What network did you grow up with?

• Members

CBS all the way. The Price is Right, Y&R, a half-hour of news, and B&B, ATWT, and GL. My grandmother would watch me and my cousin during the summers, and she'd never let us watch what we wanted to watch on the kitchen TV until "after 3," which was when GL went off. It was a if you can't beat 'em, join 'em thing, so if it was too hot to play outside, we'd just sit at the table and watch the stories with her. Good times, good memories.

My brother was old enough to babysit me when I was around eight or nine, so I lost touch with the shows for a while, but I started watching AMC on my own when I was 11, and the others soon followed. Since then, I've never been loyal to any one network. I think it's sorta fun to mention that I tuned into AMC back then out of sheer lust. I was an 11 year old kid, and Jesse McCartney was an "older guy" who was totally worth looking at, and I just sorta fell into the rest of the show. I was such a fool those early years. I thought Marian was played by Cloris Leachman.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My family was totally into CBS soaps. I ventured out on my own and found the NBC soaps. I started watching all the newer soaps though during the 80's & 90's from the beginning like Loving, Santa Barbara, The Bold & The Beautiful, Generations, The City, Sunset Beach, Port Charles and Passions.

• Members

ABC, but the main focus being AMC, the rest of the shows were sort of "peripheral" until I was in my teens (though I have early memories of a scorpion stinging someone, and Luke and Holly doing it to "Baby Come to Me" on GH). My grandmother watched CBS, but I was always watching kids shows on the big TV. ABC, I remember characters and storylines, CBS, I remember faces (Kay, the Newmans, Kim, Phillip) and moments (opening themes, Kay's facelift, Nikki binge eating, a man on ATWT or GL finding out he had throat cancer... can anyone tell me who that was??).

• Members

Well, I was referring to my childhood, back in the '70's and '80's. But I guess we did watch the networks in blocks by night. I did watch some ABC (Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Eight is Enough, Soap, Benson) but practically no NBC until their comedies started taking off. We didn't even switch to NBC Thursdays until after Magnum ended (and reruns brought Cheers and Night Court to our attention). We were pretty much CBS people. Mash, All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett, Kojack, Hawaii 5-0....CBS was on a majority of the time.

I'm sure you'll be relieved to hear it's a little different now. But honestly, I don't watch NBC except for SNF, if ABC hadn't had LOST and Alias, I probably wouldn't have watched that for the last ten years. I only watch a few network shows, but it's still mainly CBS. NCIS and Survivor are must sees---I catch up on the Monday comedies after football season's over. I watch some of USA's stuff, I'm anxiously waiting for the new season of Burn Notice, and Bravo's Top Chef.

• Members

When I was growing up, my mother would watch CBS soaps live but would always tape NBC soaps to watch at night. Other then Guiding Light, I watched all of NBC soaps (DOOL, AW, and Santa Barbara) that my mom taped. When I was in high school/college, I would watch all the NBC soaps (Sunset Beach, Passions, and DOOL... where I went to college Sunset Beach aired at 12:30 AM so I could watch GL during the afternoon).

Right now, the only soap I really watch is DOOL and sometimes Y & R.

• Members

Growing up, my Grandmother (who has since passed on), my Mother and my Aunt all watched the entire CBS soap lineup. We didn't watch much of the other networks even in primetime really except for maybe a couple shows like Unsolved Mysteries or America's Funniest Home Videos. DAYS was the first soap I watched on my own. I was home from school on winter break in 1996, and something about ED's Kristen DiMera just sucked me in and I was immediately hooked. I tried to get into AW around the same time, but I never could. Never really got into the ABC soaps either (besides The City and PC), at least until we got Soapnet in '04, which is also when I finally got into AW through the reruns.

Now the only soaps I watch are DAYS and the soon-to-be-gone :( ATWT. Primetime is mainly the CBS Monday comedies and The Amazing Race when it's on, DH, B&S, and LOST on ABC, and 30 Rock, Jay Leno, the upcoming Parenthood (that show sounds all kinds of awesome), and the occasional SVU on NBC.

• Members

I grew up in Albany, NY and up there it used to be CBS all the way for almost everyone--first due to clear reception and then due to habit. We were one of the few TV markets in which CBS This Morning came in as Number 1. My mom was CBs all the way but, as time went by, she lost interest in everything except Y&R. I can remember us fighting over ATWT and Y&R regarding which was the show was better. She thought World Turns was silly and rural while I mocked Y&R's sham glam.

Archived