Y&R/B&B: Brad Bell talks about soaps

• Members

"Shameless Emmy grabs"??? If you're going to accuse Bell of this, point the finger at ALL soap EPs and headwriters, starting with JFP and SANTA BARBARA. It was the first soap to write Emmy shows and alter their shooting schedule so they took a number of days to shoot two episodes as opposed to the normal two days. That's why the Emmy process is greatly flawed. But if you think Bell is the only one who does this, think again. You really believe AMC's tornado last year wasn't a "shameless Emmy grab??" Come on!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Bell wants his family's shows to continue. I think he's looking at the hard realities and trying to come up with a production model that works. So you see the shadow from a mic boom occasionally. Who really cares? The golden era of soaps were riddled with these kinds of production gaffs. It didn't keep people from watching. In some cases it endeared the audience to the shows even more, like DARK SHADOWS. I'd rather have my soaps on the air, with fewer bells and whistles, than worry about reshooting a scene because you can see the shadow from a mic boom. Whatever you think about his show or storytelling, at least Bell is in there fighting, as opposed to P&G that pretty much just stood back and let their soaps go down the drain. Same for Ken Corday. He's probably the most loathed EP in the soap business, but he's still in there fighting to keep his family's soap on the air, too.

• Members

Everyone loves a special guest appearance from someone on the Bell-Phillip Payroll. ;)

The difference between JFP's Emmy Shows and Brad Bell's Emmy Shows is that the former actually wins.

And we see what happened to Dark Shadows. Eventually canceled.

And you can't even compare something like Dark Shadows to B&B. Dark Shadows was a camp classic that never had a budget, while B&B has always been a show with one. And without a budget, the show looks so sloppy and thrown together. The performances are awful(can we give the actors AT&T cards since they love to phone it in so much) and most of the directing these days is weak as hell. And people ridiculed Wheeler for her cheap sets, even before she changed her production model. Turnabout is, after all, fair play. You are absolutely entitled to not care about boom mics and camera heads and the occasional, accidental shot off camera. But it looks extremely amateurish and unprofessional. Especially when your story is weak as hell. You can't say that Brad shouldn't be immune from this sort of criticism that has been passed to everyone else in the industry. Why? Because he's Brad Bell?

I don't see "fighting" from Brad. What I see is more typical figurehead, arrogant nonsense coming out of this interview. Flippantly saying PGP didn't care about their shows. He has one hell of a nerve.

While B&B's numbers(no thanks to Y&R) continue to plummet to new record lows each year. DAYS' "return" to traditional storytelling should tell them something.

What I mean by rushed is exactly what Michael Logan(and even you, I believe, in another thread so casually wondered) asked Brad in terms of their being little-to-no rehearsal. It's painfully obvious. The actors are more concerned about spitting their lines out instead of worrying about what's on the page. I'm aware the economic reality of daytime no longer allows them the privilege of doing five takes of one scene. But I don't see anyone really jumping in and caring about their performances. At all. Everyone has gotten lazy. Just look at their faces. They're more concerned with beating rush hour traffic than actually caring about the scenes. But then again, who could blame them, given that B&B has an excellent recycling program?

• Members

What a horrible interview--if only for Bell's total ignorance of what is really going on around him! That part about being able to produce the show for even less was especially cringeworthy.

And his ridicule of MAD MEN, where all people do is talk... I'm sorry, wasn't that what happened on Y&R all the time? And to a lesser extent B&B?

Archived