B&B: November Discussion Thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I need someone to explain to me the Winsor Harmon appeal. I don't see it at any level.

I didn't think Clayton Norcross was any big deal, but I believed him as the mildly passive brother who grew up in his brother Ridge's shadow.

Then, of course, Jeff Trachta redefined the role. I guess I'm still hung on that "grand love" of his Thorne with Macy...those duets...that sense of "love overcoming warring families". I know a lot of people didn't like Trachta's ...what's the word?...flamboyance? But it bothered me not at all, because he totally sold me on his connection with Macy.

I don't get Winsor as Thorne. In real life, he's a loud, beer drinkin' Texas boy...and that's not Thorne! Thorne is an LA raised boy in a fashion family who has spent his life working in the basement. I don't see Winsor fitting into that world at all.

Most people here at SON just love Winsor, but I have never understood the appeal. He's my third-ranked Thorne.

• Members

I think he has the appeal of a nice guy who was paid his dues (both Thorne and Winsor)and don't get a whole lot of attention or respect for it. Thorne in the basement most of the time and Winsor on the backburner mostly. But he's not a soap hunk, imo and I think they probably should have recast him at some point if that's what it takes to make the character worthy of being written for.

• Members

Do you think that's the reason folks here always call for his Thorne? Because the neglect (in favor of newbies/high profile hires) seems injust?

Harmon just signed a new four year contract, so Brad Bell seems content to have him there, just languishing, as a prop. But I think that cheats both the actor and the audience (out of a viable Thorne).

• Members

I agree with you both. I think there's a lot more to WH and we get to see the glimpses of great acting only on limited occasions because of the weak storylines for him. The writers need to really let the guy show what he has! I also think there are a few characters who could do with some down time and watching newbies get storylines Thorne should have really irritates me.

• Members

I'm mostly caught up with this week, only Friday to go. Stephanie and Eric's scenes and of course Betty White's returns were the highlights. I actually liked Bill and Katie in the beginning, but for some reason their wedding and honeymoon bored me to death. I can't get over the feeling that this would've been the story of the year with Felicia in Katie's place. Resting all the drama on Donna and Eric's shoulders is boring. If Felicia married Bill it would involve all the Forrester's AND Logan's because you know how Felicia feels about them and they'd already taken over FC. Pretty much everyone except the Jackie M gang would be involved and it would've been fabulous. But that's B&B, always afraid to take a risk. I guess using Felicia in a story is too big a risk.

I hope Ann doesn't really die and can come back again. I love how horrified Pam was when she learned her mom was returning, lol. Also have been loving Stephanie, but I feel until they make her a lesbian she won't reach her full potential. I feel like Stephanie needs to be doing more and she can't go back to strangling Brooke and Donna every other week. I'd love for them to cast a great female actress to play off her in a romantic storyline. It would do wonders for the show.

I'm with Y&RWorldTurner that they need to stop making Sergei happen. My god. He is terrible. If you want a camp gay sidekick that's what you have Clarke for...

• Members

Oh god! Taylor can be such a disaster I don't know how I feel about that. The last time I liked her was during the writers strike when Kay Alden had her going crazy. I loved how she handled her relationship with Rick when it came to Brooke. That was pure comic gold. Katherine Kelly Lang played it like her whole family died. :lol: I just loved that. Rick and Taylor haven't recovered from that break up. I wonder what either will ever do. I especially miss Gay!Gorillick and all of his hysterics. Who needs Sergei when you have Rick?! He's like a male Sami Brady or old school Kimberly Harris.

• Members

As I sit here, drying some tears, I am reminded why I so love and so hate B&B. What a strong mix of emotions. No indifference. All love and hate, in equal mixtures.

This Ann Douglas interlude has irritated me to no end, because it was compressed into 2.5 episodes (max). From Betty White's appearance, her establishment at the beach (wearing red, smelling the salt air, dying of pancreatic cancer) to medical crisis to death was so rushed.

There is no denying that this deprived us of a lot of the emotional beats...but I guess some of them will happen later.

On the other hand, what they were able to pack into those 2.5 episodes was amazing--and it owes a great deal to Flannery, Mills, and White. White, in particular, was the revelation. We're so accustomed to seeing her as a comedic lead, but she clearly played regret, and sadness, and agony, and anger, and even a bit of humor during her brief stint.

So too, for a character who has so briefly been on the show, B&B had a nice mix of flashbacks to show why Stephanie might have multiple motivations for hastening the death of Ann...and why her forgiveness meant a great deal.

In these brief episodes, they hit most of the beats...the lack of a clear Living Will and DNR; leaving too many decisions open and uncommunicated to kin; sibling battles about what to do; the mix of old wounds and fresh hopes deciding what to do; the advantages and disadvantages of dying at home or in the hospital.

Moreover, there is no denying that B&B is -- and has been for a while -- the undisputed master of the LA-area location shoot.

Those beachfront scenes, as the Douglas-three faded in the setting sun, were as beautiful and touching as anything. Flannery's understated emotional repertoire again showed us why she is one of the premiere, non-schticky actresses of the genre.

And yet, as moved as I was, I couldn't help but wonder: What if this had played out over weeks or months? (Think about Felicia's "death"). Think how much richer this could have been.

At the same time, it is clear why it was as it was. 2 Episodes. Isn't that what the Emmys need? The cynicism of writing "Emmy shows" (and I realize they all do it, now...the game is rigged) is something I'm trying to forget.

• Members

I think Hammy might hurt any Emmy chances these scenes might have had. In the hospital she was so over the top it took me out of the emotion.

Comedic actors are often some of the best and most understated of actors. It takes a lot more talent to hit a comedic note than almost any other kind.

Archived