Y&R/B&B: Brad Bell talks about soaps

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice read but the MadMen comparison I am not sure I buy. I'd love to know how they match up to other shows in daytime like popular network show reruns like L&O, which I have read actually draw a bigger auduence than 3 of the 6 soaps which will be left on the air. But I guess I would not expect him to say much different than this.

• Members

Oh PLEASE. Straight shooter my ass. :rolleyes:

Are there outs in the contract? Can CBS try to renegotiate if the ratings dip below expectations? Of course he would leave this information out.

And yours is? Putting together this cheap, tawdry wank show, filled with technical gaffs and terrible acting with little to no rehearsal. Letting your actors run wild and all over you and your production team?

But hey, good for you if it works, man. Good. For. You.

Their recent numbers are so good that they tied you in the households recently. WAKE UP, BRAD! You know you're having problems when a sh*t show like DAYS finds it's Nielsen second wind, again!

The most honest and real thing the man said in this entire interview.

And it shows. Right down to the boom mics penetrating the scenes.

That question is a moot point [Ridge]LOGAN![/Ridge] It's already starting to show. B&B looks so [!@#$%^&*] cheap and tacky compared to a year or two ago. Horribly staged and directed. So rushed.

KEEEP telling yourself that. JFP has her Emmy in the bag already. But there's always next year.

Mad Men also airs on CABLE, not network television! If B&B moved to E!(which is in just about every cable home in the country), I doubt they would still pull 3.5, 4 Million Viewers. But hey, who am I to sh!t on the parade?

Then ACT like it. Stop writing crap for stories, stop undermining your audience's intelligence with lame brained, rehashed from 15 years ago plots, and your cheap, trashy humor.

• Members

I honestly don't think it's about quality with any of these shows anymore. ANy of them. It's whatever stories they can shock the audience with. That's all Brad and Colleens deaths were this year. Y&R has turned into GH a death and then months of boredum and dullness. B&B I can't even put into words. I can't watch that show anymore. YOu can't be a fan of the show without worshipping Ridge and I detest him.

Days is the ONLY show having success and I wish they shows would really examine how Days did it. I'm doubtful though any of these shows could replicate the success they've had.

Bill Bell RIP.

• Members

Days went back to basics. Someone smelled the coffee in the nick of time but their biggest mistakes would be getting too comfortable whilst they are still on the air. The only thing the Bell shows can stand to take from Days imo is going back to basics by the Bill Bell standards but for many reasons I don't see that happening with the executed "visions". In Brad's interview it sounds sensible on one hand but when I think about it all I hear is "cheap". He should be very careful with what he's really cutting back on, same goes for the other Bell show. These shows HAVE no visionL; sometimes I feel as if I'm watching people work whilst watching them instead of watching graceful storytelling & productive art at work. The trick with being "frugal" in business many times is to work hard at making it seem the opposite, especially when the market is high strung

• Members

This is Brad Bell we are talking about. Yes B&B was good earlier this decade but he can never decide what he wants, relies too much on repetition and comes up with scatterbrained ideas (pairing Eric and Caitlin for a Lolita story, making Gabby a deranged disfigured psycho; both dropped last minute thankfully!!), atrocious PSAs (Hope in the hot tub; Massimo becomes an environmentalist; need I say more?) and shameless Emmy grabs. He is the only one to blame for any woes that B&B faces these days.

• Members

Totally agree. He definitely has the right attitude. (Unlike some, who just LOVE to bitch and spread negativity.)

Even Les Moonves, the a$$hole himself, says that the "special soaps" will survive. I would class Y&R, B&B, Days, GH and AMC as the "special soaps". OLTL is the only one I would be concerned about. BTW, when was the last time ABC cancelled a soap? CBS and NBC have both cancelled soaps in the last 5 years, but not ABC. So there might still be hope for OLTL.

Actually, Ridge hasn't really had his own storyline since he and Brooke got back together in September. And creatively, the show has been doing fabulously since.

Actually, I would've liked the bolded one. Gaby may have been vaguely interesting.

• Members

Oh, Brad. "It was time"? I know you're trying to come over all Aaron Spelling and TV mogul-ish but... STFU. Until you, William Shakespeare, produce a show which has the resonance of the 1970s soaps you claim the genre is reverting to, you need to SIT your ass DOWN.

Yes, B&B is good at the moment. But it ain't Bill Bell-great. And you know this show is always one SL away from Steffy turning out to be Dr. James Warwick's, allowing Ridge to start looking at his little princess with "different eyes."

(And no more "dingo" talk. Please. Let's insult with pithy asides and acerbic one-liners! We've got it in us to be more creative, bitchily-speaking, than the CBS Daytime message boards).

Archived