ATWT: February 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

After today's show, I won't even bother trying to defend the story on any level any longer. If TIIC really wanted to prove to me they don't GAS, having Mick actually turn his head as he "changes" between Mick and James (and TP sounds like he's got marbles in his mouth) did it.

As usual, TIIC had a compelling premise, and flushed it down the drain. Why James needed YET ANOTHER "son" in his life to "punish" the one son he hates most boggles my mind.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn, I didnt tape, how I would love to see Pelphery try to pull that out..did his head actually spin around ala Regan McNeil???? Does he really think he is James??? Can't he look in the mirror and see that there is no way he could be James as he isnt remotely Anthony Herrar 1979 hot???

What I love most about this is that TP's fans will be on the boards screaming about him "Hitting it out of the ballpark once again!!! Tom is on FIRE!!!" LOL..once the show ends I will really miss crazed actor fans.

• Members

While Paul extolling the virtues of Ali and Casey was sorta odd, I guess I didn't mind it because I took it as more he was looking out for Emily's sister than actually pimping Ali/Casey if that makes any sense.

In that respect, it worked for me.

Oh and I continue to love my Paul and Em, even if the story is utter ridiculousness lol.

• Members

Y'know Kelly, when Mick was going into his long-winded explanation, I thought...geez...ten years ago, this would have been a six month arc encompassing the entire town. James has scores with everyone in town to "settle". I'm grateful it gave CZP something to do, but other than that, I don't see any relevance, which is sad.

No, Mitch. TP's head didn't spin around...he literally stood in a door frame, looked straight ahead as he talked as Mick, then turned his head to the right to talk as "James". Mick knows he's not James, but James brainwashed him and "takes over" at times. Which I really don't get. Mick didn't exactly mind it, because James led him to believe Paul and Babs didn't appreciate him. But seeing Ali makes him want to be himself, or some BS.

• Members

Love the Kunta Kinte picture even though some people might sorta be insulted.

DK has such a hardon for TP: has to turn Mick into some troubled youth for pity points just to redeem the character for later use. On the surface, I like the idea of James using some poor and lost kid but the reveal here is just so botched. What bugs me is that there have been some very good scenes through out this storyline and that they ave been overlooked while people pick apart the outlandishness of the plot: Allison and Mick up in the bell tower; Barbara's 'confession' to Henry (which was sweet); Emily talking Paul down and taking the gun (Pem is on fire); TP's mock-Shakespearean convo between him and his, for lack of a better word, inner-James (I like outward demonstrations of inner-conflict and the scene had a Twin Peaks feel).

Broken apart, there has been some good stuff here but Mitch is right when he says this should have been a six month umbrella story dealing with all of James' 'scores' and topped off with a return by the REAL James. A reveal of James still being alive would have made Mick the uber-pawn in James' chess game and firmly put Mick in the Paul, Emily, Barbara victim pack. This would have given Mick a chance to see that he really isn't James' 'son'. Not using Allison and Cacey might have helped, too, except the show is a little short on younger cast. I just find them to be both weak actors.

I agree with you, Mitch, when you said that TPTB were in some sort of panic mode and felt the need to do something radical. I also agree that TPTB should have been replaced long ago. While I don't totally hate this story, it is filled with mile wide gaps and holes. It seems like the writers are able to put together good stand alone scenes but unable to weave them together into a solid story. While I don't hate what I'm seeing (it is better than Sonny on GH or Sandy+Hope+rape on B&B,) much more was needed to pull World Turns out of the soap gutter.

• Members

Sigh...I want to find something about the denouement of the Mick story to like.

I guess I did like the episode aside from the actual "hostage" stuff. I thought Babs and Henry were cute. It's always a pleasure to see Bob, Kim, Susan and Lisa---and in the same episode.

I thought Emily looked nice today.

The actual "crisis" seemed silly. Other than being startled when Paul was shot, it was a twisted snooze.

• Members

I just caught up for last week and it was painful getting through those scenes with Dante.

Today's feel so far at the church has the Lily and Holden wedding vibe. The Heather Rattray and Jon Hensley wedding of course......lol. Too bad I don't enjoy remotes on ATWT like I use to back in the 80's and 90's. It's great seeing Bob, Kim, Tom, Margo and Barbara in one whole episode. Hell even Emily is on but where is Lisa?????? She is the grandmother....of course I am not done seeing all the eppy.

• Members

Going back to Friday's episode, I'm shocked no one pointed out the beautiful irony of Paul making Barbara choose between him and "James"...yet again. It seems like that's a battle that's been raging on within both of their hearts for far too long....decades, actually. I just thought the simple fact that he shoved her against the door, and made her choose, was brilliant and classic.

