New Zealand cancels DAYS & Y&R!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe it's definitely a possibility--a lot of the shows broadcast in Greece, for example, are done so because of either their high ratings, or their high praise by viewers and critics (whether that translates to high viewers is sometimes irrelevant for the acquisition). In the same vein, if some shows are a few seasons/years old already when they first show them there, and then they suddenly stop before the show crashes to hell, I view that as a very big coincidence ;). Long story short, yes, I believe they indeed do research on the products they are about to put on.

• Members

Haven't posted in months but I thought I might as well since it concerns me lol.

Well Y&R is now finished and it ended just as Lily was being sent to Juvenile Hall for breaking her bail conditions by having Phyllis sneak in to see Daniel (who is being held in custody for Cassie's death) and Gloria has just discovered that Tom Fisher is alive and in town, while Brittany and Bobby's ruse saying JT is the father of Brittany's baby has been discovered by Vinnie who bugged Paul's office. Nick had also buried Cassie's clothes etc etc.

Ironically back in 2005 i was downloading torrents of these episodes from the net and if I had kept it up then I wouldn't have missed anything but unfortunately back then downloading torrents just took too long and there was no Youtube (well at least not to the extent that it has grown today)so I eventually gave up on them lol.

To be honest though Y&R was becoming a bit of a burden to me anyway so I won't be bothering following the US episodes on the internet, though I am dissapointed that neither Prime, TV3 or Sky are interested in taking it up.

As for Days, it is somewhere during the Melaswen storyline (Jennifer on her way to the island). Days is still running and is scheduled to be taken off early next year. I haven't watched Days since 2004(1999 episodes) well except for the serial killer storyline which played out in NZ over the past year(gave up the show again just before Doug was killed as I lost interest).

Bold and the Beautiful is running on Prime and seems to be somewhat successful...though i don't watch it anymore.

to be honest though I don't think the current state of Y&R (or Days) had anything to do with the decision to cancel though because quite simply put TVNZ doesn't care about the two soaps enough to actually bother doing that sort of research. Both Y&R and Days have been treated as merely filler for at least the past ten years in NZ and I'm surprised they have lasted this long. TVNZ has been cost cutting for about three years now and I guess it just made more financial sense to extend Emmerdale to an hour (it still has a strong viewership) and fill up the remaining hour and a half with cheaper reality and Talk shows which will most likely get the same viewing figures.

Archived