Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week February 1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nick's motivations are hardly ever delved into. All we've known for the better part of a 4 years is that he's "torn" between two women who will degrade themselves to "win" him.

I think he's past using Sharon for sex as a mechanism to deal with Cassie and their broken marriage. He genuinely loves Sharon, whether any of the Phick fanbois and fangurls want to admit it, that's why he can't shake her out of his system. If Cassie didn't die and Nick and Sharon were divorced and separated, it would be the same way. He might love Phyllis too, but obviously it does not cut as deep if he's always running to Sharon and constantly trying to be her "hero."

We never see Nick's mental process, his dialogue and the way he comes off is as one big frat boy. There's no character writing on Y&R anymore, it's all ambiguous plot writing.

And if we're to care about this supposed backstory, why isn't it touched upon? The way it looks to most people is that Nick and Sharon use Cassie's death as a pathetic excuse to f.uck.

We never see any real conversations on this show anymore where characters eliminate some of their hidden motivations and tendencies. In the old days, the most gripping part about Y&R would be conversations between characters, even when nothing HUGE was happening.

Yep.

Exactly.

• Members

Carl and Turner already said it better than I ever could.

Bottom line is that the writers do not know what they want/write and Morrow just does not play any subtext anymore. I am willing to believe that he still deeply and truly loves Sharon, and I can see that as motivation for his actions because the writing has, in some ways, supported that. BUT, that love is used to excuse endless back and forths between Sharon and Nick, lots of gratuitous sex, WTD with 100 candidates, and just cheap, tacky stuff.

• Members

It's strange to see Neil talk to Phyllis after what happened with Dru and the cliff. I'm sorry but Phyllis should not be the one to find out about Adam and his misdeeds. That should be Ashley and Sharon. Phyllis is out of place in this storyline.

• Members

Well, putting Mac in a front burner story and DEFINING her through her behavior with JT...and possibly in a triangle...would be a way to fix that. Just sayin'....

So, I know the Sharon backstory bothers you, :lol:. It's not quite as egregious as Brad's Nazi backstory. But the two share a commonality (and I know I'm risking bricks for saying something good about the start of Brad's last big story): They filled in blanks...they didn't contradict or erase things we knew to be true. Indeed, Sharon's sluttery this last year plays well with her Diego and Cameron affairs. (Now, Brad's story was worse...because he lived openly...he didn't seem to be afraid of Nazis until LML made him Jewish).

I have zero problem with these 'backfill retcons' UNLESS THEY CONTRADICT WHAT WE PREVIOUSLY LEARNED. A perfect example of that is bringing P3 back from the dead. That was patently ridiculous on every level--and "unnecessary".

As a side note, I was irritated with LML when she used to script all these "childhood memories" for Nick and Victoria. It was actually nice to deepen that relationship...but we SAW those kids. They didn't overlap much, and both got shipped off to boarding school and Nick NEVER lived with his dad. That kind of retcon bothered me more, because it contradicted what we watched.

Sharon's stuff--from before we met her--not so much.

• Members

No it wouldn't, because like she's been an extension of Billy since she came back, she'll be an extension of JT/Kevin with no personality or life of her own without the longing for a man.

Why does Mac need to be defined through her behaviour with a man? Isn't there enough misogyny on this show?

And not like these writers ever think outside of the box, you give them way too much credit.

We need to cool this though, NO WAY IN HELL will this regime be giving JT and Mac a FRONTBURNER story, they're not the favourites of this regime.

• Members

That pisses me off so badly. This show has asked me to suspense my disbelief many times ( P3 coming back from the dead and chipmunks), but this is one thing that I can't accept. Nick is not smart enough to outwit Tucker. We have to see how Nick is the good son compared to Adam.

Archived