ATWT: February 2010 Discussion Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well Ruxton, I just watched the Nuke scenes for the 15th time and cried each time at how beautiful they were. NOT! PLEASE let them stay apart for good.

Loved Lucinda as always. Love her and Molly trading barbs. I don't understand why Katie invited this complete stranger to move in with her. I do like Dr. Oliver though. He cracks me up.

• Members

I floved today's eppy, especially the use of 'flashbacks' regarding Holden and Damain. This is the second time recently that World Turns has used this method to tell story and it works. I only hope that they reveal more of the fight and that the flashback is eventually aired in full. Soaps do not do 'fight' scenes all that well and this was a great means to get around that problem. Who decides this sort of thing? DK, Goutman, the Director? I don't want to see this sort of thing overused; however, if done correctly, the Holden/Damain smack down could strech on for days.

During the verbal fight between Holden and Damain, I could not help but notice that Damain is the better actor. I felt like JH was just sleep walking through the scene like a cuckolded beta man. (For those of you who do not know the meaning of cuckold, check it out, and you will see what I mean when I say Holden would probably love watching the Lily&Damain sex tape!) JH was good last summer when doing his scenes during the escape from hillbilly Eb, so his bad presentation confuses me.

Lucinda was classic today, in rare form when dealing with Molly. I will say it is pretty pathetic for everyone to expect Holden to just take Lilly back. Upon finding out that Holden was alive, she should have dumped Damian APAP. I am just waiting for Lilly to be pregnant. Pathetic Holden will raise another little Damain.

I am shocked by the speed at which Katie moved Dr. Oliver in. This is another example of reverse storytelling. We never saw Katie actually invite Dr. Oliver. He just showed up and we learned of the news backwards. It would have been more clever if we were a bit more familiar with Reade. I'm guessing she already knows that he is gay, if he is gay. The actor is great, he writing a lttle bit over the top, but overall, Dr. Oliver is a good addition to Oakdale.

Today's show was stellar and the strongest program on CBS daytime: so much better than that hopeless B&B and Y&R starring dead Henry. B&B is sinking fast. It is too bad CBS can't move World Turns into the 1:30 EST slot and watch the rating rise. I'm convinced soaps will rebound and that axing World Turns was a big mistake. If nothing else, the economy will get worse: more women will be at home unable to pay cable bills. Watch OLTL become the number one ABC soap come September. I'll put money on the show hitting a 2.4 households by December 2010.

• Members

Another really good World Turns episode . Again, today, the show seemed to have a rather unique style with both Carly and Holden having Photo-Shopped flashbacks. I also thought it was interesting the way they had Lucinda go to Dusty for help and then, a few scenes later, meet with the P.I.. Af first, I thought it was an effort to be 'prime time' but it wasn't a typical prime time jump nor do I think it was a lazy mistake. I feel like someone is trying to edit, streamline the show down to only 'important' scenes.

It would be cool if they told the story of the Holden/Damian fight through Molly's search and that little kid Arthur. They never did this sort of stuff on GL and Goutman has never done it before so I'm guessing Josh Griffin is in control. Nothing is really rushed here and that is a good thing for the show.

• Members

So basically, you think it's "pathetic" of Holden to raise another man's baby? That's a bit close-minded, don't ya think? I admit, Holden does act like a doormat for Lily at times, but he's always been there for Luke. Even when Lily had trouble accepting her son's sexuality, Holden was the one that supported his decision to come out. Holden has raised Luke as his own, in every sense of the word. In real life, men raise their significant other's children from previous relationships quite frequently. And they treat the child as if it were their own. I don't consider that to be "pathetic".

As for the flashbacks, those have been happening like that for a while now. Nothing new.

ATWT has been editing out (or purposely not writing) scenes for a while, too. Instead of showing characters reveal news, other characters' reactions to the news, etc., they have been edited out. That's been a major gripe of viewers (and posters here) for a while.

ITA with the Reid housing invite being random. "Hi there, complete stranger. I'm Katie. You're a doctor? Oh, I see. And what's that? You're new to town and have no place to stay? Oh!....well in that case...do you want to be my new roommate?" It's all very forced, very random, and very unbelievable. If Katie wants to invite a complete stranger into her home just because he's "good with kids", then she's a bigger idiot than we give her credit for.

