GH: February 2010 Discussion Thread

• Members

+1.

And I agree. I really hated when they sent Robin in there to do that. I mean, I respect that she has good memories of SOnny and that he was good to her, but she shouldnt have tried to influence him like that because Sonny is NOT a good guy...I did, however, feel bad for hwe when everyone, including that worthless whore Lisa, were yelling at her in the hospital....So unprofessional.

The Alexis as co counsel would normally bug the [!@#$%^&*] out of me, but because i LOVE her and Diane in scenes together, I am willing to put that aside this ONCE.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Lisa is serving her purpose surprisingly well. She's coming across as a phony manipulative asskisser. Even when she says what I'm thinking, I still hate her because she's insincere. She doesn't care that Robin is standing up for a man who shot a cop, she just wants to manipulate Patrick's feelings on the matter. I'm guessing Robin and Patrick will survive this interloper just the way they did Layla, which is too bad. Even though I'm not exactly a Robin fan, I think she deserves better. I like Steven so much more than Patrick, but I have this feeling he's going to end up like Matt before long, wasting away unseen, when he could easily be put to good use.

• Members

I think you're right, I think the writers are trying to make her a fake ass kisser. But there is something about the actress, maybe it's just her voice, but I liked Julie Mond (the first actress) much better, I dont really know why.

And I agree, I find it so annoying that Lisa doesnt really give a [!@#$%^&*] about Dante being shot, but she is only using this "high and mighty" attitude, just to get on Patrick's good side. SHe really just can't be pereceived as a good person.

• Members

Ann_SS this is not new for Robin, in my book. This is the Robin I use to despise. She was horrified that Jason helped Carly lie to AJ. Of course Jason was a good man being taken advantage of by a soulless vixen....though you'd think she'd have worried more about Sonny taking advantage ofJason than Carly. She only dared tell AJ the truth when Carly wouldn't let go of Jason and informed her that she (Carly) would always be withJason thanks to their shared connection to Michael.

i'd love Robin with any man who keeps her mob boy free. I prefer Patrick because at least the writers are honest about who he is. Rrobin usually gets to give back as good as she gets - at least until Lisa came along.

• Members

I was reading through the most recent SOD (for me anyway) and laughed when they were trying to praise the whole Sonny shot Dante/Dante's your son reveal. I mean I know some of it was good soap so it's not shocking to praise that but some of their comments were hilarious, my favorite being praising Maurice Benard because his "lip was quivering" and his "voice was breaking." Doesn't that describe every other Sonny scene?

And then Carolyn Hinsey tells us that the Nik/Liz affair that people were "outraged" over was worth it because Liz was comforted by Jason, Luke is "all over the story" and Lucky is back on the bottle. All this was a shell game to hide the real purpose of this crap (dreary WTD, turning rape into romance, completely destroying Liz to try to rebuild the golden boy) yet I had to wonder how much this story was working even for her if those were the highlights for her. Liz and Jason only interacted briefly, Luke has not been anywhere near enough of a player in this story considering how actively Tony Geary helped sabotage any relationship between Lucky/Luke until his favorite son returned, and Lucky on the bottle was basically just a brief excuse for more JJ ACTING until he went back to the weeping and the Jason propping.

I think this return has been a flop because they seem to have zero idea why anyone ever liked JJ's Lucky in the first place.

There was also a bizarre comment about how there had better be condoms in the supply closet because fans don't want an HIV story for Patrick. Yes, I'm sure fans are expecting an HIV story for Patrick, given that, aside from one or two brief moments here and there, GH tries to forget about or downplay Robin's HIV as much as they can. If we're going to criticize a show for lack of condom mention I'd rather criticize the awful Niz hookups, or Y&R, where Billy goes around never, ever putting on a rubber and the show apparently sees this as hot stuff.

• Members

ITA re: Lisa though I am not sure she is manipulating him as much as she is smartly playing to Patrick's ego. His need to always be fawned over and agreed with. He has never been able to stand Robin disagreeing with him or confronting him on his behavior.

I hope that you are wrong about this, but suspect you are on target. Guza is determined to keep all the current couples together or in each other's orbits. He likes to write infidelity, but won't break up the couple e.g. Jax and Carly and Maxie and Spinelli. Scott Reeves does have the advantage of being Steven Burton's best friend which means that he has an important ally to help him get airtime. Steven and Robin are good together. I liked their conversation on Friday. He disagreed with Robin without dismissing her or treating her like a child. Steven provides a real opportunity for Robin to have a new romance. It is probably too much to expect.

• Members

I agree. When Patrick disagrees with something Robin does/says he just dismisses her, and acts like there is no way what she is saying is relevant, treats her like a child, and assumes he is right without even knowing the whole story.

Steven, even though he disagreed with her, did it in a very nice way, without embarrassing her, and he actually TOOK the time to find out her side of the story, and you could sense his sympathy/understanding.

I think GH is using Steven to be everything that a man needs to befor Robin, that they completely butchered in Patrick.

