effect everyone...the real Todd is still out there.

• Members

A popular idea but I think it would invalidate too many years of story.

The women Todd's with are not the problem with Todd. Not any one of them. Marty didn't make Todd re-rape her, Blair didn't make Todd tell her her baby was dead, Tea didn't make Todd agree to not answer for his crimes (she didn't make him hit her, either, or engage with her in their sadomasochism, or fake DID to trick her into remarrying him), and Evangeline didn't make Todd boring. In the case of all Todd's crimes it was a combination of the writing and, on the screen, Todd making horrible choices - which in most cases he would then blame on the women.

• Members

I don't blame the women anymore. I've learned. It might invalidate years of story on paper but I think it could play out as a logical way to explain why he's so screwed up today. It will wipe the slate clean of all of the rapes he's had in the last decade starting with the mistaken rape with Blair's tumor. It could fix the Margaret and Todd's rape story. We could also say bye bye to Marty's re-rape.

• Members

Honestly I don't believe that Todd can be fixed and it has nothing to do with the actor. I loved TSJ before he checked out and I loved RH before his third stint. I feel that the character of Todd is like a paper clip that has been bent so many times and in so many directions that it's broken. Todd's been a monster, hero, antihero, wounded little boy, white knight, master of the universe, etc... to the point where everybody has their version of Real Todd AND a whole portfolio of grievances against Fake Todd. The character no longer has any core.

• Members
I did and I hope Khan doesn't mind. I copied it below.

I loved reading this.

But that could also be written into the search for Real Todd. Everyone could come to the realization that they don't really know Todd and we can have the characters telling us who they think Todd is.

• Members

How would I fix Todd Manning? Honestly? I don't think I can. I don't think anyone can. Todd has to lose everything - and I mean everything - then learn some serious lessons as he moves toward redemption. Frankly, there isn't enough time or patience (on the part of viewers) to accomplish this.

• Members

Although I know it won't happen, it looks like that's what's been happening this week with Tea, Blair and the kids all moving out at once, it'd be a perfect opportunity for some great self-destructive tendencies to come out and an opportunity to rebuild but....they'll never do it.

Archived