Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week February 1

• Members

I loooooooong for the old Phyllis--who would have kept that information to herself. Alas, the current Phyllis has integrity...she'll probably tell Nick right away.

Actually, the good part of that is that Phyllis will do it out of a loving and healing motive...she wants to free Nick from pain.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just wonder. I had this debate with myself last night. Like you, I suspect Phyllis might tell the truth...but this is a golden opportunity to let real Phyllis out of her cage. I really think they might go there this time. It gives Nick the perfect opportunity to leave Phyllis with no guilt and without looking like an even bigger pig. Right now if he leaves there really isn't a lot of justification and Nick has waffled so much, he really needs Phyllis to wrong him or he's going to look like such an ass again. Plus Phyllis has a lot of motive to lie right now. I'm sure in her mind Summer really needs her father right now and she isn't going to take losing to Sharon again lying down (I hope).

• Members

The show went to great lengths to tell us how mentally ill Sharon was, that this damage had made her a klepto, and so on. They have never done that with Nick. During this time they told us how wonderful Nick was and had Jack preach his virtues. So a fully sane and rational Nick decided to use broken Sharon for sex, over and over.

• Members

I don't care what the show SAYS :lol:. Nick's whole current existence, including his marriage to Phyllis, is premised on unprocessed grief from Cassie, and how he transformed it. Phyllis took him (mentally and physically) away from his pain. She was his avoidance tool...and a hot one. As time went on, because Phyllis is doing all the work, Nick has stayed with the relationship. Phyllis challenges him physically--and sometimes morally and definitely intellectually. She makes him admit the truth, even when he would not. This is all Phyllis. Nick just sort of stands there.

If Nick could ever switch out of avoidance mode, he'd realize he's still as damaged as Sharon.

Moreover, it was not "using for sex" over and over. That is a total misrepresentation. He was LEAVING HIS WIFE for Sharon. He admitted that he still loved Sharon. (That vacillation, alone, confirms Nick's own mental health issues). It was not sex, and you know it. It was lovemaking, and yes there is a difference.

I'll admit the show was more heavy handed in shining a light on Sharon's mental health issues, but Nick's are also there, in plain view. Just the way he again cowers in the face of his daddy shows how much growing he still has to do.

• Members

Mark, it's time to seek treatment for whatever it is you're on. LOL!

The LAST thing this show needs is a story like that.

Maybe if this INCOMPETENT WRITING TEAM knew how to build story, pace story, the day to day writing wasn't so bad, sloppy, and inconsistent, and other core elements of proper soap storytelling were respected, most of us wouldn't be scratching our heads as to what the hell is going on with this show.

I also have to laugh at whenever Hamner gives interviews spewing crap about how most of us wouldn't be able to suspect what's going to happen and just how unpredictable everything is going to be, when more than likely, most of us guess correctly what's going to happen the day a story begins.

• Members

The first time he had sex with Sharon, up at the cabin, didn't he quickly go back to Phyllis? I don't remember any plans to leave his wife for her. I thought that was a very pathetic moment on both their parts.

Then after this Sharon began to have a severe mental breakdown, she was arrested for stealing, she was a mess. Wasn't this in the timeframe when Nick had sex with her again, several times? And at this time he was still with Phyllis, because this was at the same time as Sharon was screwing Billy and Jack.

Only after repeatedly using Sharon for sex (which I do not consider "making love" when you care nothing about the well being of the person you're with and then you run back home) did they get back together, because the show decided to tell us that all this adultery was meant to be and that Cassie was going to give them a miracle child.

As for the rest, I can read whatever I want into the characters, but ultimately I have to go by what the show is telling me. And they don't seem to see Nick as mentally ill. Only women are mentally ill in Sheffer world. Men are either losers or studs. No in between. Nick is, in their eyes, a prize stud.

• Members

I think these comments are confusing.

I agree that we don't need a story like that. Why do you think I would want that. Like Juliajms said below, this isn't me "spinning", this seems like the obvious direction we're headed in.

Where did I place blame on someone besides the writing team? You mean the blame I placed on the production team? Confused, LOL.

• Members

Yes, the production team blame, because they're only executing poorly planned and muddled writing in the first place.

Yes, I agree, it's probably the direction we're headed in SADLY...

As I mentioned in my edited post above, I laugh every time Hamner gives an interview saying how fans are not going to be able to guess what's going to happen, when most of us guess correctly what's going to happen almost immediately as a story begins these days.

• Members

The Billy aspect is the writer's way of finally (after viewers pointed out the obvious) develop a dynamic for Billy/Adam, though I must say they are doing it all wrong imo.

Phyllis' and Nick's role in this story in it's current state is an obvious method to "refresh" "replenish" or "redeem" their heroic values in many viewers eyes :rolleyes:

Archived