• Members

Finally watched Friday's show. I really do understand Robin and her protectiveness over Sonny. The way she explained it to Steven on Friday's epi made it more clear, and it makes more sense to me. Sonny took care of her during one of her lowest points in life, and she feels that she is repaying him by defending him all of the time and this time telling Dante not to testify against Sonny's favor. It makes sense to me.(but don't get me wrong, I WANT Sonny to pay for what he did, but I understand where Robin is coming from) WTH, Lisa needs to stay out of it! STHU, and go back to the shadows where you sit and watch, your not apart of this, ugh! And i kind of think Steven and Robin look hot together B) I like them as really good friends, but wouldn't mind them being something more. Patrick is a pure scrubs douche, he and Lisa can leave PC together for all I care.

I love Diane\Alexis working together, and Claire the prosecutor. When Sonny said "Goodbye son" to Dante, I felt really bad for him. But it went away once he sat down.

• Members

I think that Sonny's love for stone was amazing and reflective of who Sonny was then...not who he is now. Do the writers want us to believe that Sonny took better care of Robin than did Mac? Robin's relationship with Sonny is stronger than her relationship with her uncle? The writers can choke on that before asking me to swallow it. Between the work she's done saving lives and the man her uncle has become, if Robin can't see that THIS sonny is not the man she once knew and loved she's hopelessly lost. That's a problem for the writers who chose to DEvolve Sonny to play up the crazy angry mobster angle ratther than allow the character to evolve. His cheering section (Robin, Jason,carly,etc) just look blankin' demented in my book.

• Members

But Patrick does know the whole story. Sonny shot Dante in cold blood, End Of Story. There is nothing else relevant. Robin sounds like she is insane. "There were extenuating circumstances". What were the extenuating circumstances? And then Lisa is 100% correct in saying "what is it with you and gangsters?" or whatever her exact words were when reminding Robin it was just a few weeks ago she was pulling the same nonsense defending a guy who was waving a gun at a patient threatening to kill him. Robin's response that they are her friends allowed Lisa to cut right to it and say "so what?" How do these thugs being her friends in any way make Robin even 1% right? Lisa is the voice of reason, which is odd. Patrick is completely right in dismissing all of Robin's nonsense justifications; she makes no sense at all.

• Members

Yes, but so does almost everyone else right now. Carly, Sam, Olivia, Alexis, Michael, Jason, they all pretty much sound like sociopaths or clueless whack jobs these days. I know most of these people have always been mob apologists, but there is something about this recent situation that makes it so much worse than it's ever been. The writers have completely warped the characters as far as I can see. If shooting a cop is ok, what's next? Is Sonny going to start gunning down his rivals children while Robin and Carly tell us it's ok because he loves his own? Expecting people to view General Hospital with the same moral lens they do shows like the Sopranos is so unrealistic, but still, Guza pushes on with this crap.

• Members

I think it is just more glaring when it is Robin who says these things. Yes, she has always been a Sonny worshiper, but there is a history there from before wrong became right that when you see a pre-Sonny character spout these things--especially little Robin the child of super cops---it just all sounds especially wrong. She existed before Sonny and therefore should know better. Carly, Alexis, Olivia and Sam? Well they are all pathetic and always have been and always will be. Each one of these characters raced to get pregnant by him, defend him at every turn, and in Alexis' case being the only one who could be bothered to finish Junior High, she uses her education to help him perpetuate his crimes.

I don't think the Sopranos really ever tried to portray the crooks as the good guys though. They were the stars but they were never discussed in such glowing terms. I loved the Soprano sister, Janice, btw.

• Members

That probably peeves me most... Lisa IS right. She didn't grow up in mobland. It appears that she comes from a place where mobsters are <gasp> bad people... so of course, she's a crazy scheming bitch She's pure evil in the writers' eyes. How dare she not want gun-toting mobsters firing bullets in the hospital she works in, endangering the patients she's worked hard to save? How dare she not be in awe of Jason's black leather or Sonny's slicked back hair? how dare she look at them and not want to carry their babies!

The difference for me is that with the Sopranos, there was no pretense that Tony was a good man who was simply misunderstood. He was never presented as a hero, although occasionally as an anti-hero, but not for long. He was an awful man doing business with and killing other awful men. He sometimes killed innocent people, and his time was sure to come. OTOH, we're to believe that Sonny is a wonderful and heroic man who can't free himself from the awful mob.

If Sonny kills his rival's children, the 'glee' club will only cheer him on and claim those children needed killing. Carly and Jason will do the 'it was Sonny's children or theirs' dance and once again proclaim Sonny the great protector.

ETA: Even Carmella was conflicted and sickened by her inability to call Tony out for what he really was. She hated herself, at times, for excusing Tony's lifestyle and pretending it wasn't happening and when the guilt became too much, she fell right back in line and went back into denial. None of Sonny's apologists shows any conflict, which is sickening in itself. They show none of the complex layers of the mob wives/friends of the Sopranos. Port Chuckles citizens seem to be convinced that the sun wouldn't rise if Sonny wasn't in the world. He is the giver of life (literally in that town) and the reason for their happiness.

Archived