Lucinda has been ON FIRE the past two episodes!! Her scenes with Molly were great; and her scenes with Dusty today were hysterical..."You're old enough to be her father!" Elizabeth Hubbard is a valuable asset that ATWT is foolish for not featuring more often. (And please, no more cockamaymee stories about business partners that turn gay and hit on your grandson...)

Today's script had some funny dilagoue for once. I actually found myself laughing out loud at times. Liberty had a good one about "talking behind the sick girl's back" and Molly had a great one about how much she (sarcastically) loves giving Lily messages.

And what's with the random unsupervised child sitting in the freezing cold on a boat dock?! :huh: That was........again.....random.

• Members

It would be totally 'pathetic' for Holden to raise Damian's SECOND child, especially given the fact that Lilly totally rejected Holden after finding him to be alive. Instead of being glad and returning to her real husband, Lilly decided to play house with a man other than her'soul mate'. She didn't even seem to feel all that bad about his ordeal with Eb. Lilly did not comfort Holden, she was busy screwing Damian and, thus, it would be uber-pathetic for him to raise the kid.

In general, I think it is great for a guy to step up and raise a child regardless of bio; however, in this case, it would be yet another example of Holden as door mat. Raising Damian's first son, Luke, was nice but raising Damian's second child would just be to much for any partner to experience. With Martha gone, I'd rather see Holden with another woman anyway and Molly would be a great choice.

• Members

Does anyone remember the Cubs game CarJack was talking about today, or was that some "offscreen outing" that we never got to see? The way they talked about it, made me think we might've seen it at some point back in the day.

Today's dialogue was insanely choppy. One minute, it was superb. The next, it sounded like something an 8th grader would say.

I thought there was a lot of unnecessary crying today. Usually, there's a build-up to the crying....a believability. The sitiuation, the dialogue, the characters' emotions, etc. --- but today it just seemed odd and out of place. It made me go, "What are they crying for??!!" Specifically speaking, Carly's crying spell when she wished that she didn't love Jack so much, and then Emily's crying spell when Paul left to go confront Mick. Those came out of nowhere, IMO.

I also thought Barbara's "I CAN'T TELL YOU!" line (to Paul, about Mick, at the penthouse) was extremely melodramatic. CZP usually hits scenes out of the park and can make 8th grade dialogue seem like it came from a Pulitzer prize-winning novel, but that ONE line today.....that was a little over-the-top.

• Members

Ahh, the duo from hell Wheeler and Kreizman, together again..call Father Merrin!!!

If the episode had those damn..supposedly trending "fast cuts," where you will see a character in one place and the very next scene they are someplace else or things happen off camera...that is the work of the duo themselves.

Though I have to say, Wheeler isnt a bad director....I just can't beleive she is off suicide watch yet...the chick is a nutball!!

• Members

Man ATWT is on some serious fire lately.

Spoiler free really is the way to go, because this Mick Dante storyline has me glued and in the dark, although a bit confused. I have no idea what is going to happen one day to the next, which is perhaps why this guy continues to creep me out. He's certainly got some cool gadgets, hypnotizing flashlights and now contact lens that seemingly do the same thing.

So basically, Emily needs to "GET the BALL rolling!", Alison is trying to control her impulses around Mick's ummm uber sexiness (??), cut to Mick immersing his face in her scarf--which is not even half as crazy as watching her sleep through a window. I mean, I feel like I am in the twilight zone. Its rather satisfying though.

I didn't like any type of Carjack situation until now, because the two of them make these intense feelings they have seem so real. Its really a shame because I love me some Janet, though I've found that I would much rather have her turned down a few notches (as she has been really intense and insecure lately, and she only seems to just get progressively less likable) than see Carly getting her heart ripped out every other day.

Either way it goes, I still don't like Jack at all and think Carly deserves better. He's been a crappy husband, and now a crappy adulterer--I've never seen someone who can turn their feelings on and off, up and down, round and round, tossing out promises to everybody he can't keep. You can't have it both ways, Jack. I agree with Margo get your personal drama together boo boo, before you start talking about fighting crime.

"We need to GET the BALL rolling!" I'm gonna say that all day at work tomorrow.

Archived