"Let’s Make a Deal" ratings are up but... mostly made up of older viewers

• Members

http://gawker.com/262672/rosie-odonnells-price-is-right-campaign-ends-in-tears

What changes did she wanna make? "Hot men showing off the showcases instead of just women," reports an attendee. Whoa, lady. America's not ready for that!

There were other media outlets that reported this as well.

Louie Anderson was bloody awful on the Feud. Always drunk on KFC and Evan Williams.

A TV-14 Match Game would rock my face off.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ian Ziering? Your'e fu@kin with me.

I don't know... if they offered him more money than he gets for his syndicated radio show, he might have dumped it and done TPIR. I think the industry sees Seacrest as the "Heir apparent" to Dick Clark, so he would have been good in the spot.

I actually like the broadway boys idea (I would, of course)... but the little old ladies who watch TPIR might not be able to handle it. I like the idea of two hunks, two "beauties"... a little something for everyone. But Rosie's stint on the view did alot of damage to her image. She went form being the "Queen of nice" to this big, bullyish loudmouthed dyke. If I had to choose a woman to host the show, I'd rather have had Janice Pennington do it than Rosie!

• Members

I've been fond of Vicki for years, she did a great job carrying the ball on Win, Lose or Draw when Bert Convy fell ill. But rather recently, I've wondered if she harbors a b!tch that she does a good job of hiding from the public. I say this because I watched the Mama's Family reunion on her talk show up on YouTube a few years ago, and she seemed passive aggressively rude to Beverly Archer (Iola). Maybe I, and some of the folks who made comments on the video, were looking too deeply into it, and we don't have the full story, but rudeness is a major turn off for me and it can break my fandom. :P

• Members

To add to RoseVioletDaisy's comments, GL just wasn't GL any more. I don't know if fans believed that GL would ever spring back to the top of the ratings. I have to wonder if (after 72 years) the anger fans felt was related more to the colossal 'F U' CBS seemed to give the show and the last of the viewers. GL may not have been the show it once was, but something was wrong with dismantling the show before fans eyes and having it seem as if no one cared enough to stop GL's destruction. If GL had to go, let it go on a creative high, but fans couldn't get even that much.

EW seemed to take delight in sticking a finger in fans' eyes. Her comments were abrasive and dismissive. She knew how unpopular BC's Jeffrey was, especially with Reva, and even at the very end she killed off the character only to bring him back in the most ridiculous way possible.

I also think that GL's demise was confirmation for fans that their other beloved soaps were closer to the end than anyone wanted to believe. Many GL fans were fans of other soaps so I can imagine that like myself, they knew that others were soon on their way out.

GL's end was just one great big ugly lesson in learned helplessness for soap fans.

• Members

No, to me, 72 years means "Wow, this show has had an amazingly long run, and now it seems like it has finally gotten to the point of winding down and ending the story." To be frank, I think it's [!@#$%^&*] bananas to expect a television show to last forever. It would have been canceled at some point. Why not cancel it when it's the least watched show on network daytime and getting some of its worst ratings everrr? 72 years. Heh. Watch the last week of shows again. You'd never know that this was the end of a show that had been on for 72 years. It was the end of what EW had managed to turn GL into.

Kennedy :wub:

Friend or Foe :wub: :wub:

No indeed Lawd! Never!!!!

Yes. His brother, Jack Narz (Now You See It, the 70s versions of Beat the Clock and Concentration), died last year.

Actually, I like the idea of having male Barker's Beauties. Have two beautiful ladies in gowns alongside to handsome gentlemen in suits, and when the time calls for it, they can be in their bathing suits as well. Male models have barely been used in game show history though.

My issue with Rosie was that she supposedly wanted to "gay the show up" or some silly [!@#$%^&*] like that. She wanted to make the set all pink, remix the theme song into a techno/trance arrangement, give away Koosh balls and trips to Fire Island, and yes, have half-naked boytoys showing off goods from Cuisinart and Michael C. Fina.

• Members

Oh MY!!! I'm the biggest queen on SON, and even I wouldn't be down for that! My issue with Barker's beauties is that they all look like fake breasted bimbos. Holly, Diane, Kathleen, and Janice had ELEGANCE and an air of class. It's like when they replaced Susan Stafford with Vanna... talk about a trade DOWN. Don't get me wrong, I love my boytoys... but they'd probably be a bunch of waxed metrosexual queens with herhsey's kiss hairdo's. I'll pass.

• Members

ITA. All television shows get cancelled eventually so all the soaps are going to be cancelled. It isn't being pessimistic or doom and gloom. They get stale so people get bored and stop watching. I felt bad when Santa Barbara was cancelled, but the show had gotten bad and it was obviously time go. GL had a good run, but it was at the end. There was nowhere for it to go other than down.

• Members

CBS keep sending me emails - begging me to watch LMAD - wonder if it's because I let them know that I was 3rd GL gen. had watched GL on CBS all my life, however since they took off GL I have not watched CBS daytime since 9/21, I still miss GL, but I don't miss CBS at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they would offer to pay me to watch LMAD and guess what I would tell them?

:rolleyes:

• Members

Game shows are awesome kthxbye! The ones on today just aren't that exciting and fun or all that challenging. It's unfortunate. The high drama of soaps can be perfectly balanced by the fun and excitement of a game show. It's just sad that soaps aren't that dramatic anymore and game shows aren't that fun anymore. :(

• Members

I think some gameshows today are fun and exciting and challenging. I think the biggest problem is with people in charge trying to fix what isn't broken or responding to budget cuts in the most unsubtle of ways. Wheel of Fortune, by far, is the biggest offender. I know alot of people who are turned off by all the extra crap on the Wheel that is complicated and makes no sense. The Million Dollar Bonus Round should be saved for a yearly "Best of the Best" instead of the complicated way they have to win it.

Game Shows aren't making their content more challenging. They're making the actual gameplay more challenging. And that's a big turnoff.

Archived