What network did you grow up with?

• Members

We were never 'network' fans. We didn't watch line ups in my home. My gram and mom got me hooked on AW (my first soap love - damn you Rachel Davis with all your taunting and teasing poor poor Alice Matthews). I think I bought my first VCR because of AW when they became available. I couldn't stand missing the show. I never got to see Robin Strasser in the role of Rachel Davis, only Vicki Wyndham. I was also a Ryan's Hope fan and the YnR was HUGE in my family - but not a soap I watched much of, only intermittently in the early days. I also watched the Guiding Light and General Hospital (sometimes watching one until fatigued and then switching to the other for a while).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was definitely an NBC fan, all the way. My mom started watching 'Days of our Lives' in 1966 and 'Another World' soon followed. She avidly followed those two shows and watched 'The Doctors' when it was on NBC. She got my grandmother into DAYS in the late 70s (though my grandmother never watched AW or any soap besides DAYS). I was born in 1979 and I remember watching 'Days of our Lives' and 'Another World' as early as 1982. My mom also tried the nap time trick during DAYS & AW and it worked in the beginning, but after the 1 day she let me stay up, I insisted on watching DAYS and AW every day. She also watched Texas when it was on, and I remember it some, though I never really knew the characters there like I did on DAYS & AW. In 1983 I believe, Search for Tomorrow moved to NBC. My other grandmother followed that one since the beginning, so I added it to my repertoire. Unlike Texas, I got into SFT and especially loved Hogan McCleary & Sonny Adamson (played by David Forsyth & Marcia McCabe, Chris Goutman's wife).

Santa Barbara premiered in 1984 and neither me nor my mother watched it at first. But my Aunt got hooked on it and tried to get my mom to watch. My mom eventually ended up checking out an episode- Kelly Capwell's wedding to Joe Perkins. At the reception, Cruz & Eden shared a now infamous (to SB fans) dance that had my mom entranced. She was immediately hooked, but I hated it because I didn't know the characters (I'd been spending my days with Marlena, Roman, Stefano, Liz, Neil, Alice, Tom, Bo, Hope, Pete, Melissa, Tony & Anna and Mac, Rachel, Donna, Michael, Vicky, Marley, Felicia, Cass, Cecile, Kathleen, & Wallingford for 3 years now). Plus, SB was on at the same time as He-Man.

Then we discovered it on the Canadian station at 4 PM and I was immediately hooked. The first episode I remember watching was when Gina pulled the plug on CC's life support and set up Eden for the crime. I was immediately obsessed with Marcy Walker. SB very quickly became my favorite soap. It helped that I never missed it at first because of the timeslot, so I could watch it year-round. By the time it moved to it's 9AM timeslot, we had a VCR and at age 7, I learned how to program that [!@#$%^&*] so I could watch AW, DAYS, and especially SB every day. Those were the days.

Even after SB was cancelled, I checked out SUN a few years later and sort of got into it. And after AW was yanked, I watched 'Passions' some, though I mainly watched for Tabitha & Timmy. I certainly never got into it because it was good soap, that's for sure.

Though I loved all my soaps and my old lineup, I do think it's fitting that 'DAYS' is the one NBC soap standing. IMO, DAYS was always the one that had the more universal appeal, hence the only one that all 3 generations of my family watched. I hope their ratings continue to hold strong and DAYS is on the air for years to come. I know it's going to really hurt my heart when it's eventually gone, and affect me in a way that no soap cancellation before it (even SB) has. When you have watched something like that for 27 years and have memories of watching it with relatives and people that have long passed or left your life, all of that comes flooding back when a show goes, especially a soap. With DAYS it will be like losing a (several) member(s) of the family.

• Members

I grew up on the ABC lineup: Ryan's Hope, All My Children, One Life To Live, General Hospital, Edge of Night.

Ryan's Hope I had vague memories, moreso of the actors/characters than actual stories, so it was nice to re-watch and watch anew the eppies on SoapNet. One thing...I always detested Roscoe Born as Joe--at 15 years old I mini-crushed on Richard Muenz--and, to this day, I've never been keen (dare I say, I've loathed) to see RB onscreen in anything.

AMC was the first soap I ever laid eyes on, back in the day of Donna Beck and Chuck Tyler. It's so far removed now from the soap I once enjoyed (despite the presence of Jesse, Angie, Tad) that I don't regularly watch although I know what's going on cuz it's the only soap my mom watches.

OLTL...ah, the days of Karen, Edwina, Marco, Ina's boarding house, Herb Callison, the Buchanans...and Viki and Clint (Ritchie, my alltime OLTL fave). Despite several hiatuses from the show (mainly during the early debut years of Marty, Todd, Patrick, Nora and reppearances of Mitch Laurence who literally turns me off the show), I would say OLTL is probably the soap I've had the longest-standing attachment to, even though I take breaks from it sometimes.

GH: the first episode I ever saw was when Scotty punched Luke off Frank Smith's yacht, setting off Luke and Laura's huge adventure. Exciting stuff. I was hooked. But then I got tired of the mob domination and all stories connected to Sonny in one way or another that I quit. I don't even go back to see the reappearances of Genie or Finola anymore.

EON I only got to see the last few years but what a unique show that was. And I loved Sky & Raven. I wish P & G would find another outlet online to post that show again, since the AOL one went bust.

Later on, I got into Days (the late 80s, when Steve and Kayla were beginning) and AW (which my mom had watched when I was a baby). The only CBS soap I ever watched was GL and that was only because I followed Larkin Malloy there after EON was cancelled.

• Members

I grew up on ABC mostly.

Routine:

Came home from school at 245, watched GH from 3-4 with mom. (On days when I got home late, we used to tape it on VHS and watch it.) Now we TIVO it and watch it at night.

On days when I was home from school I usually just watched OLTL, and then GH, but that was when I was younger. My mom also watched Y&R sporadically, and same with B&B, OLTL, and AMC (rarely). My mom also watched the earlier years of Port Charles I believe (until it started getting elike vampires and werewolves, and she stopped), so i caught that from time to time.

Well, now that I am older I have a different routine.

I come home and I watch GH at night on my tivo, cause I dont get home till fourish now.

Also, I usually watch DAYS on SoapNet at 6PM, though i dont see it every day.

On days when I am sick I faithfully watch OLTL, and when I am not sick I watch the full weeks episode on Saturday nights (or tivo them) when they reair on SOAPnet.

When I am home sick I also keep up on Y&R and B&B. I love B&B, but since it isnt on soap net I usually only see it on days when I am home from school Y&R I sometimes catch on soapnet at 7. Whatever soaps I miss for the week, I just look up recaps when necessary.

I started watching Y&R and B&B with my mom once and a while in 2004/2005. AMC i watch pretty faithfully over the summer, and during the year i catch some episodes on SOAPnet, or sometimes on ABC.

Over the summers now I watch all the soaps (except ATWT, cause I just never got into it and it doesnt air on SOAPnet, so it's pretty hard too).

So I grew up on ABC I guess. Watched GH every day of my life, and OLTL for the last ten years (pretty regularly). AMC sporadically.

Archived