Also, Friday's episode was a great reel for KMH. She had some very meaningful, very intense lines, that I thought she delivered wonderfully. When Emily stood up to Paul and asked for the gun, the dialogue was superb!! And Kelly blew me away!!!!!! But the second he gave her the gun, I could hear (very faintly) the grunts and moans we witnessed back when Emily shoved Paul off a cliff, and the mediocre delivery returned.

As for the Mick/James transition: that was just odd. Creepy. Retarded. All of the above. I felt like I was watching a campy sci-fi movie.

Today's show was good, like PJ said, minus the whole "hostage crisis". Big events like weddings have always been a favorite of mine; I love watching everyone get dressed to impress. I love watching the vets pour in. I love the character interaction we wouldn't normally get--it's refreshing (i.e. Katie mentioning she was looking for Susan towards the end of the episode).

Daaaammmmn, CZP was lookin' goooooooodd today!!!!!!!! How does she do it?!! After all these years, she's still got it!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if anyone's noticed, but I think Pelphrey might be going through the beginning stages of Parkinson's or something. He sure does tremble and shake a lot....

• Members

I actually liked the whole hostage thing.

Was it incredibly cheesetastic? Yes.

But I liked having everyone in the same room, I liked the effort in, at least dialogue wise, having Mick/James know everyone.

I knew Paul was going to get shot but I didn't see it coming, I thought it was a good choice to have Mick finish the reading while walking down the aisle.

I just don't buy that Ali is this great redeemer of men and can 'fix' Mick lol.

• Members

I actually watched in real time and I have to say, I thought it was a very good episode and not any more chessetastic (love the word) then most "soap gatherings everyone is in peril" things. What a great day to see the vets all together and acting, uh normal. Lisa is still oddly marginalized...she appears at her grandsons wedding all by herself..then the minister has to take her home...though I loved ("I need a good stiff drink" and the ministers' "Amen," but when she first started I though Lisa was back to form and askign for a good stiff ****) I really liked and appreciated that there were odd "Marlandesque," touches, ..i.e. the explanation of why Nancy wasnt there, Margo making sure Lisa got home, Katie looking for Susan. I loved the Bob/Kim and Dr. Reid scene...loved Kim giving Reid the what for and Bob being more relaxed about it...someone had mentioned that Reid should be John Dixon's kid and I totally agree. I did like that Dante referred to eveyone as if he was James and did know them...(Lisa dear, put the phone away.)And I can like the Dante story better now that he is just a nut job programmed by James (no brain chips please!!) Didnt think I would like Henry and Babs (I still think Henry is a flaming queen who is worshipping a diva) but found them oddly endearing, and I liked that they had Henry go and tell Babs that she was a knock out (and CZP IS a knockout, did the vets made a mass pact with Satan??)to make up for the fact that they would have Babs chasing a fountain of youth. And wonders of wonders, no Snyders in sight.

Some odd things though, the crisis didnt seem as much of a crisis as everyone went their seperate ways (and Lisa had a toss off line, "I am sure Casey will be fine," uh, Lisa that's your grandkid..) in the old days everyone would gather in Bob and Kim's living room to monitor events, and they could have used the hospital that way (at least have Lisa say she was going to get to Nancy before the news did.) The location shots are SO much better then GL's pitiful attempts...they still keep the same soap music and they still have some sets (weird to say, but I am glad they cancelled the show when they did, then make her limp to her grave like GL had to.) It was also weird that there were no more people at the wedding (budget I know) and that people werent like "Who the [!@#$%^&*] is this guy and why does he think he knows me?"..shows what happens when you rush storylines, Dante should have had scenes with everyone before, Bob/Kim/Lisa, Lucinda etc, and everyone having an odd feeling about him.

I dont think Ali is supposed to be Dante's savior, I THINK (and this is Davey writing so who knows) that she feels a "connection," because of his dark side and his confusion about his identity, much like she has. It was touched on but I agree,not enough to make it clear. Pelphery was stuttering I think to show his "angst." not anything more serious (I hope not.) He used to do that on GL (and why I think he needs to branch out of soaps to get rid of some of his ticks.)

There were a few weird thing

• Members

Mitch is on point about there being some Marland-like elements in yesterday episode. In many ways, it was good and I enjoyed the Snyder family being MIA. Lisa was great with her drink comment and I loved the Henry/Babs interplay. Back in the day, everyone would have been back at Bob and Kim's house but I'm guessing money issues now prevent that.

I can buy into the idea of a younger Mick being programed by James and this is so much better than any brain chip spoiler. It also helps to explain why Mick was able to 'brainwash' Emily as he did. This should have been a four month story and, in the process, Mick could have had interactions with other old foes.

Overall, none of this has been all that bad and the show feels more like old school World Turns than it has in a long time. I loved the Shakespeare quote and the way TP finished the final lines. DK is no Marland but, at the same time, the show isn't all that bad these days.

Archived