Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week February 1

• Members

ITA. And that view was reinforced when Engen played Adam.

When I think about the way Adam could have been written... sigh. It hurts almost as much as the way GH wrote AJ Quartermaine and purposely ruined him.

Adam Newman had so much potential... the chemistry with Heather... or when he and Nick came to blows and Nick called him "boy" and he just got right up into his face... or when Nikki bandaged his hand following a fall and Adam sort of hesitated, like he hadn't had somebody treat him that tenderly since his mother died, and then his face closed and he pulled his hand away. These were all moments were I sat up and thought "This is a character I want to know more about."

He has no more mystery now, he is just as cartoony as Patty Jane, but I still feel that Nick and Victor have done some majorly awful [!@#$%^&*] to people and NEVER get called on it. Nick drove his ex Sharon to the looney bin not so long ago. All he could do was bleat "sorry" and go hide behind Phyllis's skirts.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

God, Y&R sucks so bad, and is the worst I've ever seen it.

And yes, Emily's spawn better die. Hell, I'd settle for both Emily and her child dying at the same time, that's how much I hate this waste of a character.

Y&R is like a watered down version of Passions, except watching Y&R implode is a much more sad event to watch unfold.

• Members

Nick repeatedly used his mentally ill, damaged ex-wife as a blow-up doll. He knew how sick she was and he still went back for more, because it made him feel good. I can never get over that.

I think at one time they were trying to set Adam up as a sociopath, I think that was the main reason for the way he acted with Rafe and Heather last year. The problem was the story was so rushed that none of this worked, whereas there are years and years of the "good" people, like Victor and Nick, casually using and discarding various lovers and relatives.

Then they gave up on all that because they wanted to have the big brother against brother conflict over Sharon, which I think also fails, because it's all so forced. The show seems to think you just need to have men snorting at each other and spitting on the floor and that's all you need.

• Members

Carl I understand you but the thing that is missing to me in that assessment is that Nick isn't exactly the pillar of strength and stability himself, he's a weak man. I don't think it was just a feel good thing for Nicholas I truly think he felt that he was a part of Sharon's mess and I'm sure the character always felt Sharon was a part of his own mess. Nick has an unhealthy attachment to sharon, wholefully or broken he's lost without that character that's why he was so ignorant to her true sickness for so long

Yes this was horrid and ooc because they were selling it for so long that Nick blamed himself

• Members

I guess I don't care if he's a strong man, I just think anyone with a hint of decency would not have sex with someone in that emotional state. I know the show thought this was hot stuff, and romantic, and that it was all about what Cassie would have wanted, but I was disturbed by the whole thing. And then to top it off, we got to hear Jack tell Nick what a good man he was and how noble he was.

• Members

Yes, and I always thought that was really strong storytelling. Anyone would blame themselves in that situation. He is the one who convinced Sharon to let Cassie go out that night. I always accepted that as the reason Nick ran away instead of grieving with Sharon. To me, the whole thing made perfect sense. I can't remember if Sharon ever blamed Nick, but I think she definitely should have and it should have taken her a good long time to accept that it wasn't truly his fault.

• Members

I'm no more happy about the Emily story, but I now have a better idea of where it is going.

I thought Patty would use her stockpile of meds in the mattress to drug Emily and put her in a coma. Then, Patty would switch bodies and convince everyone that "poor Patty" overdosed.

Now I see it will be worse. Dr. Pee will be kidnapped somewhere, and Patty will plan to steal her baby ("It should have been MY baby. You stole my life, and now I'm stealing yours"). At some point (but not soon enough) Jack will wise up that this is not Emily. That's when the "psychological thriller" (quote TM Scott Hamner) will begin, as Jack tries to play Patty to find out Emily's real location. EXCEPT, how will they explain Patty's being missing from the padded cell?

PS: On the Michael Muhney twitter :lol:. That GOD someone is explaining sh!t :lol:. Otherwise I'd have no clue WTF was happening with his blindness, Dr. Taylor's death, or the blasted purple tie. THESE production failures do, sadly, have to reside on Rauch's shoulders and those of his team. PLUS, it makes me wonder if the breakdowns are lacking something in the way of stage directions.

PPS: I agree with ClassicMoment. We can't totally blame Nick for using a "mentally ill blowup doll" when he one himself.

• Members

Why the hell does Phyllis care what Adam is up to? It's not like she saw Adam push Dr. Taylor. She's like a dog with a bone and I don't get it. However, I am going to laugh when all this snooping leads to her finding out that Faith is Nick and Sharon's. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :lol:

Archived